American w/ British mother

Old Mar 5th 2016, 9:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American w/ British mother

Originally Posted by TAMills
Thank you very much! Again!
You are welcome.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

TAMills is an unknown quantity at this point

I apologize for continuing to be a pest (I just want to do this correctly).

Section 2.5 Address of tax office or tax office residence?

Thank you again sir!
Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TAMills
I apologize for continuing to be a pest (I just want to do this correctly).

Section 2.5 Address of tax office or tax office residence?

Thank you again sir!
I wouldn't worry about this - it's just making sure that you have paid all your UK taxes but if you've never worked in the UK then there's nothing to check with HMRC. I would just put down the US equivalent and put "Never worked in the UK" in brackets afterwards.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

BillyThornton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: American w/ British mother

Now I've collected my parents marriage certificate, my birth certificate and now I have a new question. When I was looking at my mother's birth certificate that I received from the UK it had a different last name! I asked my mother about it and she said her father changed it during the war. She said he made a deed poll and everything was done correctly. She remembers the process when she was a teen. Question is, I have searched online old newspaper announcements etc. and I can not find it. Mother said she has no paperwork it was so long ago. @ 1943. I will have to make the connection between the mother's name on my birth certificate and hers. What do I do?

Thank you for everyone's help,

Billy
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by BillyThornton
Now I've collected my parents marriage certificate, my birth certificate and now I have a new question. When I was looking at my mother's birth certificate that I received from the UK it had a different last name! I asked my mother about it and she said her father changed it during the war. She said he made a deed poll and everything was done correctly. She remembers the process when she was a teen. Question is, I have searched online old newspaper announcements etc. and I can not find it. Mother said she has no paperwork it was so long ago. @ 1943. I will have to make the connection between the mother's name on my birth certificate and hers. What do I do?

Thank you for everyone's help,

Billy
Changing your name in the UK is very easy (almost too easy) and it does mean it's difficult to prove a change of name many years later. Although not a legal requirement a small number of deed polls were 'gazetted' (published officially by the government) which you can search for free online.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Changing your name in the UK is very easy (almost too easy) and it does mean it's difficult to prove a change of name many years later. Although not a legal requirement a small number of deed polls were 'gazetted' (published officially by the government) which you can search for free online.
My wife and I have searched high and low on the Gazette as well as other online archives. Nothing. Frustrated to say the least. My grandfather was a band leader who during the war travelled with ENSA. I am told he changed his name for show business. Not sure why Williams wasn't good enough. :-) Anyway, I am lost. Spent the past few weeks searching, maybe there is another option.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:57 pm

My wife and I have searched high and low on the Gazette as well as other online archives. Nothing. Frustrated to say the least. My grandfather was a band leader who during the war travelled with ENSA. I am told he changed his name for show business. Not sure why Williams wasn't good enough. :-) Anyway, I am lost. Spent the past few weeks searching, maybe there is another option.
Hmm. Does your mother have a current British and/or US passport?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Hmm. Does your mother have a current British and/or US passport?
No UK passport
Yes US passport
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:24 pm

No UK passport
Yes US passport
At least that would state her place of birth as 'United Kingdom'. Does she have any other documents in her birth name other than her birth certificate? Does her marriage certificate list her birth name or just her adopted name?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

At least that would state her place of birth as 'United Kingdom'. Does she have any other documents in her birth name other than her birth certificate? Does her marriage certificate list her birth name or just her adopted name?
Her marriage certificate lists her adopted name. Her US passport would say her birthplace, Great Britain.

Last edited by BillyThornton; Aug 22nd 2016 at 9:42 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

The application itself is free but you'll need to pay an £80 administration charge to cover the cost of your citizenship ceremony. This will be taken during the application process.

You should include all the supporting documents when you post your application form to Liverpool. At a minimum this should be your current US passport, long form birth certificate, your mother's long form birth certificate and her marriage certificate if her name on your birth certificate differs from that on yours. If you have any old British passports belonging to your mother include these too. All these documents need to be originals. It's expensive but you should also consider sending these by a fully insured and tracking courier service.
Yet another question.

I was born in UK,one parent British, and have two children born outside UK to non British mother. Older child has British passport when he was child but never renewed and now over 18. Younger child received British passport at birth from local consulate.

Are there any rules that affect their citizenship after age 18 ?
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Her marriage certificate lists her adopted name. Her US passport would say her birthplace, Great Britain.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:10 pm

I think you might just have to have your mother complete a statutory declaration/affidavit regarding the circumstances of her name change. Throw in a copy of her US passport for good measure and see what the Home Office says.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth
Yet another question.

I was born in UK,one parent British, and have two children born outside UK to non British mother. Older child has British passport when he was child but never renewed and now over 18. Younger child received British passport at birth from local consulate.

Are there any rules that affect their citizenship after age 18 ?
Only if your children were not born British and were looking to register as a British citizen under S.3(1) which requires the applicant to be a minor at the time of application. If both children have already held British passports in the past then it's just a matter of renewing them as necessary. The longer it's left however the more likely HMPO are going to treat it as a first time application. Consular birth registration, where available, is optional but useful for peace of mind.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

luivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond reputeluivega has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to pile on an old thread. I called the Home Office pay for service number today and they were absolutely useless. Had no idea what a UKM application was and told me to call a different number tomorrow.

Background: I am British by birth and living in the USA, married to a US citizen whose mother was British by birth. His mother was born in the UK in 1941. He was born in the US in 1966. His father is American. He lived in the UK as a child from April 1976 to May 1981. However, this was as a USAF dependent under a SOFA. He attended British schools.

I want to go home, and, obviously, want him to be able to come with me, and work. I stumbled onto the UKM application whilst researching marriage based visas and thought this may be easier than a marriage based visa. I'm not sure though, after reading more.

I have some questions.

1. This thread references it being free for the application, but a fee for the biometric/oath ceremony of £80. However, the following page indicates it is £1,121 for the registration. https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/overview Did they start charging recently?

2. Once (assuming) the approval comes through, and he has his ceremony, does he need to wait till after he puts his passport application in, and we receive his British passport before move back there?

3. Should we just go back, with him on a tourist visa, and do his registration from over there and give up trying to do it from here in the US? It just seems difficult to reach the relevant UK departments from over here and I feel a little lost. I'm afraid of doing the application wrong, and want to make sure we get it right. I also don't want him to have to be dependent on me for too long.

4. Would it be better for his employment to just do the marriage based visa?

Thanks in advance to all you wonderful advice givers here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.