Which is the best way to get a job permit.

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Hokie Fox 19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which is the best way to get a job permit.

Hi guys

I am a Brit trying to move to the US to work i just had some questions about the best ways and what will help the application.

1. Will me having a bsc in Geology degree and that i studied abroad at Virginia Tech help me.

2. What is the best way to get a job to come over on a visitor visor and apply or just apply from home or just ask a company to transfer me?

3. Will having a american girl friend help me ??

4.Will me being only 21 help or hinder me?

5. Will my dad working for a american company and traveled to the us help at all ?

6. Finally I have done work experience with Conoco Phillips a american oil company will that be a huge plus for the application.

I would much appreciate any help and especially if any geologists or related scientists could help with what they did to gain a job in the USA.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:02 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is the best way to get a job permit.

Tech's a good school. Geology, however, is likelier to get you an oil and gas job if anything. I live in Houston. Companies here are looking for geologists but ideally they should have O&G experience. Apply for geology-related jobs with O&G companies in Aberdeen. Plenty of them are based in the US and are open to transferring the right people after a while. One of my friends is such a transferee. You can come over and look for a job, but you must show evidence of returning to the UK at the end of your stay. Looking for a job is evidence that you intend to stay in the US past your visa term, and must be rebutted with evidence that you don't. Also, you cannot work while in the US on a visitor visa and must show evidence that you can support yourself for the full term of your stay. Best bet is to get a company to transfer you, bottom line.

Having an American girlfriend will hinder you (if the subject comes up) as it's more evidence you want to stay past your visa term. Again, you must rebut this presumption with evidence you have ties to the UK that force you to return. (If you become engaged to and intend to marry your girlfriend, then there are fiance and spouse visas you can apply for.) Being 21 may hinder you because you are presumed to have few binding ties to the UK.

Your dad doesn't come into it at all unless he got in trouble for drug smuggling or being a genocidal dictator, basically.

Oh, Conoco Phillips, perfect. YES that will be HUGE. PM me and I'll send you some information about the O&G related company I work for, who have various facilities in the UK. It would be better if you had some offshore or engineering experience but you'll work with what you have.

I'm sure other regular posters will have more information, and you may have other qualifications or considerations that could help or hinder (for example, a criminal record or someone in the US willing to sponsor you financially). Also: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Last edited by Speedwell; Aug 3rd 2013 at 3:26 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Speedwell I think you summed it up pretty nicely
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Oh, Conoco Phillips, perfect. YES that will be HUGE. PM me and I'll send you some information about the O&G related company I work for,
They can't use the PM until they have at least 3 posts, might be more than three posts.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I think being a geologist sets you up nicely for working with a company in Aberdeen (anyone from service providers like Halliburton to the supermajors or go back to an independent like CP) and then transferring over to their Houston offices in a few years.

Alternatively, I would seriously seriously recommend you take a look at Australia. There's a significant labor shortage for oil and gas development and the wages they're paying are obscene, easily three times over the same role in the US.

Last edited by agentred; Aug 3rd 2013 at 10:37 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Tech's a good school. Geology, however, is likelier to get you an oil and gas job if anything. I live in Houston. Companies here are looking for geologists but ideally they should have O&G experience. Apply for geology-related jobs with O&G companies in Aberdeen. Plenty of them are based in the US and are open to transferring the right people after a while. One of my friends is such a transferee. You can come over and look for a job, but you must show evidence of returning to the UK at the end of your stay. Looking for a job is evidence that you intend to stay in the US past your visa term, and must be rebutted with evidence that you don't. Also, you cannot work while in the US on a visitor visa and must show evidence that you can support yourself for the full term of your stay. Best bet is to get a company to transfer you, bottom line.

Having an American girlfriend will hinder you (if the subject comes up) as it's more evidence you want to stay past your visa term. Again, you must rebut this presumption with evidence you have ties to the UK that force you to return. (If you become engaged to and intend to marry your girlfriend, then there are fiance and spouse visas you can apply for.) Being 21 may hinder you because you are presumed to have few binding ties to the UK.

Your dad doesn't come into it at all unless he got in trouble for drug smuggling or being a genocidal dictator, basically.

Oh, Conoco Phillips, perfect. YES that will be HUGE. PM me and I'll send you some information about the O&G related company I work for, who have various facilities in the UK. It would be better if you had some offshore or engineering experience but you'll work with what you have.

I'm sure other regular posters will have more information, and you may have other qualifications or considerations that could help or hinder (for example, a criminal record or someone in the US willing to sponsor you financially). Also: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Thanks Speedwell lots of help,and will private message you after i have the required post amount.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=agentred;10833858]Yeah I think being a geologist sets you up nicely for working with a company in Aberdeen (anyone from service providers like Halliburton to the supermajors or go back to an independent like CP) and then transferring over to their Houston offices in a few years.

Alternatively, I would seriously seriously recommend you take a look at Australia. There's a significant labor shortage for oil and gas development and the wages they're paying are obscene, easily three times over the same role in the US.[/QUO

Yeah i may have to look at that, thanks alot.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Speedwell that would be perfect i will PM you soon. I was wondering what would you recommend taking a masters degree or doing a internship at a O & G company before i look for employment or should a bsc degree be enough ?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:35 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokie Fox 19
Thanks Speedwell that would be perfect i will PM you soon. I was wondering what would you recommend taking a masters degree or doing a internship at a O & G company before i look for employment or should a bsc degree be enough ?
Experience over advanced degrees, in the opinions of the engineers I've worked with. In many larger companies they will financially assist you with further education related to your occupation, as well. Do so. Which reminds me, I REALLY need to take advantage of that lol...
Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Experience over advanced degrees, in the opinions of the engineers I've worked with. In many larger companies they will financially assist you with further education related to your occupation, as well. Do so. Which reminds me, I REALLY need to take advantage of that lol...
Cheers again speedwell.