British Citizen, non EEA partner living in Australia

Old May 16th 2014, 1:35 am
Account Closed

amelirina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizen, non EEA partner living in Australia

Hi everyone,

I could not find threads related to a situation when both partners live in a third country and want to move to the UK. so hopefully you could confirm or correct my understanding of the law..or maybe advice on better choice?

as I understand, I would have to go back to my home country and wait for at least six months until he gets a job in the UK and only then apply for my visa. Unless he gets a job offer while in Australia... But even then, do I still need to leave Australia and apply in my home country?

Is there a chance for me to apply while I am in Australia? i am afraid that if we loose our current Australian visas and separate, it will be extremely hard to live together in one country in case the UKBA decides they have enough foreign girlfriends and makes the visa application even more complicated.

Thank you.
Old May 16th 2014, 1:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizen, non EEA partner living in Australia

You need to apply from a country in which you are a resident. What visa subclass do you hold and which passport?

If your partner has been earning the equivalent of £18,600 pa or more for the last six months then all he would need is a job offer in the UK earning above that threshold and you would be able to move together.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:31 am
Account Closed

amelirina is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

We wanted to apply for the ‘family of a settled person’. I am on his visa (sponsorship) and hold Russian passport

Our major concern is the continuity of his employment, we are not sure if his Australian employment would count in case he won't be able to find a job while in Australia.

Also, I never heard that he would need to have a job offer with the salary above the threshold...is it something new?

Thank you
Old May 16th 2014, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Read this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830478

These rules have been in place since 2012. It's not really new. You should try to understand the basics and then ask specific questions here.
Old May 16th 2014, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amelirina
in case the UKBA decides they have enough foreign girlfriends
Are you planning to get married soon? If you are applying as a partner, then you have to show proof that you having been living together, akin to a married couple, for a minimum of 2 years. You will need to pass an English test too. As said above, he then needs to show that he can afford to sponsor you.

Last edited by formula; May 16th 2014 at 10:17 am.