Already married but moving to the UK..??

Old Jun 5th 2018, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Clloyd101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Already married but moving to the UK..??

Hi everyone,

Just a thought. I’m British and my girlfriend is American. Im trying to find the best way that we can live together in the UK. Talking about Spouse visas. Friends of ours (who are Canadian) have said that it is legal to get married in Canada on a tourist visa. Once we are married would it be possible to then just apply straight away for the UK Spouse Visa and skip the UK fiancé visa? I hope that makes sense. We’re just looking at the most efficient but cheapest way to do this.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

spinrs2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Already married but moving to the UK..??

Hi Clloyd101,

As long as you follow all the rules in the country where you decide to get married and have the marriage certificate then I don't see why you couldn't apply for a spouse visa straight away after that, I don't believe there is a rule you have to be married XX amount of time before you can apply.

a more important question and often the hardest is how will you meet the financial requirements, are you working currently in Canada earning more then £18600? will you have a job offer in the uk before moving back starting within 3 months? do you have savings amounting to £62500 etc

what about housing requirements? do you own a house or will you be looking to rent or stay with family? etc?

These are the questions you'll need answers/evidence for before applying for a spouse visa to UK.

Last edited by spinrs2k; Jun 5th 2018 at 4:40 am.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 6:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You can get married in most countries as a tourist - including the US if your gf wanted a home wedding.

The crucial thing, as said above, is qualifying for a spouse visa afterwards.

Good luck.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 12:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Get married wherever you wish to. You should only consider a fiancée visa if your preference is to marry in the UK.