Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:18 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

If, when I (hopefully) return with my non EU wife, I live in my non-mortgaged home and rent out 2 of the 3 bedrooms for a total of £700 pcm with a signed formal contract and bank statements to show this is the case, can this £8,400 per year be counted towards my £18,600 income?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rukiddingme
Our property does meet the above requirements, but the only fly in the ointment is the mortgage. I'm thinking about the part where they don't want to carry out a 'balance sheet', to figure it out. There's nothing there that says after costs are met, or net of mortgage/loans... which I find quite interesting given that they're supposed to be following these rules exactly.
It seems like an exceptionally generous definition of rental income. In fact, it's not a definition of income at all, it's a definition of "gross receipts". It would be like counting a self-employed person's gross receipts as their income without regard to their business expenses. Methinks this is actually rather a large loophole that some could take advantage of.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It seems like an exceptionally generous definition of rental income. In fact, it's not a definition of income at all, it's a definition of "gross receipts". ...
On the other hand from an income tax standpoint it's not the least bit unreasonable. If you claim it is all (taxable) income and you have no expenses at all then who is the government to argue with you?

You just won't get away with having it both ways. Catch-22.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light

Hello British Expats!

I am just trying to wrap my head around the financial requirements for sponsoring a non-EU spouse. I am a UK citizen currently living in Toronto (on the IEC) and am due to marry my Canadian fiance in July (in Canada).

We were hoping to move to the UK after getting married but I'm having a minor nervy breakdown looking at these rules and requirements! I was hoping someone could clarify a few questions for me - forgive me if these have been answered already in this post, I've scrawled through a bit but still feeling confused!

Would it be mandatory for me (as the sponsor) to be working in the UK for 6 months (at the yearly salary of £18,600) before my husband can apply for the visa? Or, if one of us has prospective employment sorted before we come over, would this be enough?

If we were coming over together from Canada, without jobs, how much would we have to have in savings? At first I thought this would be £16,000 - but I think I may have misunderstood that and it would maybe be more?

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 11th 2012, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

CostaTheGreek is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, so im slightly lost, forgive me please if im swimming against the tide or breaking rules, first timer...

Situation: My British wife and I have been married & living in South Africa for 27 years..
She is Brit by birth , came to South Africa at age 5. and has a valid Brit passport. My kids are over 18 and have ancestral passports... I have a South African passport, but have been to Britain on business this year to London.
We wish to return to UK and take up a life and establish ourselves... I believe she can just arrive? But needs to apply for residency?

Question: What about me? What kind of visa do I need to apply for to go there with her?? Possible?

Last edited by CostaTheGreek; Nov 11th 2012 at 7:24 pm. Reason: errors
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CostaTheGreek
Ok, so im slightly lost, forgive me please if im swimming against the tide or breaking rules, first timer...

Situation: My British wife and I have been married & living in South Africa for 27 years..
She is Brit by birth , came to South Africa at age 5. and has a valid Brit passport. My kids are over 18 and have ancestral passports... I have a South African passport, but have been to Britain on business this year to London.
We wish to return to UK and take up a life and establish ourselves... I believe she can just arrive? But needs to apply for residency?

Question: What about me? What kind of visa do I need to apply for to go there with her?? Possible?
By the sounds of your "name" do you qualify for Greek citizenship? You may go over then as an EU national (providing they don't exit first)
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopeintoronto
Hello British Expats!

I am just trying to wrap my head around the financial requirements for sponsoring a non-EU spouse. I am a UK citizen currently living in Toronto (on the IEC) and am due to marry my Canadian fiance in July (in Canada).

We were hoping to move to the UK after getting married but I'm having a minor nervy breakdown looking at these rules and requirements! I was hoping someone could clarify a few questions for me - forgive me if these have been answered already in this post, I've scrawled through a bit but still feeling confused!

Would it be mandatory for me (as the sponsor) to be working in the UK for 6 months (at the yearly salary of £18,600) before my husband can apply for the visa? Or, if one of us has prospective employment sorted before we come over, would this be enough?

If we were coming over together from Canada, without jobs, how much would we have to have in savings? At first I thought this would be £16,000 - but I think I may have misunderstood that and it would maybe be more?

Thanks so much!
The savings which has to be in your bank for 6 months prior to your move is 62 000 pounds,
Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:32 am
Just Joined

CostaTheGreek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply indeed, appreciated.
I am a third generation of Greek descent in South Africa, and unfort do not qualify for European Passport, so purely South African passport...
Any feedback into getting back to the UK with my wife of 25 + years appreciated...

Originally Posted by feelbritish
By the sounds of your "name" do you qualify for Greek citizenship? You may go over then as an EU national (providing they don't exit first)
Old Nov 12th 2012, 7:43 am
Just Joined

rukiddingme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello British Expats!

Thanks so much!
Only your employment income counts as you are the sponsor, so ideally you are currently working, earning over the minimum £18,600, and have a job offer in the UK for more than this amount too! If the employment income is less than £18,600 you can use savings to make up the shortfall. But, your first £16k is not taken into account. This is just for the leave to enter requirement, subsequent apps take the spouse's income into account too.

If your spouse got a job offer in the UK he could be sponsored by the employer, which is I think the way that I'm looking at going, then after 6 months of being there you can kick off the spouse visa app. The difference is that the spouse's income is also counted towards the £18600 at that point. Also, it adds 6 months to the process of obtaining indefinite leave to remain. But, for me, the spouse visa route is just too hard when you're overseas, and my OH has the possibility of transferring with his current employer so it's more straight forward for us.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you so much for the replies! It's making more sense now.

I think we will also be looking at finding my husband-to-be a job first, and then getting his employer to sponsor him. He is a teacher and I believe there are a few programs which help Canadians to teach in the UK and obtain working visas. If anyone has experience of this - please let me know!!

Sorry, another question - if I was to have a job in the UK for £18,600 (which is unlikely...even down in the South not many employers will pay that to recent graduates!) would I still need to have £16k+ in savings, or is that only if my salary isn't as much as £18,600?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road

I think we will also be looking at finding my husband-to-be a job first, and then getting his employer to sponsor him. He is a teacher and I believe there are a few programs which help Canadians to teach in the UK and obtain working visas. If anyone has experience of this - please let me know!!

Sorry, another question - if I was to have a job in the UK for £18,600 (which is unlikely...even down in the South not many employers will pay that to recent graduates!) would I still need to have £16k+ in savings, or is that only if my salary isn't as much as £18,600?
Only if you're salary isn't as much as
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

But you will also need to have earned at least the CAD equivalent of 18600 for 6 months before going back if you want your UK salary to be accepted.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice
Question Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
But you will also need to have earned at least the CAD equivalent of 18600 for 6 months before going back if you want your UK salary to be accepted.
Wait, what? You need to have a job that pays £18,600 or you have to have earned that much in a 6 month period??? I am totally confused now.

I thought you had to have a job lined up that would pay £18,600 a year but it sounds like you are saying the UK citizen has to be working in the UK for 6 months and has to have made the £18,600 in that time is that correct?????
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:13 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
Wait, what? You need to have a job that pays £18,600 or you have to have earned that much in a 6 month period??? I am totally confused now.

I thought you had to have a job lined up that would pay £18,600 a year but it sounds like you are saying the UK citizen has to be working in the UK for 6 months and has to have made the £18,600 in that time is that correct?????
If you are returning from overseas, you have to prove that you have been in employment overseas that paid minimum £18,600 pa for at least the previous 6 months, plus you have to have proof of £16,000 in your bank for the previous six months, plus you have to have confirmation of a job in UK paying £18,600 which will start (I think) at the latest, 3 months after you enter.

If the job offer in UK is less than £18,600 (say it is £17,600) then you have to have additional savings equal to (I think) 2.5 times the shortfall - eg for a salary of £17,600 you would need an additional £2,500 in the bank.

Obviously if you have no job offer you need 2.5 x £18,600 in the bank plus the £16,000 = £62,500

If you are applying for your spouse while you are in UK, and they are not, you have to have the £16,000 in the bank, and have been in employment paying £18,600 pa for 6 months before they can enter.

That is my understanding of the situation.

I have called the UK Embassy in Abu Dhabi and spoke to a lady there who advised that there is no leeway in the rules.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 2:19 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

.... also does anybody know the answer to my earlier question:

If I rent out 2 rooms for total £700 pcm x 12 = £8400 pa, can this count towards my income total (I would have bank statements and a contract as proof)

Anybody in the know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.