Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Brit looking to move back the UK from Canada with his EU wife

Brit looking to move back the UK from Canada with his EU wife

Old Feb 14th 2021, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Ben in Canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit looking to move back the UK from Canada with his EU wife

Hi,

I'm looking to return to the UK. My situation can't be unique, but I am really struggling to find information relevant to me.

I'm British and married my EU spouse in 2013. She arrived in the UK in 2002, firstly as an undergraduate student, then from 2006 as a post graduate student, and then worked in the UK from 2010 until 2015 when we were both offered jobs in Canada. We were married in 2013 and have both been living in Canada since 2015. We now have a Canadian daughter, but are planning on getting her a UK passport.

Neither of us were living in the UK or EU through the Brexit process, but would now like to move back to the UK to be closer to my family. All of the information that we can find is either for people living in the UK or the EU, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Ben
Old Feb 14th 2021, 8:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit looking to move back the UK from Canada with his EU wife

Does your wife have a National Insurance number?
Old Feb 14th 2021, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Does your wife have a National Insurance number?
Yes, and we have both filed UK tax returns every year we have lived in Canada as we rented out our home while we have been away (accidental landlords!)
Old Feb 14th 2021, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben in Canada
Yes, and we have both filed UK tax returns every year we have lived in Canada as we rented out our home while we have been away (accidental landlords!)

So wife was living in UK on spouse visa/work visa ?
Old Feb 14th 2021, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

No, no visa necessary. She is an EU national. The issue is that all of the Brexit related allowances seem to require that you are resident in the EU at the moment, which we are not.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

No, no visa necessary. She is an EU national. The issue is that all of the Brexit related allowances seem to require that you are resident in the EU at the moment, which we are not.

Duhhhh.... sorry; read Canada and thought Canadian........
Old Feb 14th 2021, 11:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In that case she should apply for settled status from Canada. If she is offered pre-settled status then you should opt to provide the extra evidence to ensure she receives the full monty. Once granted she'll be able to move back visa-free. After three years residence then she'll be eligible for naturalisation which I think she would be wise to consider. You both may wish to take out Canadian citizenship before you leave as well if you are eligible.

https://www.gov.uk/eusettledstatus