Bringing son and wife from Brazil to the UK

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 8:09 am
Just Joined

mhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing son and wife from Brazil to the UK

Hi

I'm a full British citizen, married to a Brazilian (as of 27/07/2015) We had been dating long distance (visiting each other around twice a
year) for around 6 years before this, and have a son born last October.

So my I'm assuming that before applying for the spouse visa, I have to register my son as a British citizen.
I think I understand the process and that' it's basically a form to fill in along with proof that's he's eligible, though I'm not sure what qualifies as proof. My name is on his Brazilian birth certificate if that would count as proof if translated?

Then for my wife coming over, we'd be staying with my parents for a few months (to help them bond with their grandson, and so we can get settled before setting up a new home) I earn over 18.6k, and she speaks fluent English (though I believe she needs to take a test to prove that) As far as I see it, I meet the requirements, but lack understanding of what documents are needed and how to obtain them.

Thanks,
Matt
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 8:23 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing son and wife from Brazil to the UK

Originally Posted by mhorne
Hi

I'm a full British citizen, married to a Brazilian (as of 27/07/2015) We had been dating long distance (visiting each other around twice a
year) for around 6 years before this, and have a son born last October.

So my I'm assuming that before applying for the spouse visa, I have to register my son as a British citizen.
I think I understand the process and that' it's basically a form to fill in along with proof that's he's eligible, though I'm not sure what qualifies as proof. My name is on his Brazilian birth certificate if that would count as proof if translated?

Then for my wife coming over, we'd be staying with my parents for a few months (to help them bond with their grandson, and so we can get settled before setting up a new home) I earn over 18.6k, and she speaks fluent English (though I believe she needs to take a test to prove that) As far as I see it, I meet the requirements, but lack understanding of what documents are needed and how to obtain them.

Thanks,
Matt
Simplest way with your son is to get him a British Passport, he is already a British Citizen by birth so doesn't need any registration.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Requiremants for Spouse visa here

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family.

read through those and come back with any questions.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can't apply for a spouse visa dependent on your current income in Brazil, UNLESS you already have job waiting for you in the UK, again earning 18,600 and above and starting within three months of your return to the UK.

Read the following document carefully for rules of the financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ugust_2015.pdf
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 10:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Consular birth registration is optional but recommended. You can also use your son's consular birth certificate to obtain his British passport.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You can't apply for a spouse visa dependent on your current income in Brazil,
I'm living in the UK - the relationship has been long distance with visits

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Consular birth registration is optional but recommended. You can also use your son's consular birth certificate to obtain his British passport.
Thanks, I'll go this route since providing evidence for the passport doesn't seem to make sense any other way.

On www.gov.uk/register-a-birth it mentions to get his birth certificate translated and certified, though offers little explanation about how to validly get it translated and certified.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 6:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'll go this route since providing evidence for the passport doesn't seem to make sense any other way.

On www.gov.uk/register-a-birth it mentions to get his birth certificate translated and certified, though offers little explanation about how to validly get it translated and certified.
https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

You'll need a professional translation done locally and then have that certified or use an online service like Straker.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Tosin009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Bringing son and wife from Brazil to the UK

Hey Bud!

I am in the exact same shoes as you. My wife and son are back in Brazil and i am in the process of applying for a spouse visa for my wife. I advice you apply for a british passport for your son, i did the same and it only took 3 weeks.

secondly, your wife needs to take the english test (ESOL A1) its the most basic english test she should be able to pass it. Look on Gov website for list of exams and schools that offer these exams.

My wife is taking hers next week so fingers crossed. After pasing the test, you want to put a pack together. This should have lots of pre marrital pictures, wedding pictures, whatsapp conversations, skype conversations and any others to show that your relationship is genuine.

After you should write a letter to show the embassy that she can live with you here in the UK, you need to be earning £18600 and must show at least 6 months worth of payslips of regular income coming in.

We are going through this, i have contacted a few lawyers and got my facts. But it is an expensive process so dont get too upset when yo take a peep into your bank account lol. Buzz me if you need any help.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tosin009
Hey Bud!

I am in the exact same shoes as you. My wife and son are back in Brazil and i am in the process of applying for a spouse visa for my wife. I advice you apply for a british passport for your son, i did the same and it only took 3 weeks.

secondly, your wife needs to take the english test (ESOL A1) its the most basic english test she should be able to pass it. Look on Gov website for list of exams and schools that offer these exams.

My wife is taking hers next week so fingers crossed. After pasing the test, you want to put a pack together. This should have lots of pre marrital pictures, wedding pictures, whatsapp conversations, skype conversations and any others to show that your relationship is genuine.

After you should write a letter to show the embassy that she can live with you here in the UK, you need to be earning £18600 and must show at least 6 months worth of payslips of regular income coming in.

We are going through this, i have contacted a few lawyers and got my facts. But it is an expensive process so dont get too upset when yo take a peep into your bank account lol. Buzz me if you need any help.

Hey

Curious how you got your son's british passport.
Did you issue it from England or Brazil? I'm trying to get it from England.
But they ask for two pictures taken in the last month and I can't get that as my son's in Brazil. It seems it'd take longer to get documents translated and certified by the consulate in Brazil than to do it here using Straker.

But even if I get them to translate and certify, do I need to submit his originals in Portuguese too? They're also in Brazil.

Just wondering how you did it, as it's proving complicated.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Curious how you got your son's british passport.
Did you issue it from England or Brazil? I'm trying to get it from England.
But they ask for two pictures taken in the last month and I can't get that as my son's in Brazil. It seems it'd take longer to get documents translated and certified by the consulate in Brazil than to do it here using Straker.

But even if I get them to translate and certify, do I need to submit his originals in Portuguese too? They're also in Brazil.

Just wondering how you did it, as it's proving complicated.
All British passports are issued from the UK, & have been for several years.

As your son is resident in Brazil (IIUC), use the link given above to apply for a British passport from overseas. Your wife gets the photos of your son, according to specifications, & includes them with the application. Or if you're doing the application, she sends them to you to include.

Read the guidelines carefully for the document & translation/certification requirements carefully; the consulate in Brazil won't do it for you, & in fact has no direct involvement.

It might *look* complicated to start with, but if you work through the forms & refer to the guidelines, methodically, it should become clear.

Then you start on the visa application for your wife. Which will be tedious, but given the details you have provided, shouldn't be a problem.