Shanghai rental prices

Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:37 am
Just Joined

leeboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shanghai rental prices

HI All,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the affordability of Shanghai, living there?

I may have an opening coming up to work there but want to investigate living costs? I am not after anything too plush or swanky... As long as its livable for both me and my partner then that is fine.

Any advice or links to other websites would be gratefully received...

Basically im working out how much I can living off if i were to move to China:-

Accomodation: ?
Monthly food allowence: ? (doesnt have to be eating out all the time) i like to eat like locals anyway)
Any other hidden charges: ?

thank you

Lee
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:27 am
Just Joined

shexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default price varies, massively

When I got to sh I rented a 2 bed in Jing An, slighly older building 98sqm RMB7000/ month, pretty decent place. I recently moved to Putou just 2KM down the road, older building (10 years old) but way better interior dec and appliances 120sqm, now I pay RMB4500 / mth. There are other expats paying 2 times+ this to live in the newer buildings just a few minutes away. It depends what your requirements are: if you want to live with other expats in the new compounds, shop at the foreign supermarkets, eat at the western restaruants etc, my experience is that you will pay more than you would for the equivalent in UK. In my opinion the newer buildings don't reflect the higher price commanded, but this is just my personal view. I have friends paying way more than me who are happy with their choice. If you're willing to settle for an older compound and look around until you find a decent place then there are some good bargains to be had, otherwise expect to pay a lot more. You need to find a good local agent, or a few of them in the area you are interested in, if you don't speak Chinese, then prefarably take a Chinese friend with you so that you can negotiate on price. Everything here is negotiable.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Default Re: price varies, massively

Originally Posted by shexpat
When I got to sh I rented a 2 bed in Jing An, slighly older building 98sqm RMB7000/ month, pretty decent place. I recently moved to Putou just 2KM down the road, older building (10 years old) but way better interior dec and appliances 120sqm, now I pay RMB4500 / mth. There are other expats paying 2 times+ this to live in the newer buildings just a few minutes away. It depends what your requirements are: if you want to live with other expats in the new compounds, shop at the foreign supermarkets, eat at the western restaruants etc, my experience is that you will pay more than you would for the equivalent in UK. In my opinion the newer buildings don't reflect the higher price commanded, but this is just my personal view. I have friends paying way more than me who are happy with their choice. If you're willing to settle for an older compound and look around until you find a decent place then there are some good bargains to be had, otherwise expect to pay a lot more. You need to find a good local agent, or a few of them in the area you are interested in, if you don't speak Chinese, then prefarably take a Chinese friend with you so that you can negotiate on price. Everything here is negotiable.
@shexpat,

thank you veyr much for your advise, its much appreciated and helpful. I am not bothered about the appartment being new, so long as its comfortable and livable, that is ideal.

I dont want to be cheecky, but would you mind showing me a little bit of what the place you have looks like, feel free to continue this conversation via my personal email as i know that i am asking a rather personal thing (and i wouldnt be supprised if you told me to bugger off - but if you dont ask, you dont get, and this way i would be able to see roughly what is on offer for the money )

my email is [email protected] should you wish to help me further

kindest regards

Lee
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shanghai rental prices

Originally Posted by leeboy
HI All,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the affordability of Shanghai, living there?

I may have an opening coming up to work there but want to investigate living costs? I am not after anything too plush or swanky... As long as its livable for both me and my partner then that is fine.

Any advice or links to other websites would be gratefully received...

Basically im working out how much I can living off if i were to move to China:-

Accomodation: ?
Monthly food allowence: ? (doesnt have to be eating out all the time) i like to eat like locals anyway)
Any other hidden charges: ?

thank you

Lee
Hi Lee,

I'd say SHEXPAT has it just about right. I lived in Jing An also for two years, and only left three months ago. I was in a building 3-4 years old and it looked ten years old. One thing you will have difficulty to find in Shanghai apartments is style, since the Chinese simply haven't learnt it yet. So it will either be a real mess or just a bit too bling bling and lots of 'white' lights everywhere, very cold.

Try http://www.joannarealestate.com.cn/ , they cater for expats, have excellent English and will negotiate for you. I didn't use them, but a colleague did. You DO NOT pay them anything, despite what they or other estate agents might say - only the owner pays the agents commission, so don't fall for that con. Additionally, you can look in the classifieds of Shanghai Expat, or That's Shanghai, magazines.

My place was two bedrooms, one bathroom, 110 SqM and was CNY 9250 per month. It seems I was conned by my agent to increase the price (so he got more commission), but you only find these things out in the long run. It should have been about 8000-8500. There are 1 bedroom places which should be around 6-7000 as shaexpat mentioned, although I think his 4500rmb deal is seriously cheap. Be wary that the apartment might not have smoke alarms or even any fire alarm system in the building at all, as mine did not!

If your partner is a business partner and you're sharing, then I expect you'll prefer a two bed, however, maybe you mean your girlfriend or something :-)

I saved a ton while I was there, although, mainly because my Wife is Chinese and she could take care of all the ordering in the local restaurants, although to be honest, you will probably crave some Western food a couple of times a week, or some alternative Asian food. Chinese and Shanghainese food is nothing like you find in the UK, but you won't go starving.

Some prices? Beer - 40 to 75 RMB a pint, which is Tiger at the lower end and Guinness / Kilkenny at the upper end - roughly 3.60 to 6.80 GBP, its around 11 to the GBP right now. A good plate full of fish and chips or something in bars like Big Bamboo or Spot will cost you around 60-90 RMB.

Once you start to find the more local restaurants with English menus, or pictures, you can get much cheaper, although still expect to spend between 80-200 RMB for two. Note that beer in the local restaurants is considerably cheaper at about 12 rmb for a large bottle.

I used to eat out at lunch times for about 35-100 RMB and eat light, maybe a salad or something, in the evenings. Stay in most nights and if you work until 7-8pm you probably will anyway, and you'll spend around 1000-1200 rmb a week, plus rent, unless your company is covering it. If your company is covering the rent, it will be good if they sign and stamp the contract in their name which will take the worry away, since some Shanghainese landlords have a reputation for keeping the deposits.

As for hidden charges, it's mainly your landlord, who will hike the price as much as possible and charge you from your deposit for anything slightly out of order, so make sure you negotiate your contract well and make changes if you don't like something.

Look out for the great dumplings to snack on and suck the soup out! Jing An park and People's Square are great in the Summer, although don't be surprised if it has a similar number of people to what you would see shopping in the Boxing Day sales in the UK. Nearly 20 million people in Shanghai, most of the traffic is people on the pavements!

Good luck and have fun, it's quite an experience.
Send me a PM if you wish to ask more in private. Sorry its a bit long, maybe I miss Shanghai a little....

Rgds, MP
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Hi Lee,

I'd say SHEXPAT has it just about right. I lived in Jing An also for two years, and only left three months ago. I was in a building 3-4 years old and it looked ten years old. One thing you will have difficulty to find in Shanghai apartments is style, since the Chinese simply haven't learnt it yet. So it will either be a real mess or just a bit too bling bling and lots of 'white' lights everywhere, very cold.

Try http://www.joannarealestate.com.cn/ , they cater for expats, have excellent English and will negotiate for you. I didn't use them, but a colleague did. You DO NOT pay them anything, despite what they or other estate agents might say - only the owner pays the agents commission, so don't fall for that con. Additionally, you can look in the classifieds of Shanghai Expat, or That's Shanghai, magazines.

My place was two bedrooms, one bathroom, 110 SqM and was CNY 9250 per month. It seems I was conned by my agent to increase the price (so he got more commission), but you only find these things out in the long run. It should have been about 8000-8500. There are 1 bedroom places which should be around 6-7000 as shaexpat mentioned, although I think his 4500rmb deal is seriously cheap. Be wary that the apartment might not have smoke alarms or even any fire alarm system in the building at all, as mine did not!

If your partner is a business partner and you're sharing, then I expect you'll prefer a two bed, however, maybe you mean your girlfriend or something :-)

I saved a ton while I was there, although, mainly because my Wife is Chinese and she could take care of all the ordering in the local restaurants, although to be honest, you will probably crave some Western food a couple of times a week, or some alternative Asian food. Chinese and Shanghainese food is nothing like you find in the UK, but you won't go starving.

Some prices? Beer - 40 to 75 RMB a pint, which is Tiger at the lower end and Guinness / Kilkenny at the upper end - roughly 3.60 to 6.80 GBP, its around 11 to the GBP right now. A good plate full of fish and chips or something in bars like Big Bamboo or Spot will cost you around 60-90 RMB.

Once you start to find the more local restaurants with English menus, or pictures, you can get much cheaper, although still expect to spend between 80-200 RMB for two. Note that beer in the local restaurants is considerably cheaper at about 12 rmb for a large bottle.

I used to eat out at lunch times for about 35-100 RMB and eat light, maybe a salad or something, in the evenings. Stay in most nights and if you work until 7-8pm you probably will anyway, and you'll spend around 1000-1200 rmb a week, plus rent, unless your company is covering it. If your company is covering the rent, it will be good if they sign and stamp the contract in their name which will take the worry away, since some Shanghainese landlords have a reputation for keeping the deposits.

As for hidden charges, it's mainly your landlord, who will hike the price as much as possible and charge you from your deposit for anything slightly out of order, so make sure you negotiate your contract well and make changes if you don't like something.

Look out for the great dumplings to snack on and suck the soup out! Jing An park and People's Square are great in the Summer, although don't be surprised if it has a similar number of people to what you would see shopping in the Boxing Day sales in the UK. Nearly 20 million people in Shanghai, most of the traffic is people on the pavements!

Good luck and have fun, it's quite an experience.
Send me a PM if you wish to ask more in private. Sorry its a bit long, maybe I miss Shanghai a little....

Rgds, MP
MonsterP,

thank you very much for this great reply. you have helped significantly and I hope an offer comes in for me Im sitting tight in hope now, if a job comes up I will most surely be asking you more questions if you dont mind

but thank you up to now.

Regards

Lee
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:03 am
Just Joined

MonsterP,

Im sure i replied to you before, not sure what happened sorry

thanks very much for youre response, its very helpful indeed

im waiting to hear back from potential jobs, if any land i will surely be in need of more advice. cheers for your great post, it offers me a perfect insight to what i should be looking for

lee
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:04 am
Just Joined

oh and i forgot to mention this time - my partner is indeed my fiancée not business partner
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeboy
oh and i forgot to mention this time - my partner is indeed my fiancée not business partner
No problem, anytime you wish.
regards
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Shanghai rental prices and Visa advice

Hi All,

New question,

I have an interview win Shanghai within the the next 2 weeks, I have been told that I need to arrange my own visa.. I have a letter from my potential employer that states that I am invited to tend an interview with the first two weeks of March and that all expenses would be paid by the company.

What are my options for a visa? I will be leaving from Phuket, Thailand and I am a British citizen.

They require me to be there for 2-3 nights, so the visa will need to last this long.

Do I need to apply for a visa or can I go straight to the airport without doing anything before hand?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Lee
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Shanghai rental prices / Business Visa for China

HI Lee,

Dead easy this one.
You are invited to attend an interview, not work. Therefore you require a business visa (F). Usually they only do single entries at the Embassies in TH, and it will be valid for three months, although you're only allowed to stay for 30 days after entry - which I'm sure will be plenty to do your interview.
I had one for a trip back in January. Cost is around B2100 and takes about three days.

If you get the job and decide to accept, then you'll have a completely new visa to apply for which means a whole bunch of paperwork to do which will be taken care of largely by the company (Alien employment certificate, etc). You also get a residence permit in China (unlike TH).

Just make sure that the invitation letter from the company states that you're required to be there for business from the date of your interview at least, you could arrive the day before, just as long as you tell the Embassy the correct dates of your flight (I think you'll need to give them a copy of your itinery).

Not sure what access you have in Phuket to a Chinese consular, but maybe you'd have to go to BKK instead. Just give them a call, as although this information is on their website, it isn't updated properly.

By the way, good luck. Shanghai had changed even in three months after I was last there, and looks fantastic now. China is pretty straight forward when it comes to visas, if you're going to work, then you apply for a work visa from the start, no messing around like in TH!

Let me know how you get on, send me a PM if you wish.

regards
MP
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:09 am
Banned

easy is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2010 Shanghai World Expo make the apartment rate is much different from normal days......
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by easy
The 2010 Shanghai World Expo make the apartment rate is much different from normal days......
True 'easy', however, rates in Shanghai are such that many companies cover the cost, and the risks, by having a company contract for the rental whereby the landlord provides full tax receipts each month - Which should not be accepted as part of the negotiation to increase the rate.
I would advise having a company contract for apartments as Shanghai landlords can be tricky, and will hold you to the letter if you default on any part of the contract, ie damage, early termination, etc.

Cheers
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Shanghai rental prices / Business Visa for China

HI Lee,

Dead easy this one.
You are invited to attend an interview, not work. Therefore you require a business visa (F). Usually they only do single entries at the Embassies in TH, and it will be valid for three months, although you're only allowed to stay for 30 days after entry - which I'm sure will be plenty to do your interview.
I had one for a trip back in January. Cost is around B2100 and takes about three days.

If you get the job and decide to accept, then you'll have a completely new visa to apply for which means a whole bunch of paperwork to do which will be taken care of largely by the company (Alien employment certificate, etc). You also get a residence permit in China (unlike TH).

Just make sure that the invitation letter from the company states that you're required to be there for business from the date of your interview at least, you could arrive the day before, just as long as you tell the Embassy the correct dates of your flight (I think you'll need to give them a copy of your itinery).

Not sure what access you have in Phuket to a Chinese consular, but maybe you'd have to go to BKK instead. Just give them a call, as although this information is on their website, it isn't updated properly.

By the way, good luck. Shanghai had changed even in three months after I was last there, and looks fantastic now. China is pretty straight forward when it comes to visas, if you're going to work, then you apply for a work visa from the start, no messing around like in TH!

Let me know how you get on, send me a PM if you wish.

regards
MP
Hi MonsterP,

As always, very helpful, one quick question if I may,

Do I have to go to Bangkok to get my visa? And can this be done within the same day (I hear there is a express same day service) or do I have to do the 3-4 days? Can I get a Visa from Phuket where I am currently residing?

Should I go for the Business Visa or tourist Visa? I will only be in Shanghai for 2-3 days and only really intend on attending my interview - that's it.....

I'm asking this because maybe one of the visa's can be obtained on the same day etc...... cost isn't a problem as my company will be paying for that.

Kind regards

Lee
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello Lee, no problem.

However, I work in Logistics rather than an Immigration, so you really need to be picking up the phone and asking the Embassy the specifics. It all depends on if there is a Chinese consulate issuing visas in Phuket.

There is an express version done the same day, but you will pay double.

Best not to mess around where visas are concerned, you're more likely to get a business visa than a tourist visa, and your tourist visa isn't for this purpose. Especially since the company will cover the costs for you, it's a 'no brainer'.

If you go personally to the Embassy, make sure you're there as they open to get your que ticket, otherwise you won't get seen that day as they're always very busy.

You'll find Shanghai to be a fast moving city and business life that's very competitive. No horizontal working as many do in TH, but good to learn from.

regards
MP
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Hello Lee, no problem.

However, I work in Logistics rather than an Immigration, so you really need to be picking up the phone and asking the Embassy the specifics. It all depends on if there is a Chinese consulate issuing visas in Phuket.

There is an express version done the same day, but you will pay double.

Best not to mess around where visas are concerned, you're more likely to get a business visa than a tourist visa, and your tourist visa isn't for this purpose. Especially since the company will cover the costs for you, it's a 'no brainer'.

If you go personally to the Embassy, make sure you're there as they open to get your que ticket, otherwise you won't get seen that day as they're always very busy.

You'll find Shanghai to be a fast moving city and business life that's very competitive. No horizontal working as many do in TH, but good to learn from.

regards
MP
Hey MonsterP

I have been to Shanghai and have been offered a job... it looks I will be heading out there within the next 2 weeks.. I have 2 weeks accommodation arranged in a hotel in the centre of Shanghai and then im left to look after myself - Any additional rental advise would be amazing im looking to pay on the lower end..... during my interview i was advised that rent could be found for as little as 2500 RMB per month and up to 5000RMB - i wouldnt want to go over this tho and dont mind having to catch the metro to peoples square in the morning - sorry - thats where i wil be working, on peoples square (so accommodation should be accessible to this)...

cheers all and thanks in advance for any additional advice

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.