American wanting to move to UK

Old May 12th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of
Smile American wanting to move to UK

Hi there! I posted on this website maybe a year ago but in a different section. Most of the replies I got were negative when I asked about moving to the UK. A little background..

My husband is a dual citizen (US/UK) and has a passport he just renewed in Jan actually. His dad is a UK citizen and that was how he got his passport initially. So as I understand it he can work in the UK or anywhere in the EU for that matter..and I can work there as well under a spousal visa. Correct?

We would like to move abroad and have been researching England and Scotland. We would most likely move (if able to, jobs, financially etc) in 2-3 years. My husband is finishing an IT degree (will have a master's by then) and I am also working on my master's (in higher education) at this time. We realize it would be best to finish our degrees first and then move with that under our belt. We also have a 2 year old son.

Are we insane for wanting to leave the US and move to the UK? I posted on a uk yankee forum and the reponses basically said we were..nothing but negative. I was also told that we could not expect to make a decent wage even with master's degrees and experience. We are not naive and realize we will not be living in a penthouse on a high street in some posh area. We do not mind rain/clouds (actually prefer this) as we live in Arizona where the heat is unbareable for 4-5 months out of the year and it hardly rains...ever. Forget having a garden or flowers, and all summer you are stuck in your house because it is 115+ degrees outside. We would welcome a change. We are willing to look in N. England, and Scotland versus London for jobs and to live.

Any advice/opinions are welcomed. I am trying to get a good feel and really believe that I will get the best answer from people from there!!

Thanks,
Colette
Old May 12th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice
Smile Re: American wanting to move to UK

hi,

i am sorry that some many expats appear to be negative about moving to the UK. i am an expat and have been living in the US for about six years now and go back to the uk every summer - i am a professor here. i have recently moved from california to tulsa which i cannot stand and will be moving back to california next year when i get another job there. But here is my take - i think you will enjoy england and it will be a good experience i am always telling my students to go to the UK for the experience. I recommend that you do not look outside of london which is very expensive and very crowded - i was born in east london and lived in london most of my life.
you will enjoy live - you have to get used to paying high gas prices and paying more for food and higher taxes because there is a universal health care system. There are some beautiful places in england and it rains and the thing i did not like is the dullness but after Arizona you will love it. When i lived in california it didn't rain for six months and it felt really strange but i loved the desert climate except the heat in july august - apart from that it was great!!!
norah.
Old May 12th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American wanting to move to UK

I'm not going to say you're crazy, but how much time have you spent in the UK yourself?
Do you have an idea of what kind of jobs you would like to get and where those jobs are mostly situated in the UK? Do you know how you will manage working and your son without any family to help out? Do you have a realistic idea of what it's going to be like to live without anywhere near as much sunshine as you currently have (that's actually a serious point)?
Old May 12th 2008, 8:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this forum...it may give you an idea how USCs view life in Blighty.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php
Old May 12th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rookins26
Hi there! I posted on this website maybe a year ago but in a different section. Most of the replies I got were negative when I asked about moving to the UK. A little background..

My husband is a dual citizen (US/UK) and has a passport he just renewed in Jan actually. His dad is a UK citizen and that was how he got his passport initially. So as I understand it he can work in the UK or anywhere in the EU for that matter..and I can work there as well under a spousal visa. Correct?

We would like to move abroad and have been researching England and Scotland. We would most likely move (if able to, jobs, financially etc) in 2-3 years. My husband is finishing an IT degree (will have a master's by then) and I am also working on my master's (in higher education) at this time. We realize it would be best to finish our degrees first and then move with that under our belt. We also have a 2 year old son.

Are we insane for wanting to leave the US and move to the UK? I posted on a uk yankee forum and the reponses basically said we were..nothing but negative. I was also told that we could not expect to make a decent wage even with master's degrees and experience. We are not naive and realize we will not be living in a penthouse on a high street in some posh area. We do not mind rain/clouds (actually prefer this) as we live in Arizona where the heat is unbareable for 4-5 months out of the year and it hardly rains...ever. Forget having a garden or flowers, and all summer you are stuck in your house because it is 115+ degrees outside. We would welcome a change. We are willing to look in N. England, and Scotland versus London for jobs and to live.

Any advice/opinions are welcomed. I am trying to get a good feel and really believe that I will get the best answer from people from there!!

Thanks,
Colette
I have friends and family that never even went to university earning in the 60-80k GBP bracket so blanket statements about salaries should be taken with a pinch of salt. My understanding at the moment, although this could well change before you looked at going is that well qualified IT staff are having a better time of it that side of the pond than yours.

Real estate will cost you more, the Island is small, there is a lot less of it. Its simple supply and demand economics, if one wants the other things the UK provides, dealing with smaller houses in general is just a fact of life.

By rule of thumb I argue, it rains one day, is cloudy the next and then the sun comes out. All rolled into clear quarterly seasons. Not everybodies lives and happiness is defined by whether the sun is out or not. It doesn't bother some of us, myself included. It is a pain when plans go poof tho!

The hardest part will be finding employment opportunites with no UK experience but if you want to make a go of it, try, its not like you have visa problems and if doesnt work out, then you just return to the States.

Despite what the media, particularly, would have you believe, lots of people go to the UK for well paid work opportunites because they want to not because they are escaping some thirdworld hell hole or intend to bludge benefits.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: American wanting to move to UK

Thanks,
Colette
No of course you're not insane!

Every single one of us is only on this planet for (hopefully) a few decades and we will be spending a long time dead.....if you have an open mind and the opportunity to live overseas (and with your spouse having dual nationality you do have that option) even just for a year, a few years or indefinitely then why not give it a go?

Don't forget that if you are in the UK it is so easy to go on inexpensive trips to mainland Europe....say, for example city visits to Paris, Prague, Venice, Rome, Amsterdam or perhaps go touring in Tuscany, Provence, the French/Swiss/Italian Alps.

Anyway.....from the link that Jerseygirl posted, there is a 'sticky' thread which I like to read if I'm down in the dumps and it always brings a smile to my face; it's a thread of things your compatriates love about living in the UK:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3338.0
Old May 12th 2008, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies all of you! Much appreciated.

Englishmum you said it right on. We only have this one life, one experience so you have to just dive in at some point and take a chance to experience something different.

Chicagojlo....we do not have family "helping" with our son as it is. Yes they live in the same state but not close enough for any sort of "help". We are quite use to going about it ourselves. Also he is in preschool and we both work full-time. As for jobs, it is agreed that we will move if my husband has a decent job offer in his field and I can apply for work once we are settled and I have my spousal visa. I am fine with that. I am currently working on my master's in higher education (allows you to work at Universities..in student affairs/programs etc) and work currently as a speech therapist in the schools. The sunshine comment..yes I realize it is a LOT different than Arizona..I thought I made that pretty clear in my post. We lived in Seattle when first married and loved the rain and overcast..and it was like that a LOT. Not a problem for us at all. Some people cannot stand rain and clouds...some love it, all perspective. We literally FRY here in AZ..and I mean fry. Anyone who has not lived here would not understand. Imagine having a hot blowdryer in your face for 4 months ...and when you get into your car you feel like you are literally melting. I think I really know how a lobster feels when thrown into a pot. LOL

Also tootsie I have heard that too about IT. A good friend of ours is in that field as well and he is out of work in NYC of all places..his company is sending him on business trips to Europe. Him and his wife just spent 6 years in London and he was busy as ever, they moved to NYC for just a year they plan on and all the work is in the UK and Europe.

Anyway thanks for the insight all of you.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick note about your visa, you can pretty much go with one in hand, there will be none of this waiting about for months or years that goes on for DFC and K visas for USCIS.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies all of you! Much appreciated.

Englishmum you said it right on. We only have this one life, one experience so you have to just dive in at some point and take a chance to experience something different.

Chicagojlo....we do not have family "helping" with our son as it is. Yes they live in the same state but not close enough for any sort of "help". We are quite use to going about it ourselves. Also he is in preschool and we both work full-time. As for jobs, it is agreed that we will move if my husband has a decent job offer in his field and I can apply for work once we are settled and I have my spousal visa. I am fine with that. I am currently working on my master's in higher education (allows you to work at Universities..in student affairs/programs etc) and work currently as a speech therapist in the schools. The sunshine comment..yes I realize it is a LOT different than Arizona..I thought I made that pretty clear in my post. We lived in Seattle when first married and loved the rain and overcast..and it was like that a LOT. Not a problem for us at all. Some people cannot stand rain and clouds...some love it, all perspective. We literally FRY here in AZ..and I mean fry. Anyone who has not lived here would not understand. Imagine having a hot blowdryer in your face for 4 months ...and when you get into your car you feel like you are literally melting. I think I really know how a lobster feels when thrown into a pot. LOL

Also tootsie I have heard that too about IT. A good friend of ours is in that field as well and he is out of work in NYC of all places..his company is sending him on business trips to Europe. Him and his wife just spent 6 years in London and he was busy as ever, they moved to NYC for just a year they plan on and all the work is in the UK and Europe.

Anyway thanks for the insight all of you.
Great to hear that you already have all the bases covered! I was just trying to throw out things you may not have considered but clearly you have. I'd say you have a good shot at really making a go of it over there. Good luck!
Old May 13th 2008, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: American wanting to move to UK

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Great to hear that you already have all the bases covered! I was just trying to throw out things you may not have considered but clearly you have. I'd say you have a good shot at really making a go of it over there. Good luck!
Thanks! I am excited to say the least and just want to see outside the US for a change...
Old May 13th 2008, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Oh one more thing...I see it says Lake Country IL is where you live. My parents own property near Galena...but I know that is way west of Chicago.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with going to the U.K. as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations.

You shouldn't really think about another EU state as it would be difficult/impossible for you and your son to get citizenship there.

If you do go to the U.K., you should plan on a 3 year stay as then (under current law) you could become naturalised British. If you then came back to the United States, any future children would be British by descent (if you have children born in Britain they will automatically be British).

Your son could be registered British after 3 years too.

For a visa for you + your son, start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Old May 13th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

No....you aren't insane......but you really, really need to think things through before making the leap.

Have you ever visited the UK? If not, I would first plan at least a 2 week trip here to check things out. Also, don't plan to just move here and find a job right off, no matter your education level. Either line a job up before you make the move or have enough savings to support yourselves for at least 6 months and preferably for a year.

Things that are different here than in the US:

Privacy.....in the States you often seem to have more of it. Here in the UK most houses are attached to one another, your back gardens are tiny and your front room sits right on the street.

You say you love rain and clouds, but will you love it for weeks and even months on end? Damp is a huge problem here. It creeps into your walls and sets up shop. It's a constant battle fighting it. It get's dark here at 3:30 or 4 o'clock in the winter. SAD is serious over here. ....last year summer lasted one week. It was from the lst week in April until about the 2nd of May. It was early and then it was gone. Luckily this year things seem a bit better and we have had lovely weather for about 2 weeks now. It damn sure took long enough getting here.

Grocery stores......they are different than the US ones. They aren't bad........just different.

Clothes............more expensive over here and not usually the quality you will find at Macy's in the States.

Don't take my post the wrong way......I concetrated on some negatives.....there's loads of positive things about living here. The people are wonderful. I love walking to the village to shop. I love the views of the hills and valleys of Wales where I now live......the pubs are great and the beer is even better.

I say if you're young enough and can swing it financially and not have too many expectations already formed about what it's going to be like then go for it. It's the chance of the lifetime.
Old May 13th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scout
No....you aren't insane......but you really, really need to think things through before making the leap.

Have you ever visited the UK? If not, I would first plan at least a 2 week trip here to check things out. Also, don't plan to just move here and find a job right off, no matter your education level. Either line a job up before you make the move or have enough savings to support yourselves for at least 6 months and preferably for a year.

Things that are different here than in the US:

Privacy.....in the States you often seem to have more of it. Here in the UK most houses are attached to one another, your back gardens are tiny and your front room sits right on the street.

You say you love rain and clouds, but will you love it for weeks and even months on end? Damp is a huge problem here. It creeps into your walls and sets up shop. It's a constant battle fighting it. It get's dark here at 3:30 or 4 o'clock in the winter. SAD is serious over here. ....last year summer lasted one week. It was from the lst week in April until about the 2nd of May. It was early and then it was gone. Luckily this year things seem a bit better and we have had lovely weather for about 2 weeks now. It damn sure took long enough getting here.

Grocery stores......they are different than the US ones. They aren't bad........just different.

Clothes............more expensive over here and not usually the quality you will find at Macy's in the States.

Don't take my post the wrong way......I concetrated on some negatives.....there's loads of positive things about living here. The people are wonderful. I love walking to the village to shop. I love the views of the hills and valleys of Wales where I now live......the pubs are great and the beer is even better.

I say if you're young enough and can swing it financially and not have too many expectations already formed about what it's going to be like then go for it. It's the chance of the lifetime.
Thanks Scout! I know it'll be different...I expect it honestly. Yes we would take a trip there first of course before considering moving. My husband has spent a good amount of time there but not me..so this would be a must.

It's funny about the privacy thing...here in the western states of the US it is almost too private, to where no one hardly speaks to you at all. You can live next door to a neighbor for 5 years and never speak to them. Kind of sad really.

Anyway a trip is in order in the near future and we will have to travel around the UK and get a good feel.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh one more thing...I see it says Lake Country IL is where you live. My parents own property near Galena...but I know that is way west of Chicago.
Friends of mine head out there in summer, we might go ourselves this year.

Re the other EU state thing - I know that if you as an American go to live and work in The Netherlands, you will instantly be granted the same rights to live and work as your UK citizen husband. I don't know about other EU states as I have only worked there, but I know that it was a bone of contention for a lot of UKCs with USC spouses that they couldn't just walk into their 'own country' with their spouses but they could walk into another EU state and live and work freely.
Of course that doesn't help with getting UK citizenship for yourself, but if you want to go over without all the hassle it's interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.