Where to live in HK

Old Nov 6th 2006, 2:57 am
Just Joined

bubu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in HK

Hi! Don't know quite where to begin... I'm moving to HK with my husband and 2 kids (a 1 and 2 yr old) in Jan 07. I'm trying to figure out the best place to live to save money. I wish I could walk to work (My job is in Central), but I am willing to commute - as long as its realatively painless and less than an hour - in order to get a lower rent and still a nice environment. But I don't want to get a car.

Some have suggested South Horizons - does anyone know about this place? Also suggested was Lamma Island. I'd love to get any information or suggestions as I know so little.

Is it realistic to think I may find a place for 13-17,000 with 2 or 3 bedrooms (and maybe a swimming pool?) I don't have much of an idea of what I am talking about so please feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:18 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in HK

I live on Lamma and chose it because it is quiet and green as opposed to anywhere near Central (where myself and my wife work). There are no cars on the island, it's foot and pedal power, so it is quieter and greener than Central. It is a great environment for younger kids as there are a lot of families who choose there because you get a lot more space for your dollar and you have a lot of space on your doorstep for hill walking, swimming in the sea etc.
There are various downsides such as no big supermarket (though they do deliver to Lamma), a coal powered power station and you are limited by the ferry timetable. The ferry is something some people complain about but it is a 25 minute comfortable ride in on a fast ferry (HKD16 one way (1 pound 30 pence)) and drops you off in central. I think it's great because you can read the paper, have a cup of coffee and kids can walk around if they're bored.
Southside is very nice too. There are cars and commuting in rush hour in a bus can take well over an hour but 20 mins or so at quiet times. housing is much more expensive though.
You could try www.squarefoot.com.hk or www.lamma.com.hk for more info. Gotta run!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I would think twice before living on any of the HK islands if you haven't lived in HK previously.

Your accomodation allowance also looks a bit low.

You might want to try looking at Fo Tan. That's right up in the clouds above Sha Tin.
We've lived up there twice previously.
Great views, fresh air and even ice on the ground sometimes in winter.
Easy to get to central in less than one hour.

Other possibilty is the country park around Sai Kung.
Especially if you'd prefer a house with a garden rather than an apartment.
Might be boardering on one hours travel to Central.

Clearwater Bay and Silver Strand are prolly outside your budget.

Tsuen Wan is a possibility which you shouldn't discount until you've looked at it. Some fair apartments with nice views and it's got all you need handily placed. If you stay in the Panda hotel there which is good and cheapish then it's easy to look around.

From the above you'll guess that I'm not one for staying on HK island.
I'm in the minority there
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Centaline is the largest local real estate agency in HK. Their website might give you an idea of prices in different ares of HK. I've just done a sample advance search for you selecting All Districts and Rent Approx HKD13,000. For each property, there's a "Location Map" which, when zoomed out, will show you where it is. The web site takes a bit of getting used to as it's not that well designed IMO.

Have you got access to a map of Hong Kong and its MTR (underground train) system? Basically most stations would be within an hour from Central. The public transport system is very good and reliable, though crowded during rush hours.

Most of the new large developments have shared swimming pools and if not there's always a public pool not far from where you live.

Lamma Island is a pleasant little island. Though my husband probably wouldn't want to work and live in Hong Kong, he wouldn't mind retiring on Lamma Island one day. South Horizons is on Ap Lei Chau which is connected by bridges to the southwest of Hong Kong Island. The apartment blocks are relatively new and facilities are good - pools, shopping centre, markets, restuarants, etc. Bus trip to Central on the express buses takes 20-40 minutes.

If you have more questions, ask away, there're a few on here either living there or having lived there for extensive period of time who would love to help answer them.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the recommendations. Very helpful.

I realize now that I know even less than I thought I did about HK and the various places you can live.

So, of the million to come (I'm sure), my next question is how to go about it? Ideally, I'd would love an extremely informed real estate agent to assess my situation (don't want to get car, want to spend little, commute under an hour, and have swimming pool if poss) and show me all the various neighborhoods from HK island to little islands to new territories and let me see what I get for my money in each place and pick one. Do they do this?

I will be moving on or around January 20. We thought we'd contact agents now and set up a few to show us places during a weekend in Dec - probably the 8th. We're living in China temporarily right now - so we have the luxury of looking before we move. My company is small and the relocation package is "we'll share some of the costs with you" as I am already in China - so I don't think I have the luxury of renting a month to month until I find a place. Besides, I'd really like to be sorted.

What do you think?

I'll tell ya, just hearing from you guys helps.

Thanks,
Bubu

IS this a good plan? What agents can you recommend?
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
I would think twice before living on any of the HK islands if you haven't lived in HK previously.

Your accomodation allowance also looks a bit low.

You might want to try looking at Fo Tan. That's right up in the clouds above Sha Tin.
We've lived up there twice previously.
Great views, fresh air and even ice on the ground sometimes in winter.
Easy to get to central in less than one hour.

Other possibilty is the country park around Sai Kung.
Especially if you'd prefer a house with a garden rather than an apartment.
Might be boardering on one hours travel to Central.

Clearwater Bay and Silver Strand are prolly outside your budget.

Tsuen Wan is a possibility which you shouldn't discount until you've looked at it. Some fair apartments with nice views and it's got all you need handily placed. If you stay in the Panda hotel there which is good and cheapish then it's easy to look around.

From the above you'll guess that I'm not one for staying on HK island.
I'm in the minority there

Question: the places you mentioned - do you need a car? Thanks for all the insight! Bubu
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubu
Question: the places you mentioned - do you need a car? Thanks for all the insight! Bubu
No car required.

But it always helps.

We used a Ms Julie King at Jones Lang Wooton, quite a big estate agency in Hong Kong.
I doubt if she still works there now though.
But the agency itself is an international one and were very helpful to us although I'm not sure if we finally rented from their stock.

Funnily enough though we did end up staying in a house just three doors away from Julie.

http://iypsearch.yp.com.hk//iypbusin...=&cboDistrict= hat lists all the estate agents, there are a lot, many are one man bands and may only speak chinese.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:14 am
Just Joined

TiggyH is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in HK for 7 years and I have a 2 year old son. It is a wonderful place, and even 75% of HK island is green and 80% of Kowloon - New territories are green too. The 1 mile wide band around the coast is full of high rises. Slightly more so in Central and Happy Valley.

There are so many pluses to being here - exceptional low crime, exceptionally low taxes, very cheep, clean and efficient public transport, wonderful social life. You can play most sports here and there are miles and miles of hiking trails to enjoy.

The down side is housing. It is stupidly expensive.

To be honest 13 - 17k won't get you much to be honest, no matter where you live. Lamma is cheaper for sure and you could probably get somewhere there on that budget, is Discovery Bay - which is nicer and better for very young families, but wherever you live you will find yourself trecking into Central for social activites and non-supermarket shopping.

HK is NOT stoller friendly, so you will find yourself taking taxis all over the place - but they are cheap as chips. I live in Stanley (south of the Island) and can take a 40 min cab ride to central for 5 pounds if that gives you an idea. The bus costs about 60p.

There are hundereds of public swimming pools in HK (most of which are closed between November and Easter as it is too cold - in HK terms). So that is not a problem. You won't get a place with a pool at that level of rent. Also there are loads of really good children's playgounds too.

I recommend you speak to your employer and get them to up the rental package a LOT.

If you need to find out more please do e-mail me.

Tiggy

Hi! Don't know quite where to begin... I'm moving to HK with my husband and 2 kids (a 1 and 2 yr old) in Jan 07. I'm trying to figure out the best place to live to save money. I wish I could walk to work (My job is in Central), but I am willing to commute - as long as its realatively painless and less than an hour - in order to get a lower rent and still a nice environment. But I don't want to get a car.

Some have suggested South Horizons - does anyone know about this place? Also suggested was Lamma Island. I'd love to get any information or suggestions as I know so little.

Is it realistic to think I may find a place for 13-17,000 with 2 or 3 bedrooms (and maybe a swimming pool?) I don't have much of an idea of what I am talking about so please feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice

Hi I currently live in HK with a two year son, I have been here for four years and I am leaving in January for Brisbane.
Your rent allowance does seem very low, as the prices here have shot up since we got the SARS all clear.
Take a look at www.gohome.com.hk to give you an idea of rents.

I went to a BBQ last week at a friends who lives in a government apartment it was huge you can get so much more for your money. The government buildings here are not like the council estates in the UK, They do look grubby from the outside (like most buildings in HK) but they are great on the inside.

Discovery bay is about a 30min commute by ferry (24hrs) and it is full of Expats. There is plenty of space for the kids to run.
I live in Pokfulam (15m commute to central) its a bit greener than some parts of the Island.

I will say that when you first arrive HK can be daunting, but I have found it to be the safest place that I have ever lived, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

PM me if you have any questions and i will try to answer them.
(i don't suppose you live in Brisbane and can help me out?)
v
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice

Sorry I forgot to add another good website:-
www.asiaexpat.com
v
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Laura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud of

We lived in Discovery Bay, which is on Lantau Island. It's a nice environment for the children, and the commute is by comfortable, air-conditioned ferry (half an hour) to Central. You can walk straight into the hills behind DB and into the country park.

Two years ago, we were paying 28,000 HKD for a three bedroomed ground floor flat in a low rise, with a tiny patio. Living in a high rise was cheaper.

We belonged to the Discovery Bay Residents' Club, and used the pool there. I can't remember what the fees were for that.

Best wishes

Laura in China
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Laura in China
We lived in Discovery Bay, which is on Lantau Island. It's a nice environment for the children, and the commute is by comfortable, air-conditioned ferry (half an hour) to Central. You can walk straight into the hills behind DB and into the country park.

Two years ago, we were paying 28,000 HKD for a three bedroomed ground floor flat in a low rise, with a tiny patio. Living in a high rise was cheaper.

We belonged to the Discovery Bay Residents' Club, and used the pool there. I can't remember what the fees were for that.

Best wishes

Laura in China
I am meeting with an agent from Landscope to view apts in Discov Bay on Sunday. I have a question. Are there only international schools there? My children are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 yrs old.... I'd like to send them to some sort of playschool a few days a week. We've been living in China for a year and they both speak mandarin and english words so we thought a local playschool or kindergarden would be cheaper and easier to find placement. Are there any that you know of? And if not, what types are available for such young children on DB?

THANKS!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Laura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud ofLaura in China has much to be proud of

I am meeting with an agent from Landscope to view apts in Discov Bay on Sunday. I have a question. Are there only international schools there? My children are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 yrs old.... I'd like to send them to some sort of playschool a few days a week. We've been living in China for a year and they both speak mandarin and english words so we thought a local playschool or kindergarden would be cheaper and easier to find placement. Are there any that you know of? And if not, what types are available for such young children on DB?

THANKS!
There is a local primary school in DB, but it's Cantonese, not Mandarin. There's also a school called PISDB or DB PIS, which is meant to be a bilingual international school, but it was built after I left, so I don't know anything about it. It will be for older children anyway.

You might like to look at Discovery Mind Kindergarten. When I was in DB, they had a class running which was Mandarin immersion. I'm not sure what the age range was - your children might be too young. I believe Sunshine House Kindergarten also teaches some Mandarin, but how much I don't know.

There is also a variety of in-house play groups. When you arrive, ask around to see if there's a Mandarin one running at present. Look on the notice board at the DB club and in the supermarket - you may see adverts there.

If you are looking in DB, I highly recommend Victor Kwong from Kaman Properties. He found us a couple of places and distinguished himself by actually listening to our needs and trying to meet them. This was a rare quality among HK estate agents. Their website is at: http://www.kaman.com.hk/index.htm.

Best wishes

Laura

Last edited by Laura in China; Nov 23rd 2006 at 11:10 am.