Applying for Spouse Visa from Saudi - Savings route

Old May 26th 2017, 1:57 am
Just Joined

sanddweller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Spouse Visa from Saudi - Savings route

Hello everyone on the forum.

First of all, I would like to appreciate and thank such a vibrant community of generous people who are happy to take time out to share information for the benefit of everyone. I have learnt a great deal from you guys!

I have gone through the forums for a couple of hours to keep my questions concise and to the point.

So here it goes:

I am a non-EEA citizen, living and working in Saudi with my British national wife. We've been married for over 2 years and we have evidence to prove that.
I intend to apply spouse visa for myself (priority) on the basis of savings route. I think my application's ground work is almost complete. Just a couple of issues I am not too sure about.

QUESTIONS:

- Since we live in Saudi, we don't have any accommodation in the UK. How can we meet the accommodation requirement in the UK? One option is to use my wife's parents' home address in UK. Or could I use a friend's address in London? (We will be holidaying in London and meeting friends there after getting the visa). Yet another option would be to just use hotel bookings/airbnb etc. because we are not moving to the UK permanently straight away.

- Considering I have to travel for work sometimes, how long will I be deprived of my passport? (as it will be submitted with visa application). I was wrongly presuming earlier that visa processing times from Saudi will be shorter but apparently all applications are processed in the UK itself. Any idea on the most recent timelines?

BritInParis, spouse of scouse et al. and other senior members, it will be great if you guys can share your thoughts!
Old May 28th 2017, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Applying for Spouse Visa from Saudi - Savings route

Could any senior/expert please have a look and give their opinion?
Old May 28th 2017, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanddweller
It's a long weekend and people here are volunteers. You will need to exercise some patience but I'm sure you will get answers in the end.
Old May 28th 2017, 11:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanddweller
https://www.gov.uk/visa-processing-times
Old May 28th 2017, 2:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your parents-in-law have sufficient room for you then that you likely be the easiest way to go. You need a letter from them confirming their permission for this arrangement, evidence that they own the property in question and evidence that it has sufficient room for you both, i.e. a spare double bedroom.

Processing times will vary between individuals but I would count on a two to three month wait.

https://visa-processingtimes.homeoff...sas/settlement
Old May 29th 2017, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

exp123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got my spouse settlement visa in Saudi in 10 working days (priority) and this includes them asking for additional documents and it's submission.

Showing your parents in laws house is a better option. Don't think hotel bookings or air bnb would work since In Saudi they will ask for an inspection report irrespective of where you are staying. We had rented an apartment for our exclusive use but we're asked to provide an inspection report. So make sure you get the property inspection done

You can read my previous posts about my experience
Old May 29th 2017, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by exp123
I just got my spouse settlement visa in Saudi in 10 working days (priority) and this includes them asking for additional documents and it's submission.

Showing your parents in laws house is a better option. Don't think hotel bookings or air bnb would work since In Saudi they will ask for an inspection report irrespective of where you are staying. We had rented an apartment for our exclusive use but we're asked to provide an inspection report. So make sure you get the property inspection done

That's very heartening !

Can I ask what additional documents were asked by the British Embassy in Riyadh?
Old May 30th 2017, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Najmah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm the Brit and Hubby is American. We applied in April in Al Khobar and they requested more info. it was all done very quickly.

As said, they ask for verification on your accommodation in the UK. I had sent them the original deeds to my flat but that wasn't enough.

They didn't say what they actually wanted to I had a google. They want confirmation the accommodation will not be overcrowded. Have a google and you will find the specific wording.

We are lucky because our visas are done through Riyadh and as there isn't much of a queue for people wanting settlement visas from here, it is done very quickly.
Old May 30th 2017, 2:38 am
Just Joined

I had a surveyor go out and do an inspection for me. I think there are other ways of doing it. This is the wording on our report:

I confirm this two bedroom property has sufficient space to accommodate up to four people. The property has been inspected and risked assessed for Category 1 and 2 Hazards to ensure that the accommodation complies with the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) under the provisions of Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004 (i.e. it will not contravene public health regulations). The property is in a good and habitable condition and is currently vacant I
Old Jun 1st 2017, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If your parents-in-law have sufficient room for you then that you likely be the easiest way to go. You need a letter from them confirming their permission for this arrangement, evidence that they own the property in question and evidence that it has sufficient room for you both, i.e. a spare double bedroom.

Processing times will vary between individuals but I would count on a two to three month wait.

https://visa-processingtimes.homeoff...sas/settlement
Thank you BritInParis !

Originally Posted by exp123

Thank you for your advice. Its very relevant because you did exactly what I am intending to do. Can you please PM me? I sent you a message.

Originally Posted by Najmah
I'm the Brit and Hubby is American. We applied in April in Al Khobar and they requested more info. it was all done very quickly.

As said, they ask for verification on your accommodation in the UK. I had sent them the original deeds to my flat but that wasn't enough.

They didn't say what they actually wanted to I had a google. They want confirmation the accommodation will not be overcrowded. Have a google and you will find the specific wording.

We are lucky because our visas are done through Riyadh and as there isn't much of a queue for people wanting settlement visas from here, it is done very quickly.

Thank you Najmah.

Seems like I will be fully prepared only after Eid Holidays now. I should be able to arrange a property inspection report by then
Old Jun 1st 2017, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Just for info:

The UK brought in a new requirement at the end of March this year. Called a TOR (Transfer of Residence) they tell you to apply for it in advance. You do it on line (and can't save it) then print it and sign it, an then email it together with copy of passport and supporting docs. And then mail the package to them. They then issue you a number which is what you use if you are shipping stuff, and pets, into the UK. They reckon it can take a couple of weeks to be processed so they suggest you apply for it well in advance. This replaces the import stuff you had to do.

Sorry if you already know about this. We didn't! Just in the process of doing the thing now!
Old Jun 1st 2017, 11:21 am
Just Joined

This is the link to the form:

https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc...plate=TOR1.xdp
Old Jun 1st 2017, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Najmah
Just for info:

The UK brought in a new requirement at the end of March this year. Called a TOR (Transfer of Residence) they tell you to apply for it in advance. You do it on line (and can't save it) then print it and sign it, an then email it together with copy of passport and supporting docs. And then mail the package to them. They then issue you a number which is what you use if you are shipping stuff, and pets, into the UK. They reckon it can take a couple of weeks to be processed so they suggest you apply for it well in advance. This replaces the import stuff you had to do.

Sorry if you already know about this. We didn't! Just in the process of doing the thing now!
In essence, ToR is an online declaration for importing goods into the UK for Customs Clearance. This replaces the old C3 form and took effect during February 2017.

Regards, MP