Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving to Beijing - please help me if you can

Thinking about moving to Beijing - please help me if you can

Old Dec 27th 2010, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

MisterSix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about moving to Beijing - please help me if you can

Hi there. I've recently been offered a job in Beijing for 12,000RMB per month and am debating about whether to take it. The job would be a sensible career step and I have experience of working abroad so I'm not too worried about that.

However, I would like to know more about living in Beijing. So:

1- Is 12,000 a month enough to live comfortably on? I have no qualms about living with flatmates if need be and I don't require a massive home to be happy. I'm also happy to buy cheap and cheerful takeaway food or make my own rather than buy brand-name products. I also hope to keep a little away for a deposit when I move back to the UK. I can't drive so I'll need to use public transport.

2- What's the censorship like? How much of the internet is blocked off?

3- What is the expat community like? Are they fairly friendly and open? Are there many British/Irish expats there?

4- What about the local community? I'm a pretty open-minded guy and happy to make friends from all over. Will I be welcomed? I'm white - don't know if that makes a difference.

5- How easy is it to fly off on holiday? I'd quite like to explore some of South East Asia while I'm there (Thailand, Malaysia etc) - will it be difficult for me to get visas?

6- Will living in China make it impossible (or dangerous) for me to go to other countries? Do any countries refuse to accept people with Chinese visas?

7- I'd want to bring my Xbox and laptop over from the UK; will they be okay if I just buy a plug adaptor?

8- How are electronic goods priced? I'm guessing most of them are made in China anyway... can I get a decent TV for a reasonable price?

9- What would you say is the best area to live in?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about moving to Beijing - please help me if you can

Hi MisterSix,

I'm also in the process of moving out to China (Shanghai, not Beijing), so I'm not exactly best-placed to answer your questions yet! I have, however, been doing my homework on moving there, and have jotted down some thoughts below....

Originally Posted by MisterSix
Hi there. I've recently been offered a job in Beijing for 12,000RMB per month and am debating about whether to take it. The job would be a sensible career step and I have experience of working abroad so I'm not too worried about that.

However, I would like to know more about living in Beijing. So:

1- Is 12,000 a month enough to live comfortably on? I have no qualms about living with flatmates if need be and I don't require a massive home to be happy. I'm also happy to buy cheap and cheerful takeaway food or make my own rather than buy brand-name products. I also hope to keep a little away for a deposit when I move back to the UK. I can't drive so I'll need to use public transport.

Does the 12K include housing allowance? It is hardly a generous package, but I'm guessing that you're a single guy at an early career stage. You won't find yourself at the high-end of expat living (car + driver, maid (ayi) and fully furnished accom) - but if you're up for an adventure and some valuable work experience, I think you should be OK (the local Chinese survive on a lot less, although you prob don't want to live like a deeply underprivelged local).

2- What's the censorship like? How much of the internet is blocked off?
People tell me that VPN works fine in China - therefore you can overcome the censorship. I don't know exctly how much is otherwise blocked - youtube, for example, is, but apparently torrent sites aren't...

3- What is the expat community like? Are they fairly friendly and open? Are there many British/Irish expats there?
Don't know about Beijing, but Shnghai has a pretty sizeable community. A lot of Aussies, Kiwis and Yanks as well as Brits so you should be able to find plenty of other native English speakers...

4- What about the local community? I'm a pretty open-minded guy and happy to make friends from all over. Will I be welcomed? I'm white - don't know if that makes a difference.
Not sure, but on other expat sites I've found a number of local Chinese joining in the banter...

5- How easy is it to fly off on holiday? I'd quite like to explore some of South East Asia while I'm there (Thailand, Malaysia etc) - will it be difficult for me to get visas?
If you have a residence visa then it's multi-entry. No great shakes to travel therefore.

6- Will living in China make it impossible (or dangerous) for me to go to other countries? Do any countries refuse to accept people with Chinese visas?
I doubt it....

7- I'd want to bring my Xbox and laptop over from the UK; will they be okay if I just buy a plug adaptor?
China doesn't have a single standard for plugs, but an adaptor will work fine. The voltage is 220V, 50Hz so your appliances will work fine (maybe get a filtered socket to protect against surges - I don't know how stable their mains supply is). TV system is PAL so a UK X-box will work with a Chinese TV.

X-box Live is not officially available in China, but apparently you can log into other international servers and play...

8- How are electronic goods priced? I'm guessing most of them are made in China anyway... can I get a decent TV for a reasonable price?
Yes, but be careful buying. The market is awash with fakes, to the point where they might demo a pucker brand to you in the shop and sell you a cheap fake in the box. So make sure the model you try in the store is the genuine article and that the one you try is the one you buy...

9- What would you say is the best area to live in?
No idea for Beijing, my destination is Shanghai...
Good luck with the move!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:33 am
Just Joined

MisterSix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking about moving to Beijing - please help me if you can

Brilliant, thank you very much - that's very helpful!