Don't know what to do now??

Old Aug 5th 2012, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Busymum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Don't know what to do now??

Hi all
I am hoping to return to the UK soon with my 2 children after living in Egypt for 10 years. After everything that's been going on there recently and the ongoing troubles, I have decided that a move back to the UK is the best thing for my children.
I am just starting the process so everything is in the air and all the information gathering is making my head spin, on top of which due to the new rules, I have just found out that my husband of 10 years and father to my children may not be able to join us. I just don't know what to do now, how can i move for the safety of me and my kids and then tell them that their father can't stay with us....it's becoming a nightmare.
Is anyone else going through a similar situation or can anyone give me advice on what to do next?
Once we get to the UK i will be looking after the children as they are too young for school and we don't have the relevant savings to qualify for my husband to stay with us. If I'm at home with the kids, how can I work to try and be eligible for the financial side of things? I just don't know what to do now!!!!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't know what to do now??

Originally Posted by Busymum
Is anyone else going through a similar situation or can anyone give me advice on what to do next?
Unfortunately you are the exact type of person who will find it very difficult to sponsor a non-EU spouse into the UK under the new rules - a stay at home parent. There's been much said against the new rules on this forum, some by me but also by quite a number of other people.

Your best option for moving soon is probably to see if you can be "economically active" in a different EU country (eg Ireland, France etc) and then after at least 6 months of that use the "Surinder Singh" route into the UK by using EEA rules.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying roaringmouse, I had read quite a lot of the threads on this topic, I know some agree with the new law and some who don't. It's just frustrating for me because I can understand the ideas behind what they want to do but putting everyone in the same bracket and using the financial situation of people is not always going to stop the wrong people coming into the country.
My husband doesn't want to come to the UK and sit on his **** and just watch the benefits rolling in, he wants to come and be able to work to support his family, and after the kids get a bit older and are at school, I intend to work too.....arghhhh it's just frustrating.
But thanks for the advice
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I see from your newer posts that you have sorted out the problem regarding your nonEU husband returning to the UK to live. That is great to hear! It would be interesting and possibly helpful to others in a similar situation to learn how you have dealt with this problem. There are so many families it seems faced with this dilemma.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi Michali
Unfortunately no, the problem is not solved, I only wish it was. Although you are right that we are still going to be moving. My husband will come to the UK on a tourist visa and have to return to Egypt when it expires, he will get a multi-entry visa and come back as often as he can. So, while the UK government is being shown to promote togetherness and keeping families together, in our situation, it will break our family apart but until things change, what can we do?
It will be extremely hard for my 2 children and myself but we have to move for the sake of their education, well being and our safety.
If anyone has any other helpful advice, it will be much appreciated and of course, if we ever solve the problem I will certainly share with others who maybe in the same situation.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad you have a plan though it is certainly not ideal for you. I hope there is a better way so that your family does not have to be split up in between your husband's visits.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by michali
I am glad you have a plan though it is certainly not ideal for you. I hope there is a better way so that your family does not have to be split up in between your husband's visits.

I am hoping someone out there has an answer....at the moment we don't see any other way
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that someone (or many) challenge the new rules to allow co sponsers to make up the income, or take the foreign spouses income into account also. It isn't a fair rule when the UK side of the marriage is the one who either earns less or is the one who does the childcare in the home. Both incomes or other family memebers willing to co sponser need to be allowed.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Our problem is made worse because as my husband is Egyptian he would have difficulty in using the Europe route to gain access to the uk because he would need a sponser to get a visa to enter Europe, he only gets a uk visa because of me and the children. If we could find someone in the UK that could sponser him with employment then he would be allowed to stay.
Just keeping fingers crossed for a change to the law.....
I understand that the government wants to keep out certain people but if the reason is to reduce sham marriages it's not going to work because from what we see here in Egypt it's the young lads here who hook up with wealthy older european women and then make their way to the UK. The new law will let these people in and once they have their papers....off they go!! My 10 year marriage and family seem to have no significance to the government.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 5:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone has any other helpful advice, it will be much appreciated
I am hoping someone out there has an answer....at the moment we don't see any other way
Formula!!!

Calling Formula....

Helpful advice needed. Surely you have some pearls of wisdom to offer.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

You can "sponsor" his move to the EU by just mivubg as a family. Then go to the UK 6 months later. That's about the only option
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
You can "sponsor" his move to the EU by just mivubg as a family. Then go to the UK 6 months later. That's about the only option
Hi, sorry to hijack, we're also looking at all possible options here....when you say sponsor, do you mean with the savings of GBP62,500 or is there another way? I've looked up the Surrinder Singh process but am not keen...2 small kids to consider and it seems underhanded.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicola1
Hi, sorry to hijack, we're also looking at all possible options here....when you say sponsor, do you mean with the savings of GBP62,500 or is there another way? I've looked up the Surrinder Singh process but am not keen...2 small kids to consider and it seems underhanded.
It's not really underhanded.

The other Anglophone EU country is of course Ireland. Dublin is a nice city from which to visit the UK frequently. Rural Ireland is relatively cheap.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by holly_1948
It's not really underhanded.

The other Anglophone EU country is of course Ireland. Dublin is a nice city from which to visit the UK frequently. Rural Ireland is relatively cheap.
Perhaps underhanded is a bit too strong a description, but it seems unusual in any event. However, having two small kids in limbo for 6 months probably wouldn't work for us. What if the loophole were closed whilst you're in limbo?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicola1
Perhaps underhanded is a bit too strong a description, but it seems unusual in any event. However, having two small kids in limbo for 6 months probably wouldn't work for us. What if the loophole were closed whilst you're in limbo?
It's not a loophole, it's a perfectly legal way of going about things that has been tested in court. The UKBA/government doesn't like it but there's currently nothing they can do to change it. It is treaty rights that are being exercised.

The only way this route could be eliminated is if the UK leaves the EU (or possibly even EEA). Although the talk of this is increasing, it won't happen in the current parliamentary term so the earliest would be after 2015 - even then there's likely to be plenty of time between the decision and implentation of leaving the EU, and whatever the consequences may be of that happening should start to become known before it happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.