Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

1st spousal visa granted - 3 month extra wait due to COVID-19

1st spousal visa granted - 3 month extra wait due to COVID-19

Old Jun 15th 2020, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Alelza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st spousal visa granted - 3 month extra wait due to COVID-19

Hi all

My husband's first spousal visa has been granted - I've posted the specifics and time line in the time line thread.

We submitted the application roughly 1 month before the UK went into lock down. I believe had it not been for the lock down, my husband would have had his visa granted and passport returned in mid March and that lock down added 3 months to out waiting time. Once the UKVI/VFS offices started re-opening, it was only a week or two before my husband received his passport and grant letter.

We seem to be the first on this forum to have had the visa granted post COVID-19. Hope this information might be useful/provide an idea of waits etc for those who are in a similar boat.

Huge thanks to those on this forum who provided assistance and reassurance to us whilst we were in the process of getting the application together.

Best wishes to all - especially to those who are still nervously waiting!
Old Jun 15th 2020, 2:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st spousal visa granted - 3 month extra wait due to COVID-19

Originally Posted by Alelza
Hi all

My husband's first spousal visa has been granted - I've posted the specifics and time line in the time line thread.

We submitted the application roughly 1 month before the UK went into lock down. I believe had it not been for the lock down, my husband would have had his visa granted and passport returned in mid March and that lock down added 3 months to out waiting time. Once the UKVI/VFS offices started re-opening, it was only a week or two before my husband received his passport and grant letter.

We seem to be the first on this forum to have had the visa granted post COVID-19. Hope this information might be useful/provide an idea of waits etc for those who are in a similar boat.

Huge thanks to those on this forum who provided assistance and reassurance to us whilst we were in the process of getting the application together.

That's wonderful news Alelza, congratulations to you and your husband! Thanks very much for reporting back, I'm sure it'll be very helpful for others.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks, spouse of scouse!

The other thing I wanted to highlight is that my husband has been given 3 months to enter the UK - am I right in thinking this is unusual? I was under the impression that usually people are given 1 month to enter.

If I'm right in thinking this is unusual, I assume that it's because of the various travel restrictions in place.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 2:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, spouse of scouse!

The other thing I wanted to highlight is that my husband has been given 3 months to enter the UK - am I right in thinking this is unusual? I was under the impression that usually people are given 1 month to enter.

If I'm right in thinking this is unusual, I assume that it's because of the various travel restrictions in place.
People are usually given 1 month from the date they nominated on their application, or from the date the visa was granted, whichever is the later. I agree that the 3 months is most likely due to the travel restrictions. It's nice to be able to say that I think the Home Office got this one right, 3 months is far more sensible given the current chaos!
Old Jun 15th 2020, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Josephine25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats! Best of luck to you
Old Jun 15th 2020, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Aarav89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - what country did u apply from and was it priority? Thanks
Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aarav89
Hi - what country did u apply from and was it priority? Thanks
Top tip: if you click on a forum members username you can select from the drop down menu to see their previous posts, and you’d find the post the OP mentions above from the timeline thread - UK Spouse Visa STRICTLY TIMELINES ONLY - NO CHAT

HTH and welcome to the forum.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Louiseyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Just wanted to say congrats, and thanks for being the bearer of good news! We applied for my husband’s spouse visa (priority) and he had his biometrics done on 19th March, and Japan’s centres reopened on 22nd June so am really hoping to hear soon!
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Louiseyd
Just wanted to say congrats, and thanks for being the bearer of good news! We applied for my husband’s spouse visa (priority) and he had his biometrics done on 19th March, and Japan’s centres reopened on 22nd June so am really hoping to hear soon!
Wishing you all the best! Hoping you get some good news soon too. Please don't forget to share your details on the timeline thread - I have a couple of friends who are in similar boats and would benefit from the information pooling.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Louiseyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Wishing you all the best! Hoping you get some good news soon too. Please don't forget to share your details on the timeline thread - I have a couple of friends who are in similar boats and would benefit from the information pooling.
Thank you 😊 Yes, will make sure to add mine! I was wondering actually- where did you hear the news about being granted the visa from- was it from the U.K. or your own centre? Was it an email containing the approval or just a notification that you’d get the passport sent? I’m wondering whether I should be giving up on hearing for the day at 5:30pm Japan or U.K. time...
Old Jul 1st 2020, 12:42 am
Just Joined

We didn't know that the visa was granted until my husband's passport was returned enclosed in the visa approval letter from UVKI. We got a text message notification that the passport was being returned a few days before it arrived. I think all the notifications we received throughout the entire process were sent in UK time. I hope that helps!