American wanting to move to UK

Old May 17th 2008, 5:33 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Longing for the sunny States

Originally Posted by Pandajuice
if the UK is so great, why are you guys in the US
this question is, and always will be, an indication that the person asking it is either a bit of a blinkered idiot or just severely lacking in imagination.

and has it ever occurred to you that Arizona might not be the best or only location with which to compare US/UK weather? I wonder what people from Washington State, Minnesota or Maine think of the weather in Britain.
Old May 17th 2008, 5:38 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American wanting to move to UK

I once met a guy from Seattle in the Lake District on a rainy day, he said it reminded him of home
Old May 17th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Pandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud of
Default Re: Longing for the sunny States

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Well I just got off the phone with my sister in Leeds who said its a bit crap today but it was sunny last week and I was there in Feb when we had lovely sunshine for first week and same temp as here in North Florida.

I posted met office data to show that there is sunshine, of course not as much as in Arizona/California but no one is going to take you seriously if you continue to insist that there can be six months without sunshine.

Look at my photos in the gallery for evidence of february sunshine!
It was sunny for 3 days last week for the first time since the freak sunshine in February that you refer to. How many days is it from the first week of February to the third week in May between sunshine spells? More than 30?

and has it ever occurred to you that Arizona might not be the best or only location with which to compare US/UK weather? I wonder what people from Washington State, Minnesota or Maine think of the weather in Britain.
Listen to me please. And try to read the words on the screen without making yourself look like a blinkered idiot. This goes for all of you.

MY POSTS ARE ALL IN RESPONSE TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER WHO ASKED FOR OPINIONS ON WHAT TO EXPECT MOVING FROM ARIZONA TO NORTHERN ENGLAND/SCOTLAND! I NEVER PRETENDED TO BE COMPARING THE WEATHER OF THE ENTIRE US Vs. THE ENTIRE UK!

Did you read it this time? Should I repeat it? Please let me know if you guys are still confused about the purpose and intention of my posts.
Also, do me a favour and scour my posts and find anywhere where I say "The USA rulez and UK sux, lol." Or to make it easier, try and find where I say "Britain is inferior to the US in every way".

You can't. BECAUSE I DIDN'T TYPE IT!

Thank you.
Old May 17th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but I don't need you to offer perspective on what I've clearly stated over and over again as my own personal opinion and how I feel about the country.
Life here is inferior for me and my family (though it may not be for you; I never tried to say it was inferior to everyone), and I wasn't coming onto these boards to announce such. If you read back over the first post, you'd recognize that I did not make this thread. No, in fact, I replied to someone else asking for people's opinions on whether someone from Arizona would like it in Northen England. I felt extremely qualified to answer such a question and so I did. You should also note that nowhere in my first post did I announce that England was inferior to the states. In fact, I made it a point to list some positives and made an even bigger point, which you obviously missed, that someone with a very similar lifestyle to my former one might find Northern England the same way I do. I apologize again if it offended you and your national pride, but the post wasn't intended for you.

I'm sorry your European prejudice for Americans is clouding whatever meaning you could glean from my posts (that weren't intended or aimed at you by the way), as I don't recall having any particular attitude in my posts. I merely (yet again it needs to be said) listed what I felt were negatives from my point of view and that the OP being from a very similar climate and lifestyle might find the same negatives when she arrived here.
No you didn't actually. You came on here stating opinions as fact, interjected with one or two, "to me's" and quoting the Daily Mail to us.

It also has nothing to do with my national pride, I'm more than capable of accepting criticism of the UK where its accurate, and there certainly is plenty of room for it. The simple fact is though, it's not cloudy for six months at a time and everything does not cost 2-3 times what it does in the States.

Further, its not a European only held veiwpoint by the way, it's pretty much a global one. Even most Aussies I've met, who are quite well known for their own national arrogance will pass comment on the attitude of Americans.

I do appreciate you feel you are in a position to comment, and I agree, I'm just trying to point out that you've done exactly what your nation is renowned for. If I had read all your posts on UK-Yankee I still wouldnt have agreed but I would have had a very different reaction to you, and that's my point!
Old May 17th 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Pandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud ofPandajuice has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
No you didn't actually. You came on here stating opinions as fact, interjected with one or two, "to me's" and quoting the Daily Mail to us.

I do appreciate you feel you are in a position to comment, and I agree, I'm just trying to point out that you've done exactly what your nation is renowned for. If I had read all your posts on UK-Yankee I still wouldnt have agreed but I would have had a very different reaction to you, and that's my point!
Well I apologize again if prejudices led to a knee-jerk reaction to my posts. I never intended to offer my opinions and personal observations (and I even went out of my way to note that at the beginning of my first post) as facts. My link to the daily mail was to support what I was saying, not to "prove" something.
I implore you to go back and read my posts without looking through the prism of "American = arrogant" and see if it sounds different.
Old May 17th 2008, 5:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I implore you to go back and read my posts without looking through the prism of "American = arrogant" and see if it sounds different.
"American = ignorant" seems more appropriate.
Old May 17th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Well I apologize again if prejudices led to a knee-jerk reaction to my posts. I never intended to offer my opinions and personal observations (and I even went out of my way to note that at the beginning of my first post) as facts. My link to the daily mail was to support what I was saying, not to "prove" something.
It's not just you, it comes from several years of experience in dealing with, living with and trying to understand Americans. I coined it, "the American superiority complex". It's by no means entirely unique to America but it is indeed endemic there. It occurs regionally, quite frequently. The Arabs for example, quite openly refer to themselves and their way of life as superior to the rest of the Middle East. The difference in the American version is they apply it globally

In all the reading of posts on this board I have done over the years I honestly believe the only thing I've ever heard reference to as inferior is the US healthcare system. It's not in peoples general psyche's to refer to something as inferior even if they dont like it or feel they had it better at home.

It may seem like a very subtle nuance to you, but to those of us not brought up in the States it stands out like red raw sore thumb.

Edit: There are American's who dont display symptoms, some are very good friends. I am quite capable of telling the difference between those affected and those not.

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; May 17th 2008 at 6:07 pm.
Old May 17th 2008, 6:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
It's not just you, it comes from several years of experience in dealing with, living with and trying to understand Americans. I coined it, "the American superiority complex". It's by no means entirely unique to America but it is indeed endemic there. It occurs regionally, quite frequently. The Arabs for example, quite openly refer to themselves and their way of life as superior to the rest of the Middle East. The difference in the American version is they apply it globally

In all the reading of posts on this board I have done over the years I honestly believe the only thing I've ever heard reference to as inferior is the US healthcare system. It's not in peoples general psyche's to refer to something as inferior even if they dont like it or feel they had it better at home.

It may seem like a very subtle nuance to you, but to those of us not brought up in the States it stands out like red raw sore thumb.

Edit: There are American's who dont display symptoms, some are very good friends. I am quite capable of telling the difference between those affected and those not.

Originally Posted by elfman
this question is, and always will be, an indication that the person asking it is either a bit of a blinkered idiot or just severely lacking in imagination.

It's hard to believe that you folks have been reading the same forums here as I have over the past several years.

But cut the Panda some slack; why is HIS experience of the UK not 'ok' with you all but YOUR overgeneralizations about the US are ok?

Originally Posted by Grayling
"American = ignorant" seems more appropriate.
Yeah, it's that darn American superiority you've got to stay on guard against...
Old May 17th 2008, 6:50 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
But cut the Panda some slack; why is HIS experience of the UK not 'ok' with you all but YOUR overgeneralizations about the US are ok?
would you be good enough to point to some of my "overgeneralizations about the US" please?

I actually like living in the USA - but really no more than I did in Britain. And if I find something in my experience of US life to be not to my liking (or even "inferior"), I have occasionally felt free to mention it on here. But I like to think I have personally been careful not to make the kind of sweeping inaccurate statements that Panda has.
Old May 17th 2008, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's hard to believe that you folks have been reading the same forums here as I have over the past several years.

Yeah, it's that darn American superiority you've got to stay on guard against...
Apart from factually pulling him up on the fact that it doesn't stay cloudy for 6 months and things are not 2-3 times the cost I don't remember saying his experience was not, "ok". There's truth in a number of things the guy said. I remember saying it was rude to come onto BE and refer to life in Britain as inferior, even if a "to me" was used. It's a trait I have seen in more Americans than any other nationality I have come across. Stereotypes are just that, but sometimes they are lived up to, and he just did.

I dont think I've been nasty and I hope the smilies are infering the amount of tongue in cheekness I mean this with - even if I do believe it to be true. Pandajuice has apologised several times, for which there is no need really. I'm not upset and I doubt anyone else is. I was just trying to point something out, I really hope the guy has a think about it.
Old May 17th 2008, 6:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it amazing how I can live in a country for the best part of 60 years yet still need some patronising american tw*t to point out all the "problems"
that I have obviously never experienced.

........and as someone who has also spent a lot of time in Oregon (and whose brother still lives there) I also find it a bit rich to be told that the UK is grey for several months of the year.
Old May 17th 2008, 7:03 pm
A lion in your lap

........and as someone who has also spent a lot of time in Oregon (and whose brother still lives there) I also find it a bit rich to be told that the UK is grey for several months of the year.
ever tried Arizona? Apparently it's much sunnier there.
Old May 17th 2008, 7:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by elfman
ever tried Arizona? Apparently it's much sunnier there.

.....it's also full of mexicans isn't it?

.....or are there really no immigrants in America?
Old May 17th 2008, 7:17 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: American wanting to move to UK

It's a cast iron certainty that every keyboard ninja who turns up on this forum to have a moan about the UK, will, at some point, and with a tiresome inevitability, come out with something like this:

It's no secret that many people feel as if the land of Britain is losing her identity due to mass immigration and mass emigration. More and more foreigners are moving in and taking over cities as blah blah foreigners blah loss of culture blah blah etc....
Your whole schtick on this thread is that you're claiming to be offering advice to someone, so what has this rubbish got do with it exactly? Why offer this nonsense up as advice? "Taking over cities"...you make it sound like War of the Worlds but with Polish plumbers instead of space aliens FFS. This is utter crud and you know it. Why not assume (it's reckless I know), that most of them simply want to live here and become a part of Britain and have no desire to "take over the city" with their evil foreign ways?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
I suggest you read over that and the fact that "Some 58 per cent think the nation's cultural fabric is being "damaged and diluted" by immigration." I'm not the only one who thinks that, clearly. And I want it known that I wasn't complaining about it,
You are though aren't you? Ignoring the fact that you listed it in your original waffle as a "negative" - if it doesn't bother you then why bring it up? If I was living in the US (fortunately I don't, but let's just suppose), I could dredge up gigabytes of negative press about the US that wouldn't neccessarily bother me, but I wouldn't feel inclined to pass it off as some sort of advice to anyone considering moving over there. I'd probably throw caution to the wind and assume that when it comes to idiotic personal predjudices, the potential mover can decide for themselves.

It's not unusual to go months (even 6 months some years) without a break in the cloud cover.
Don't talk crap. Got to be a troll, this. Did this "fact" come from the Daily Mail as well, by any chance?

I implore you to go back and read my posts without looking through the prism of "American = arrogant" and see if it sounds different
...but I'm obviously a fairly intelligent person...
Errm, nope.
Old May 17th 2008, 7:24 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: American wanting to move to UK

.....it's also full of mexicans isn't it?

.....or are there really no immigrants in America?
Oooh I hope there aren't. I was going to go for a holiday there this year but I don't want to catch some horrible immigrant, foreign lurgy or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.