Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old May 8th 2013, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
But I am wondering if you applied on savings alone - assuming you have 62,500 GBP - whether it would then be successful. Not sure if the requirement is that he be resident in the UK full time or not.
I think the requirement is; but the evidence requested would not show one way or the other whether the sponsor was working in the UK or elsewhere.

So if you apply saying: "I want to live in the Uk with the kids but my husband will only join us every few months and will work abroad" you will probably fail. If you apply saying "we want to relocate to the UK as a family and have enough savings to meet the financial requirements" you will probably be OK. The morals, ethics and legalities will surely be debated at length by others on here. Bear in mind that postings made here can also be read by ECOs.
Old May 9th 2013, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
But I am wondering if you applied on savings alone - assuming you have 62,500 GBP - whether it would then be successful. Not sure if the requirement is that he be resident in the UK full time or not.
It is a requirement and it's the whole point of the spouse visa.

281. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom with a view to settlement as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement are that:

(i) (a)(i) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement; and......

........(ii) the parties to the marriage or civil partnership have met; and

(iii) each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner and the marriage or civil partnership is subsisting; and

(iv) there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and

(v) the parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and

(vi) the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity; and

(vii) the applicant does not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal.
Refusal of leave to enter as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or being admitted on the same occasion for settlement

283. Leave to enter the United Kingdom as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement is to be refused if the Immigration Officer is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 281 is met.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...ivil_partners/
Old May 9th 2013, 11:14 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

It's a global world. People work in different ways. Why can't someone be resident in the UK and still work outside of it? How would it be wrong for a British citizen to work outside of the UK as long as he was resident there when he was off?
Old May 9th 2013, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
It's a global world. People work in different ways. Why can't someone be resident in the UK and still work outside of it? How would it be wrong for a British citizen to work outside of the UK as long as he was resident there when he was off?
You make a valid point rebeccajo, but as I posted above, the point of the spouse visa is that the couple intend to live together in the UK.
Of course one can be resident in the UK and still work outside of it. I was and did myself for 3 years before we made the move home but I was not applying to sponsor my husband during that time.
I'd be interested to see if anyone has come across any guidance on UKBA stipulating the length of time that the sponsor could be out of the country without the spouse and still maintain the conditions of the visa.
Is it there in black and white or is it one of those areas open to the interpretation of the individual ECO?
Old May 9th 2013, 2:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a crock. How on earth a government can choose what sort of job a sponsor is allowed to have is beyond me. Fly in/fly out work is a job, not a jolly out. Why should a sponsor quit a well paying job that they're qualified for, and pay income tax on, to scramble around for any old thing going - assuming there actually was something going.
I'm sure the govt. wouldn't refuse the sponsor's income tax as well as the spouse visa.
Old May 9th 2013, 2:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
You make a valid point rebeccajo, but as I posted above, the point of the spouse visa is that the couple intend to live together in the UK.
Of course one can be resident in the UK and still work outside of it. I was and did myself for 3 years before we made the move home but I was not applying to sponsor my husband during that time.
I'd be interested to see if anyone has come across any guidance on UKBA stipulating the length of time that the sponsor could be out of the country without the spouse and still maintain the conditions of the visa.
Is it there in black and white or is it one of those areas open to the interpretation of the individual ECO?
Larrabee, I know that the rules are the rules but another perspective - my UK citizen husband has been working fly in/fly out for years, he spends every single day that he's not working at home with me. If anyone suggested to me that we are not living together I'd laugh in their faces!
Old May 9th 2013, 5:47 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Well - I'm sure it's not in black and white anywhere.

As near as I can see, it doesn't need to be. As long as the UK spouse/sponsor is resident in the UK and they earn the stipulated amount......that's all the Home Office really cares about.
Old May 9th 2013, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole business has come about because a bunch of incompetents have drawn up rules that do not work. "Not fit for purpose". In order to limit arranged marriages commonly made by certain nationalities, piece-meal rules have evolved which simply foul up the lives of many Britiah citizens. Perfidious Albion !
Old May 9th 2013, 6:38 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by scot47
The whole business has come about because a bunch of incompetents have drawn up rules that do not work. "Not fit for purpose". In order to limit arranged marriages commonly made by certain nationalities, piece-meal rules have evolved which simply foul up the lives of many Britiah citizens. Perfidious Albion !
Wot he said. Whatever that was
Old May 9th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Well - I'm sure it's not in black and white anywhere.

As near as I can see, it doesn't need to be. As long as the UK spouse/sponsor is resident in the UK and they earn the stipulated amount......that's all the Home Office really cares about.
I don't really think that this is the case. Are we not constantly being told that the goal is to reduce immigration from the 100,000's to 10,000's?
Old May 9th 2013, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

I think the whole thing is a crock - at least, for people like us, who just happened to marry someone whose country isn't part of the EU. America and Australia aren't exactly 3rd world countries!!!!
I guess retirees and already getting SS outside of the UK, we aren't fit for any purpose (Scot 47) as far as they are concerned.
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I think it's a crock. How on earth a government can choose what sort of job a sponsor is allowed to have is beyond me. Fly in/fly out work is a job, not a jolly out. Why should a sponsor quit a well paying job that they're qualified for, and pay income tax on, to scramble around for any old thing going - assuming there actually was something going.
I'm sure the govt. wouldn't refuse the sponsor's income tax as well as the spouse visa.
Old May 9th 2013, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Wonder if 48 years is long enough to be NOT called a marriage of convenience
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Wot he said. Whatever that was
Old May 9th 2013, 7:22 pm
WhiteRabbit

I don't really think that this is the case. Are we not constantly being told that the goal is to reduce immigration from the 100,000's to 10,000's?
Yes that is the purported goal.

But they can't make up reasons to turn someone down if the case fits the rules.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gailc
I guess retirees and already getting SS outside of the UK, we aren't fit for any purpose (Scot 47) as far as they are concerned.
Retirees are actually in a slightly better position than many, as the pension, which can be either foreign or UK, of both the sponsor and the applicant can be taken into consideration when assessing the financial requirement.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gailc

Wonder if 48 years is long enough to be NOT called a marriage of convenience
Only 22 years here but should be enough too, don't you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.