Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for an EEA family permit with British/Italian nationality

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Sounds to me like inflation has been humongous since the mid-1980s, and warehouse wages have not kept up. According to Payscale, the median warehouse worker wage in the UK today is £6/hour. 52 weeks @ 40 hours/week means £12.5K per year... in today's pounds.

The 15K you quoted, is that in 2014 or 1985 pounds?
I was grossing £300/wk in '85-'86 - actual numbers of £ received. I still have the pay statements somewhere I think. .... That did include shift allowance and O/T though, but I was unskilled labour straight out of school, and wasn't being paid for anything other than order picking, loading and unloading trucks. No forklift pay, no foreman's pay. Just labouring.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few youngsters who would gladly give up their internet, iPad, iPod and whatnot if they could become a baby boomer...
Old Apr 26th 2014, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Foffion
So Chaoclive you had Irish and British Citizenship? Of course it will work, they can't refuse. Funny how as British Citizens we have no rights in the UK and as citizens from another European country we have rights in the UK. It breaks my heart to give up my British Nationality because I am a proud British and I am deeply ashamed to be half-Italian.
Chaoclive, our husband/wife can get British Nationality after 5 years of living in the UK so we will be able to have our British Nationality back. You can.
Please keep me informed how it goes for you.
Thank you.
Yeah. I was born in Northern Ireland, that funny little place so I got entitlement to both citizenships when I was born. I'm from a mixed family so I've never had any attachment to either one of them but I do like the Irish citizenship as it's possible for my civil partner to get Irish citizenship off the back of living with me in Northern Ireland for 3 years, instead of the 5+1 years it will take the spouse of an Irish citizen to get British citizenship. I'm not sure that I care about getting British citizenship back now sounds like a bit of a hassle. If my partner gets an Irish passport (shorter qualification time) I'm just gonna stop there - want to get free of all this immigration stuff asap!

If you renounce your British citizenship, it will also take your spouse 5 years to get PR and then another year before he/she can apply for citizenship. The 5 years is for spouses of British citizens who don't need that extra year.

We're still early in the process at the moment - we're gonna be applying for the EEA family permit next month and traveling back in July so I'll be looking for work in Belfast then.

I'll definitely post about anything that comes up!

Good luck (but consider carefully)
CC

PS: I'd LOVE to be half-Italian!!!

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2018 at 8:38 am.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chaoclive
Yeah. I was born in Northern Ireland, that funny little place so I got entitlement to both citizenships when I was born. I'm from a mixed family so I've never had any attachment to either one of them but I do like the Irish citizenship as it's possible for my civil partner to get Irish citizenship off the back of living with me in Northern Ireland for 3 years, instead of the 5+1 years it will take the spouse of an Irish citizen to get British citizenship. I'm not sure that I care about getting British citizenship back now sounds like a bit of a hassle. If my partner gets an Irish passport (shorter qualification time) I'm just gonna stop there - want to get free of all this immigration stuff asap!

If you renounce your British citizenship, it will also take your spouse 5 years to get PR and then another year before he/she can apply for citizenship. The 5 years is for spouses of British citizens who don't need that extra year.

We're still early in the process at the moment - we're gonna be applying for the EEA family permit next month and traveling back in July so I'll be looking for work in Belfast then.

I'll definitely post about anything that comes up!

Good luck (but consider carefully)
CC

PS: I'd LOVE to be half-Italian!!!
Yes my plan is that my husband gets British Citizenship so that I can get my British Citizenship back too. Italy is a toilet, nice for a holiday but for the rest... they steal anything that isn't both nailed down or on fire, people are incredibly rude and there is a me me me mentality.
Yes please, post something when you apply for the EEA permit. I am scared but this is for me the only solution.
Thanks.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2018 at 8:39 am.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Foffion
Yes my plan is that my husband gets British Citizenship so that I can get my British Citizenship back too.

I am scared but this is for me the only solution.
Thanks.
How does that work? Do you mean that you will be able to apply as 'spouse of a British citizen' again in the future?Sounds complex hehe.

RE: Scared. Same here, but we'll never know if we don't try. I've heard of someone on some websitedoing this and it worked for him (and his wife).

Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Foffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to beholdFoffion is a splendid one to behold

How does that work? Do you mean that you will be able to apply as 'spouse of a British citizen' again in the future?Sounds complex hehe.

RE: Scared. Same here, but we'll never know if we don't try. I've heard of someone doing this and it worked for him (and his wife).

Oh no, I mean, my husband, after being a permanent resident in the UK for 5-6 (?) years, he can apply for British Citizenship, when he has British Citizenship no more visa problems, so I can ask my British Citizenship back. I know for sure that he can become British because my brother's wife is from Peru and she asked and obtained British Citizenship.
Thank you for the link, I know that website. I have been reading for days, I have a constant headache. Thank you Theresa (bitch) May.

Old Apr 26th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Agree re: Theresa et al. hehe.

RE: Brit Cit, yes it's definitely possible for him to become a Brit Cit with the current laws as they stand at the moment. HOWEVER, we can only request our Brit Cit back - it is NOT guaranteed. It's up to the Secretary of State (i.e. your good friend Theresa) as our renunciation doesn't fit into any of the categories noted in the citizenship laws (i.e. where we have to give up Brit Cit to take on another citizenship). Therefore, it's not as easy as you might think.

In theory, we should be able to get PR after having exercised treaty rights in the UK for 5 years though (I haven't seen anyone who has been through this after renunciation yet though but I don't see why it would be an issue). That will be enough for me. I don't want the hassle of applying and paying close to 800GBP to become British again.

Last edited by chaoclive; Apr 26th 2014 at 6:32 pm. Reason: for clarity
Old Apr 26th 2014, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Agree re: Theresa et al. hehe.

RE: Brit Cit, yes it's definitely possible for him to become a Brit Cit with the current laws as they stand at the moment. HOWEVER, we can only request our Brit Cit back - it is NOT guaranteed. It's up to the Secretary of State (i.e. your good friend Theresa) as our renunciation doesn't fit into any of the categories noted in the citizenship laws (i.e. where we have to give up Brit Cit to take on another citizenship). Therefore, it's not as easy as you might think.

In theory, we should be able to get PR after having exercised treaty rights in the UK for 5 years though (I haven't seen anyone who has been through this after renunciation yet though but I don't see why it would be an issue). That will be enough for me. I don't want the hassle of applying and paying close to 800GBP to become British again.
I agree with everything you say but I can't be Italian. At least I have to try to get my British Nationality back. Honestly, I think there will be no problems.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Fingers crossed that you'll be able to get it back!

Just be clear that this is what you want to do before you actually do it. It would be a pity to find out later that you couldn't get it back as it does sound to be a big deal for you.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you can't resume your British citizenship you could always just apply to naturalise which would be a really interesting scenario (born in the UK, British at birth, but naturalising as a British citizen).

If you were able to resume your British citizenship as soon as your husband achieves Permanent Residency then he would be able to naturalise as a spouse of a British citizen without having to wait the extra year.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Even if you can't resume your British citizenship you could always just apply to naturalise which would be a really interesting scenario (born in the UK, British at birth, but naturalising as a British citizen).

If you were able to resume your British citizenship as soon as your husband achieves Permanent Residency then he would be able to naturalise as a spouse of a British citizen without having to wait the extra year.
Yeah that would be funny! I read a lot about giving up and resuming your British Citizenship. As far as I understand they don't give it back to terrorists and people like that. I don't think there will be any problems.
What you said about my husband is interesting, thank you for the suggestion. All suggestions are useful. I read everything.
Cheers.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds interesting indeed! I'm not sure how they would view it hehe. I'm not sure that there has been such a case in the past. Don't think I'm gonna bother though. After all I'd probably need to pass the Life in the UK test. Not sure that I'm up to that, after all our dear Prime Minster couldn't do it
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Except that naturalisation is still discretionary.
I expect that the Home Office would prefer to confer British citizenship by registration under the Act (resumption) rather than naturalise a former British citizen.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that naturalisation is still discretionary.
I expect that the Home Office would prefer to confer British citizenship by registration under the Act (resumption) rather than naturalise a former British citizen.
I would like to think you are right although resuming citizenship under S.13(3) after giving it up for EEA immigration purposes is, I suspect, untested waters for the Home Office. It will be interesting to see their reaction. If they did decide to be petty then naturalisation would still be an option unless HMG had serious character concerns about the OP.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to think you are right although resuming citizenship under S.13(3) after giving it up for EEA immigration purposes is, I suspect, untested waters for the Home Office. It will be interesting to see their reaction. If they did decide to be petty then naturalisation would still be an option unless HMG had serious character concerns about the OP.
Naturalisation is still at the discretion of the Secretary of State, who could decide that a former citizen should not be naturalised, even if meeting the statutory requirements.

In practice, it's more likely that the Home Office would decide that those with permanent resident status in the U.K . + X years residence should normally be granted resumption under the discretionary provisions in section 13(3). Another reason the Home Office would prefer resumption is that it restores the same type of citizenship previously held (by descent, or otherwise) rather than naturalisation which always gives British citizenship otherwise than by descent.

But none of this is guaranteed in the future. No guarantee on citizenship law/policy, and no guarantee that the immigration laws will be the same. Anyone who renounces British citizenship needs to be prepared for the possibility of being unable to ever resume it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.