Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:33 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

I've just been to the Dubai based UK Embassy. They don't have any visa department/staff there any more. They told me to call VFS, but I explained that they don't know much more than the common person - they just process the visas.

The Dubai Embassy gave me the number for the UK embassy in Abu Dhabi where they do have a visa section. I called them, and to be brief they said thay can't give any advice about individual cases, only advice about the application process. I asked the following questions, raised the following issues:

Is there absolutely no leeway on the specific requirements eg if I had a job earning £18,599 pa - No

There is no allowance for individual circumstances eg if you own a house, if your non EEA spouse has savings/a job, if you have been married for 20 years - No

Is there any likelihood that there will be changes in the future to take into account individual circumstances (many of which have been illustrated on this thread) - No

So, if I do not meet the requirements exactly I either have to live overseas with my wife or I have to live in UK whilst she lives overseas - yes

Don't you think this is more than slightly unfair and Draconian - I can't comment.

Is there anything I can do to raise the issue - write to UKBA or the Home Office or your constituency MP.

Not very encouraging - back to the drawing board
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

jezza1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I've just been to the Dubai based UK Embassy. They don't have any visa department/staff there any more. They told me to call VFS, but I explained that they don't know much more than the common person - they just process the visas.

The Dubai Embassy gave me the number for the UK embassy in Abu Dhabi where they do have a visa section. I called them, and to be brief they said thay can't give any advice about individual cases, only advice about the application process. I asked the following questions, raised the following issues:

Is there absolutely no leeway on the specific requirements eg if I had a job earning £18,599 pa - No

There is no allowance for individual circumstances eg if you own a house, if your non EEA spouse has savings/a job, if you have been married for 20 years - No

Is there any likelihood that there will be changes in the future to take into account individual circumstances (many of which have been illustrated on this thread) - No

So, if I do not meet the requirements exactly I either have to live overseas with my wife or I have to live in UK whilst she lives overseas - yes

Don't you think this is more than slightly unfair and Draconian - I can't comment.

Is there anything I can do to raise the issue - write to UKBA or the Home Office or your constituency MP.

Not very encouraging - back to the drawing board
Too be fair to the ECO or whoever you spoke to, they're just doing their job. Doesn't mean they have to agree with the rules (believe me, most of my ECO colleagues don't) but they have no choice but to comply with them.

As for whether there will be changes in the future, that's not for a visa officer to comment on either, because quite simply put they don't know. That's down to the government. What I will say though, from personal experience, is when changes have been implemented in the past we are asked our opinions about them. And ECOs are very honest and will say if the think something is wrong and will offer alternatives. And that information does get cascaded up. It's just a shame that ECOs are not asked for their views BEFORE changes are made. The problem with these new rules is that the ECO no longer has any discretion when it comes to issuing or refusing. Even if they can see an applicant is credible, decent and wouldn't be a burden on the country etc, they can only work within the rules. All powers of discretion went out the window when these changes were introduced.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
:
As far as know the applicants savings are taken into account as well as the sponsor's.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

jezza1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gmralston
As far as know the applicants savings are taken into account as well as the sponsor's.
Savings, yes. Income no.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm coming to this late in the day.

I'm a British citizen living in the US with American wife. Want to retire back in Scotland. Is there some new rule making this harder?
We're retiring, not looking for another job although we expect to have significant saving/investments in IRA's/401K's/SS etc

Last edited by Hotscot; Oct 30th 2012 at 9:18 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 9:33 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I know I'm coming to this late in the day.

I'm a British citizen living in the US with American wife. Want to retire back in Scotland. Is there some new rule making this harder?
Yes, the rules changed last July. For some it has definitely become harder.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si.../15-family-mig

We're retiring, not looking for another job although we expect to have significant saving/investments in IRA's/401K's/SS etc
The specifics of the new financial requirements:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary
Old Oct 30th 2012, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Looks like we'll be ok with our retirements savings although bummer it now takes five years to gain permanence.

However I do absolutely sympathise with those in a financial predicament, and here I thought those with a valid loving stable marriage would have no problem.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 31st 2012, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

yangzhou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, new to this forum.

Been searching for all the relevent information but head is absolutely all over the place with regards to settling back in the UK with the wife. The official website for a start is a mess and no help whatsoever. It just seems to offer no actual advice or guides.

Anyway, I have lived/worked in China now for over 3 years. I recently got married out here and we are expecting our first little'n in Feb. We've recently started seriously thinking about relocating back to England in around 3 years time. I didn't think this would be as complicated as it sounds, though we just went over for 3 weeks and even getting the family visit visa was a big hassle, so I should've known.

Anyway, a couple of things are different to the norm with our circumstances, especially since most of the stuff on the UKBA website seems applicable to British nationals in the UK and wives outside. Firstly, we are (well she is) self-employed. She has her own company, from which we run an English school. I initially met her as my boss but you know, one thing leads to another and all that. So if we were to move back, it was planned that we'd go back and set up some sort of business. Which is a stumbling block as I wouldn't be able to prove I could support her by earning £18k+. What if I was earning the required amount but from a Chinese company (ie our own) but paid into a Chinese account. On the other hand, we plan to take over around £100k in savings if we do go back, which would mostly be her own money. Would this have any influence on the visa?

I realise I'm rambling a bit and might not have explained myself very well, but would love a bit of advice.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"What if I was earning the required amount but from a Chinese company (ie our own) but paid into a Chinese account. On the other hand, we plan to take over around £100k in savings if we do go back, which would mostly be her own money. Would this have any influence on the visa?"

I'm in somewhat a similar situation, when we move I don't necessarily want a job but I will have substantial retirement assets.

From reading the past few links it looks like you'll be ok with that level of savings and also I believe the income from the Chinese company is admissible.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

If I'm wrong someone can correct me.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand too, your savings would be more than enough.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

yangzhou is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, wasn't expecting such quick responses. That's filled me with a bit more enthusiasm then! The Chinese company would cease after a move as it requires us to be in China for the day to day running. Would my wife be allowed to earn money in the UK after any move? I'm pretty sure she'd be allowed to work, though I couldn't find anything in black and white on the website. Would she be allowed to set up her own company (as she won't be looking to work for anybody else) or would it all need to be in my name?

Thanks for the quick responses hotscot and michali
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Sarus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yangzhou
Hi all, new to this forum.

Been searching for all the relevent information but head is absolutely all over the place with regards to settling back in the UK with the wife. The official website for a start is a mess and no help whatsoever. It just seems to offer no actual advice or guides.

Anyway, I have lived/worked in China now for over 3 years. I recently got married out here and we are expecting our first little'n in Feb. We've recently started seriously thinking about relocating back to England in around 3 years time. I didn't think this would be as complicated as it sounds, though we just went over for 3 weeks and even getting the family visit visa was a big hassle, so I should've known.

Anyway, a couple of things are different to the norm with our circumstances, especially since most of the stuff on the UKBA website seems applicable to British nationals in the UK and wives outside. Firstly, we are (well she is) self-employed. She has her own company, from which we run an English school. I initially met her as my boss but you know, one thing leads to another and all that. So if we were to move back, it was planned that we'd go back and set up some sort of business. Which is a stumbling block as I wouldn't be able to prove I could support her by earning £18k+. What if I was earning the required amount but from a Chinese company (ie our own) but paid into a Chinese account. On the other hand, we plan to take over around £100k in savings if we do go back, which would mostly be her own money. Would this have any influence on the visa?

I realise I'm rambling a bit and might not have explained myself very well, but would love a bit of advice.
You can bypass the financial and job requirements if you can show untouched savings of 62,000 pounds in the bank for six months before the application.

It's all about the money.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No problem. I was where you are just two days ago. I've done a lot of reading since then.

Here's another piece of info...sorry if it's a bit morbid but if you're going through the five year wait until your wife can get permanent residence and if you died, they do have a process for that.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...aved-partners/

Last edited by Hotscot; Oct 31st 2012 at 5:40 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Wow, wasn't expecting such quick responses. That's filled me with a bit more enthusiasm then! The Chinese company would cease after a move as it requires us to be in China for the day to day running. Would my wife be allowed to earn money in the UK after any move? I'm pretty sure she'd be allowed to work, though I couldn't find anything in black and white on the website. Would she be allowed to set up her own company (as she won't be looking to work for anybody else) or would it all need to be in my name?

Work wise, she can do anything a full resident can do, except claim benefits of course. Never read about probation residents not being able to set up a business so I assume that would be fine too.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by callowman
HI Nicola-Nope you wont need any extra for the kids if they are British passport holders- at least some sunshine out of a great storm eh ?
Thanks, and then just to clarify, we need 64k for my hub's sponsorship? He's the breadwinner, so he'll be getting a job as soon as we arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.