American w/ British mother

Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American w/ British mother

Originally Posted by luivega
Sorry to pile on an old thread. I called the Home Office pay for service number today and they were absolutely useless. Had no idea what a UKM application was and told me to call a different number tomorrow.

Background: I am British by birth and living in the USA, married to a US citizen whose mother was British by birth. His mother was born in the UK in 1941. He was born in the US in 1966. His father is American. He lived in the UK as a child from April 1976 to May 1981. However, this was as a USAF dependent under a SOFA. He attended British schools.

I want to go home, and, obviously, want him to be able to come with me, and work. I stumbled onto the UKM application whilst researching marriage based visas and thought this may be easier than a marriage based visa. I'm not sure though, after reading more.

I have some questions.

1. This thread references it being free for the application, but a fee for the biometric/oath ceremony of £80. However, the following page indicates it is £1,121 for the registration. https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/overview Did they start charging recently?
Whilst some types of registration attract an application fee, those using Form UKM do not.

2. Once (assuming) the approval comes through, and he has his ceremony, does he need to wait till after he puts his passport application in, and we receive his British passport before move back there?
It would be advisable. There's no guarantee of being admitted at the UK border without one even if you are a British citizen. Turnaround times from the USA are only around two weeks however.

3. Should we just go back, with him on a tourist visa, and do his registration from over there and give up trying to do it from here in the US? It just seems difficult to reach the relevant UK departments from over here and I feel a little lost. I'm afraid of doing the application wrong, and want to make sure we get it right. I also don't want him to have to be dependent on me for too long.
That wouldn't be advisable as your husband will likely to be refused entry at the UK border as a non-genuine visitor if it's his intention to stay. The form is pretty straightforward and there's free advice available on this forum.

4. Would it be better for his employment to just do the marriage based visa?

Thanks in advance to all you wonderful advice givers here.
The employment and spouse visa routes are both considerably more complicated/expensive. Stick with UKM since you have the option.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

luivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

You are better than valium at soothing my tizzy. I Just feel a little overwhelmed by all the new info
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

You are better than valium at soothing my tizzy. I Just feel a little overwhelmed by all the new info
No need to tizzy anymore, you've found BE's brightest and finest with Brit in Paris
Old Dec 12th 2016, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No need to tizzy anymore, you've found BE's brightest and finest with Brit in Paris
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

luivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond repute

For the viewers following at home, we Fedexed the hubby's UKM application on Monday, Jan 30th. He got charged the ceremony fee yesterday, and got his "how to" biometrics letter by e-mail today.

Pretty speedy.

I submitted my US citizenship application to USCIS the same day. We can have a wee race

FYI, the UK biometrics centres in the USA are actually the USCIS biometrics centres.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

BillyThornton is an unknown quantity at this point

I am ready to submit my UKM application after a bit of a wait for some documents I needed.

Please if anyone knows the answer:

I see my own passport, which I am required to send for this application, has expired recently. I received conflicting info regarding whether it is ok to send the expired passport or if I need a new one to send. Again I was told 2 different answers from the home office.

Second question Can I send copies of my mother's and my passport? Worried if they lose them as I read about happening on the Net.

Thanks!!!
BT
Old Feb 9th 2017, 5:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillyThornton
I am ready to submit my UKM application after a bit of a wait for some documents I needed.

Please if anyone knows the answer:

I see my own passport, which I am required to send for this application, has expired recently. I received conflicting info regarding whether it is ok to send the expired passport or if I need a new one to send. Again I was told 2 different answers from the home office.

Second question Can I send copies of my mother's and my passport? Worried if they lose them as I read about happening on the Net.

Thanks!!!
BT
There is unlikely to be a right or wrong answer for question one but since you will need a valid US passport if you travel abroad you might as well renew it now. The answer is your second question is yes, you do need to send originals.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

For those following at home, my hubby just got a Fedex package returning his original documents...and a letter saying his application has been successful. We are both pleased as punch

Thank you everyone, especially BritinParis, for the welcome advice. BritinParis, I would be very glad to buy you a good dinner should you ever feel like revealing yourself.

We will be notified of his ceremony in the future.

For reference of others, we provided his US passport. an old passport of his mother's from 1967, post her marriage, his mother's long form birth certificate and his birth certificate showing parent's names.

Thanks again :=)
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:20 pm

For those following at home, my hubby just got a Fedex package returning his original documents...and a letter saying his application has been successful. We are both pleased as punch

Thank you everyone, especially BritinParis, for the welcome advice. BritinParis, I would be very glad to buy you a good dinner should you ever feel like revealing yourself.

We will be notified of his ceremony in the future.

For reference of others, we provided his US passport. an old passport of his mother's from 1967, post her marriage, his mother's long form birth certificate and his birth certificate showing parent's names.

Thanks again :=)
You are very welcome, I'm always happy to hear of people's success stories