Bringing wife back to UK

Old Oct 31st 2012, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bringing wife back to UK

Originally Posted by mikelincs
So it's a god given right, if you are married to an American to just up sticks and go there.. there are no visa requirements, same with Canada, and I assume almost certainly with Australia and New Zealand.
I suspect the authorities might just have something to say about that.
I'm not sure what your point is here.
Are you saying it's NOT a god given right to be able to live with your husband or wife in either one of the countries in which you were born and raised?
I honestly think it is.
It's my world as much as anyone else's and I ought to have the right to be with the ONE person I have chosen to spend my life with.
Don't I?
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Laowai
I'm not sure what your point is here.
Are you saying it's NOT a god given right to be able to live with your husband or wife in either one of the countries in which you were born and raised?
I honestly think it is.
It's my world as much as anyone else's and I ought to have the right to be with the ONE person I have chosen to spend my life with.
Don't I?
Of course it isn't a God given right.
If you were living in UK with your US spouse, and wanted to move to the US, you would have to meet the US immigration guidelines and financial requirements, why is this any different?
Old Oct 31st 2012, 3:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If you were living in UK with your US spouse, and wanted to move to the US, you would have to meet the US immigration guidelines and financial requirements, why is this any different?
exactly what I posted, he didn't like my post so he won't like yours. If he looks at the 'Read me' at the top of the page on the forum he will find all the rules and regulations.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly it could have been handled differently.

For example, simply disqualify the spouse from any benefits at all until a certain amount of taxation has taken place on their behalf.

I'm more annoyed about the five year wait until my American wife can get permanent residence. I don't like being morbid but if we retire back in the UK and I died would she be deported within the five year window?
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:54 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Possibly it could have been handled differently.

For example, simply disqualify the spouse from any benefits at all until a certain amount of taxation has taken place on their behalf.
I agree. Other countries (including the US) have more reasonable savings/income requirements, and/or allow co-sponsors, and/or allow the applicant's earnings or earnings potential to be taken into consideration.

I don't like being morbid but if we retire back in the UK and I died would she be deported within the five year window?
You probably need to research this. There used to be (under the old rules) a category of "Bereaved Partner" application for settlement. Here's a UKBA page that seems to address the possibility of bereavement:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...aved-partners/

Last edited by WEBlue; Oct 31st 2012 at 6:26 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...that's a relief...kinda
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mikelincs
exactly what I posted, he didn't like my post so he won't like yours. If he looks at the 'Read me' at the top of the page on the forum he will find all the rules and regulations.
It's not a question of liking or disliking your posts, I simply have a different point of view. I'm aware of the rules and regulations but I don't agree that they are right. If you think they are fair and reasonable, fine, I have no wish to change your view
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I agree. Other countries (including the US) have more reasonable savings/income requirements, and/or allow co-sponsors, and/or allow the applicant's earnings or earnings potential to be taken into consideration.
And have much lower income requirements in relation to median family income (coupled with the barring of access to benefits for a certain period). A far more reasonable and sensible approach to the draconian one adopted by the UK.

Immigration is a hot button for the British and all too often a convenient scapegoat for its problems. This article from the recent issue of The Economist whose cover read "The Tories' barmiest policy" is about other aspecys of UK immigration, but it makes pertinent arguments as to why the current government's policies are flawed:

http://www.economist.com/news/britai...ng-term-damage

And the leader from the same edition:

http://www.economist.com/news/leader...603b9fd9577f0e

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 1st 2012 at 12:05 am.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Soooo to summarize my situation. (Some facts may not be relevant but I include them anyway.)

I'm a UK citizen. (Also US citizen but that probably does not matter.)

Been living in the US for 12 years.

Married to my American wife for 10 years

In 5 years or so we want to retire to Scotland. (Not completely retire, wife is a writer and will work from home. She is a teacher here and has several degrees..maybe irrelevant)

We should have ample retirement funds to show financial support. (May keep a property in the US.)

Wife should have no problem gaining her first 2.5 year visa.

Then after first 2.5 years we need to apply for another 2.5 year visa. (Will need to demonstrate financials again.)

After 5 years in total she can apply for permanent residence.

(No draconian travel restrictions during waiting period, holidays, conferences abroad?)

I'll appreciate any comments thank you. This site is wonderful.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Laowai
It's not a question of liking or disliking your posts, I simply have a different point of view. I'm aware of the rules and regulations but I don't agree that they are right. If you think they are fair and reasonable, fine, I have no wish to change your view
It really doesn't matter whether we agree with the rules of the income guidelines (which I think are a little high for just two people in many parts of the country) But it is what it is and theres nothing us whining about it can do to make the guidlines any easier for you or anyone else to meet.

Personally I think the US minimum income is too low, seeing you are barred from any government help and chances are would struggle on the money and should anyone becomes very ill it would all end in tears.
However the US does allow other family members to put their income forward to help applicants meet the requirements and I think that would be a good idea for UK also, co sponsors or whatever they are called seem like a great idea.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 5:42 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I must agree generally, however in my humble opinion spouse migration represents only a trickle of migrants, most being valid and able and willing to earn there keep rather than feed off the many tax payer funded services set up and funded by tax payers who in some circumstance dont qualify to use such services.

Looking at the bigger picture, the UK were happy to sign EU agreements that has allow Millions to flood our shores, without any real character checks or abilities to sustain themselves etc,
Aprox 1 year from now countries like Turkey, Romania will be able to move freely within the EU, where do you think they will go?

What is the UK answer to its immigration problems? Make it tougher for a British citizen to make a life for their foreign spouse which are just a trickle compared to the millions of vagabonds that are here or on there way.

Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:11 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle
I must agree generally, however in my humble opinion spouse migration represents only a trickle of migrants, most being valid and able and willing to earn there keep rather than feed off the many tax payer funded services set up and funded by tax payers who in some circumstance dont qualify to use such services.

Looking at the bigger picture, the UK were happy to sign EU agreements that has allow Millions to flood our shores, without any real character checks or abilities to sustain themselves etc,
Aprox 1 year from now countries like Turkey, Romania will be able to move freely within the EU, where do you think they will go?

What is the UK answer to its immigration problems? Make it tougher for a British citizen to make a life for their foreign spouse which are just a trickle compared to the millions of vagabonds that are here or on there way.

How do the millions of EU migrants sustain themselves?
Old Nov 1st 2012, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle

This is exactly why this is all about appearance rather than substance on the UK government's part.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 4:58 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This is exactly why this is all about appearance rather than substance on the UK government's part.
That about sums it up, parliamentary drongo's in control of the fifth largest economy.

Its hard to know who's in control