Working in Hong Kong

Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:12 am
Just Joined

tomwaevans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Hong Kong

Hi. I am looking to find a job in Hong Kong but having looked at some forums and sites it seems a degree education is fairly important. I am educated to A-level but do not hold a degree. I work in business development (logistics with banking before that) and would look to move into one of the same fields.

Would anyone be able to advise if there is a any way of finding work in Hong Kong in this kind of area without a degree and having a company sponsor your work permit? If not are there other ways to find employment in Hong Kong without being educated to degree standard?

Many thanks
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Hong Kong

Originally Posted by tomwaevans
Hi. I am looking to find a job in Hong Kong but having looked at some forums and sites it seems a degree education is fairly important. I am educated to A-level but do not hold a degree. I work in business development (logistics with banking before that) and would look to move into one of the same fields.

Would anyone be able to advise if there is a any way of finding work in Hong Kong in this kind of area without a degree and having a company sponsor your work permit? If not are there other ways to find employment in Hong Kong without being educated to degree standard?

Many thanks
I don't think the lack of a degree is a big problem, but rather whether your skills and experiencese are sought after in Hong Kong. The cost of living in Hong Kong is very high, no different from London, so you'll want a decent pay to cover your expenses. For a company for sponsor your work visa and pay you well, you really need to possess unique skills that they couldn't find locally. Have you work with multinational companies before? If so, check with them to see they operate in HK. That can be your best bet

You've got to think from the employer's point of view - what can they get from you that they can't get from the locals?

A popular job site for HK is the Classified Post of the SCMP. Have a look there and see if anything suits?!

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mrs JTL that's really helpful. I work for a multinational corp now and they have a strong presence in HK. I guess I just need to establish what I can bring to the table over somebody local.

Many thanks again.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

Why are you only thinking about HK ? Being an expat in many countries can bring a lot of satisfaction, both professionally and personally.

Limiting your horizon to just one location will limit your opportunities.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Andrew. Yes you're right it is limiting especially given the specific location. I'm looking at HK because my partner lives there - but I guess I could look at surrounding locations that would reduce the time difference and give me more choice.

Thanks Andrew!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I have lived in Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and know people who live in Shanghai, Guangzhou, Macau and Tokyo. Tokyo is a difficult place to make friends and costly to live. Hong Kong and Singapore are very westernised and have most of the trappings that you are likely used to back home. HK has more of a mix of people and food and both are easily accessible by most airlines. Its downside is its population density - some days you just don't want to go out and mingle with what seems like Christmas shoppers every day.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
I have lived in Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and know people who live in Shanghai, Guangzhou, Macau and Tokyo. Tokyo is a difficult place to make friends and costly to live. Hong Kong and Singapore are very westernised and have most of the trappings that you are likely used to back home. HK has more of a mix of people and food and both are easily accessible by most airlines. Its downside is its population density - some days you just don't want to go out and mingle with what seems like Christmas shoppers every day.
What's the haze like these days.
Does that come into decision making??????????
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ex reg
What's the haze like these days.
Does that come into decision making??????????
Haze - not really, air pollution - yes. But then if you're being paid squillions and don't have children to worry about then go for it.