Born in Rhodesia

Old Mar 15th 2016, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

darthspringbok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Born in Rhodesia

Hi,

I was reading and found that because of my family situation my sisters and I might be British citizens by birth.

My sisters and I were born in Rhodesia 1973,1975 & 1978 and immigrated to South Africa with our parents in 1979.

Our father was born in South Africa in 1946 and held a "British Colonies" passport when his family immigrated to Rhodesia when he was a child. His parents were both born in South Africa and each held a "British colonies" passport.

Our mother was born in Northern Rhodesia in 1952 and has held a British passport since birth. Her mother and father were born in Bristol and London respectively.

Given this information and that I have read that people have been identified as British citizens from birth with similar family histories, can anyone advise where we stand?

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Born in Rhodesia

There a reference on philipgamble site about births in Southern Rhodesia in the 70's but it requires a British born grandfather. If your father's Brit nationality could be passed down (depends on his status then)to you, it is possible you could be. However Dates/places are important.
As British Nationality law can be very complicated, you could do the initial free check on Gamble site to see if it is likely, unlikely etc
also read the blog: https://philipgamble.co.uk/blog
Old Mar 16th 2016, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Is your mother a British citizen by descent, or otherwise than by descent? Were her parents (or one of them) in Crown Service at the time of her birth?

What citizenship do you & your siblings hold?
Old Mar 16th 2016, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie_329
There a reference on philipgamble site about births in Southern Rhodesia in the 70's but it requires a British born grandfather. If your father's Brit nationality could be passed down (depends on his status then)to you, it is possible you could be. However Dates/places are important.
As British Nationality law can be very complicated, you could do the initial free check on Gamble site to see if it is likely, unlikely etc
also read the blog: https://philipgamble.co.uk/blog
I agree that the site you mention frequently in your posts can sometimes be helpful.

However, and with the utmost respect, continually posting said site, without contributing to the actual questions asked, is starting to look to me as if you have a vested interest in doing so. I may be mistaken, of course.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darthspringbok
Hi,

I was reading and found that because of my family situation my sisters and I might be British citizens by birth.

My sisters and I were born in Rhodesia 1973,1975 & 1978 and immigrated to South Africa with our parents in 1979.

Our father was born in South Africa in 1946 and held a "British Colonies" passport when his family immigrated to Rhodesia when he was a child. His parents were both born in South Africa and each held a "British colonies" passport.

Our mother was born in Northern Rhodesia in 1952 and has held a British passport since birth. Her mother and father were born in Bristol and London respectively.

Given this information and that I have read that people have been identified as British citizens from birth with similar family histories, can anyone advise where we stand?

Thank you in advance.
Even if the OP turns out not being a British Citizen, as long as he or she is a Commonwealth citizen, the OP can still apply for an UK Ancestry visa as one of his / her grandparent was born in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

The UK Ancestry visa allows the holder to work or study in the UK and can led to British Citizenship after 6 years of residence in the UK (ILR after 5 years and British Citizenship a year after ILR).
Old Mar 17th 2016, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I agree that the site you mention frequently in your posts can sometimes be helpful.

However, and with the utmost respect, continually posting said site, without contributing to the actual questions asked, is starting to look to me as if you have a vested interest in doing so. I may be mistaken, of course.
HI Was the site down yesterday? I was not able to access.

re: People come to the forum to find out information and since I am not an expert on British Nationality claims, and that query seemed quite involved I thought the person might need expert advice. The reason I mention Philip Gamble is that I have had friends and acquaintances from South Africa and Zimbabwe/Zambia over the years, etc, who have looked into their potential British Nationality via PG. That's how I know of them. Therefore I feel its relevant to point people in that direction because PG have a free assessment online which shows straight away if British nationality is definite, likely or unlikely. I think this is a good service. I know that obtaining BC, if you live in those countries can be a lifeline, so I feel its important people can get expert advice if they want it at the outset.

I can categorically state that I do not have association with PG professionally or otherwise, and never even spoken to them. My main interest (I am a retired relocation consultant ) is just helping people with information and good contacts, like I used to do in my work.

I hope this clarifies my post... and reassures you as to my motivation.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

British women could not automatically pass on their citizenship to their children until after 1 January 1983. If you were eligible for British citizenship you would need to be registered under S.4C BNA 1981 using Form UKM. Since registration is free (other than a £80 ceremony fee which would be refunded if your application was unsuccessful) then it might be worth making an application and seeing what happens before spending a lot of money consulting Philip Gamble or similar. You should however apply to retain your South African citizenship first.