Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Yes, me too
You make it sound as if you knew about it, before it was made public - so why didn't you inform everyone then?

MaI PEN RAI.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
I was referring to the Visa application prices............
Yes, me too
You make it sound as if you knew about it, before it was made public - so why didn't you inform everyone then?
The increase in visa application fees were published on 25th February, I have a copy of the pdf on my computer from that date. The normal April change of fees was on the UKBA news feed, which is a useful feed to be subscribed to for those interested in UK visas.

Last edited by roaringmouse; Mar 18th 2013 at 4:32 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

MaI PEN RAI.
No I think you misunderstand me. What I was saying was that increasing the fees its the order of the day (ie to make money). Sorry if it was confusing...
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

No I think you misunderstand me. What I was saying was that increasing the fees its the order of the day (ie to make money). Sorry if it was confusing...
Yes. I agree - but the annual, is now taken as the ''norm'' by most of us, This rise, however, is far in excess of the cost of living rise.

This is designed to put us all off, from returning, so that the 'Immigration', can say they are controlling it.

My Wife, has just done her ILR Settlement application, and paid £991, with the form.... If she is unsuccessfull, which we would both dread, then she will have to pay £1366 the next time, as there is no refund.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I agree - but the annual, is now taken as the ''norm'' by most of us, This rise, however, is far in excess of the cost of living rise.

This is designed to put us all off, from returning, so that the 'Immigration', can say they are controlling it.

My Wife, has just done her ILR Settlement application, and paid £991, with the form.... If she is unsuccessfull, which we would both dread, then she will have to pay £1366 the next time, as there is no refund.
We will be in the same position, Don. There is no doubt that this is a meant to deter as many people as possible We are paying the price for an out of control EU immigration policy I wish you and Tim a speedy and successful outcome to your application
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

We will be in the same position, Don. There is no doubt that this is a meant to deter as many people as possible We are paying the price for an out of control EU immigration policy I wish you and Tim a speedy and successful outcome to your application
Thanks. I really don't think my close friends and family, realise, how harrowing this is. - Got a Wife, but just because she happens to be from a country, we have never invaded, or conquered - then they make it so much more difficult. Have a look at the sad cases, on www.immigrationboard.com.

Some of them, are heartbreaking. Thanks again, take care.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. I really don't think my close friends and family, realise, how harrowing this is. - Got a Wife, but just because she happens to be from a country, we have never invaded, or conquered - then they make it so much more difficult. Have a look at the sad cases, on www.immigrationboard.com.

Some of them, are heartbreaking. Thanks again, take care.
Tell to you the truth, Don, I am afraid to read them Maybe when I am in a better frame of mind...today is one of those days when you know if you pile on too much you will lose what's left of your sanity
Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tell to you the truth, Don, I am afraid to read them Maybe when I am in a better frame of mind...today is one of those days when you know if you pile on too much you will lose what's left of your sanity
I know exactly where you are coming from - Yesterday, although we have no savings, and our only income, is Tim's part time job ( taxed at source) and my pensions, (one of which takes the tax element before I get it), we got a letter, telling us we owed £168=50, and as it was owed from last year, they were adding a pound a day penalty, until it was settled....... So I paid it.

Then I rang my Son in Law (who was my attorney while we were in Thailand) and he produced papers, to show it was paid in 2010 by monthly debits. - so he has now put in an over-payment claim, for two refunds!

Cheer up and smile - it may never happen!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know exactly where you are coming from - Yesterday, although we have no savings, and our only income, is Tim's part time job ( taxed at source) and my pensions, (one of which takes the tax element before I get it), we got a letter, telling us we owed £168=50, and as it was owed from last year, they were adding a pound a day penalty, until it was settled....... So I paid it.

Then I rang my Son in Law (who was my attorney while we were in Thailand) and he produced papers, to show it was paid in 2010 by monthly debits. - so he has now put in an over-payment claim, for two refunds!

Cheer up and smile - it may never happen!
Oh my, how aggravating! Hope he gets it worked out for you. Yes, I think it was Mark Twain who said I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:03 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

In the news yesterday, the case of a newly-wed British woman whose non-EEA husband's spouse visa application was denied. He's been told to go back to his home country just as their baby is due to be born.

She says,
"I'm faced with having my first child on my own because my husband might get kicked out the country. I feel like the Government are trying to force me out because I married a foreigner."
Apparently, she was certain he'd get the visa because her income meets the new requirement comfortably, but because she's self-employed only some of her earnings satisfy the rules.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...tion-laws.html
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by WEBlue
In the news yesterday, the case of a newly-wed British woman whose non-EEA husband's spouse visa application was denied. He's been told to go back to his home country just as their baby is due to be born.

She says,
Apparently, she was certain he'd get the visa because her income meets the new requirement comfortably, but because she's self-employed only some of her earnings satisfy the rules.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...tion-laws.html
I think they are beginning to get a bit out of hand.
My father flew in a Lancaster as a gunner throughout WW2, my older sister's father lost his life at Dunkirk.
They and a lot of others like them, were fighting for us, their families and children for a free England.
I think they would be disgusted to know that their own children - born and raised in England by English parents - are basically banished from their own country because they made the 'mistake' of marrying someone from another country.
My father was in the RAF, my husband in the USAF and my oldest son served and retired recently from the USAF. We are NOT the deadbeats that the British government if trying to stop - I understand the reasons for the rules from some countries, but to lump us all in the same boat, especially when some of us in that boat are spouses of a country that country has been allies for so long, despite differences at times - is wrong!!!!!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

www.youtube.com/watch?v=esh1BRQRMws - Cached.Play Video hope this is the right link I posted . Its on you tube under Keep Families together UFFFL
Old Mar 30th 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by morayeel
www.youtube.com/watch?v=esh1BRQRMws - Cached.Play Video hope this is the right link I posted . Its on you tube under Keep Families together UFFFL
Thank you - haven't had a chance to look at it completely, but looks interesting -
although in our case, we are retired and the US is certainly not a third world county (or though that may be soon ).
Thank you again
Old Mar 30th 2013, 4:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gailc
I think they are beginning to get a bit out of hand.
My father flew in a Lancaster as a gunner throughout WW2, my older sister's father lost his life at Dunkirk.
They and a lot of others like them, were fighting for us, their families and children for a free England.
I think they would be disgusted to know that their own children - born and raised in England by English parents - are basically banished from their own country because they made the 'mistake' of marrying someone from another country.
My father was in the RAF, my husband in the USAF and my oldest son served and retired recently from the USAF. We are NOT the deadbeats that the British government if trying to stop - I understand the reasons for the rules from some countries, but to lump us all in the same boat, especially when some of us in that boat are spouses of a country that country has been allies for so long, despite differences at times - is wrong!!!!!
Don't feel alone gail, they're trying to keep their Aussie allies who are married to UK citizens out too. Maybe in my case, it's because the UK thinks I might be descended from one of the 'criminals' they transported over here

We won't be put off though, we'll spend ridiculous amounts of money to buy the right to retire in the UK as we've always planned to do, and do our bit for the economy while we're there. It's those who can't meet the financial requirements that I so feel for, with a particular emphasis on families in which the wife/Mum is the UK citizen and has been out of the paid workforce while having and bringing up children. How the hell someone in that situation is expected to both have a current job paying the required amount, and also to be able to waltz into a similarly paid one in the UK, is beyond me.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Don't feel alone gail, they're trying to keep their Aussie allies who are married to UK citizens out too. Maybe in my case, it's because the UK thinks I might be descended from one of the 'criminals' they transported over here

We won't be put off though, we'll spend ridiculous amounts of money to buy the right to retire in the UK as we've always planned to do, and do our bit for the economy while we're there. It's those who can't meet the financial requirements that I so feel for, with a particular emphasis on families in which the wife/Mum is the UK citizen and has been out of the paid workforce while having and bringing up children. How the hell someone in that situation is expected to both have a current job paying the required amount, and also to be able to waltz into a similarly paid one in the UK, is beyond me.
Thanks 'spouse of scouse' I agree - we aren't giving up yet either though.
I understand their rules for non EU countries or anyone who just goes to England to live, not because they want to, but for the benefits they will get.
There are plenty of them there now - but just like here in the US since 9/11 happened, any non-US citizen who had a so called permanent visa was punished because of what happened and now, we are being punished by our own country because of what OUR own government has allowed to happen.
The only thing people like us want is to go to our own country, be with what is left (in our case anyway) of our families there and be able to enjoy the things we enjoy doing as long as we can.
We are both retired, and receiving SS from here (US) and that won't change, but the rest of the money is tied up in our house, which we (unless they change something) would have to sell before my husband can even apply.
I hadn't realized until I found this website how many of us are in the same position. I would like to know how many people living in England or almost anywhere have $62,000 laying around in banks they don't need.
What is ridiculous is that you can't even use that money to buy a house.
I know the saying misery loves company' - but not sure it helps that much
Very unfair and the people who thought all this stuff up are complete morons in my opinion!!!!
They should stop and think - allowing us back brings our numbers up and we can 'overtake' so to speak -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.