Am I British other than by descent?

Old Oct 16th 2018, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

GemCee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I British other than by descent?

Just me again! I've been reading the immigration acts and I'm wondering whether I am actually British by descent or other than by descent?

I was born in 1981 in Australia to two UK-born parents. I believe when the 1981 act came into effect in 1983, I became a British citizen. I have a British passport so that makes sense.

Under Section 14 of the act, it says I'm "by descent" if and only if... (iii) right of abode ONLY due to 2(1)(b) of the 1971 act... etc. But I think I have right of abode also due to 1971 2(1)(d) which is a Commonwealth Citizen with a parent born in the UK. So due to having right of abode by another method, I can't be by descent.

Does that make sense?
Old Oct 16th 2018, 12:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I British other than by descent?

You’re British by descent because of S.5 of the British Nationality Act 1948 which was in force when you were born.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

GemCee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I British other than by descent?

Ok thank you! I just wanted to check. Reading immigration acts for days has made me question everything!