Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Am I British by Descent or British Otherwise Than by Descent

Am I British by Descent or British Otherwise Than by Descent

Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

GwynethS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I British by Descent or British Otherwise Than by Descent

Hi all,
I'm new here, so bear with me.
My father was born in Kenya in 1962. He left Kenya with his family about two to three years after birth, moving to south Africa.
His mother was born in London in 1936, and his father was born in Kenya in 1936.
I'm not sure if he was registered or not, but all his passports (the first that I've found is from 1970) say that he is a British Subject, Citizen of the UK and Colonies, until his new passports issued after 1981 that say he is a British Citizen.

I would like to know if he is British by descent or British otherwise than by descent. Finding this out has been very difficult. Since I was born in the UK I have British citizenship, but my other siblings were born in South Africa. My brother is under 18 so can still apply to be registered if my father is British by descent, but my sisters are just over 18, so could only apply if dad is British otherwise than by descent.
We have spent so much money on lawyers, but they all say different things. Some have said that Dad can't pass it on at all, others have said it can be done.
I am at the end of my thread here.
Since dad was born in Kenya before it became independent I think my grandparents (who are both dead) must have registered him before they left.

So if he is British through being born in a colony, can he pass this on to his children? He is currently living in the UK and has married a British woman.
Any help would be so appreciated
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I British by Descent or British Otherwise Than by Descent

You say you have spent a lot of money on lawyers trying to have this question answered. Have your siblings tried applying for British passports yet?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You say you have spent a lot of money on lawyers trying to have this question answered. Have your siblings tried applying for British passports yet?
They haven't. From what I've seen online most people are saying that it will be rejected because you have to be born in the UK to be british otherwise than by descent.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Am I British by Descent or British Otherwise Than by Descent

There was another thread very recently, within the past few weeks, where someone reported that Kenya was a special case, unlike other British colonies, and that people born there before independence were British citizens who could pass on citizenship to their children, who would be "British by descent". Have a look for the recent thread, but I think I have the details right.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There was another thread very recently, within the past few weeks, where someone reported that Kenya was a special case, unlike other British colonies, and that people born there before independence were British citizens who could pass on citizenship to their children, who would be "British by descent". Have a look for the recent thread, but I think I have the details right.
Looks like GwynethS and judyv have hooked up so it's all good!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799455

Good luck Gwyneth.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Yes, thank guys.
It seems like my problem has a solution it looks like he is entitled to it, but I need a specific lawyer who knows this type of law to prove it. I'll post again when Ive managed to organize the finances for it. But it looks positive
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GwynethS
Yes, thank guys.
It seems like my problem has a solution it looks like he is entitled to it, but I need a specific lawyer who knows this type of law to prove it. I'll post again when Ive managed to organize the finances for it. But it looks positive
Happy to hear that!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother with lawyers - make an application to the UK Border Agency yourself for confirmation of British nationality.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...nationality/ns
Old Jun 27th 2013, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I wouldn't bother with lawyers - make an application to the UK Border Agency yourself for confirmation of British nationality.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...nationality/ns
Thanks for the link, I will look into this.