Technology in HK

Old Sep 21st 2004, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

joshua_joshua is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Technology in HK

Hi,

Would anyone be able to give me an idea about the state of the economy in Hong Kong. Particularly regarding technology?

I am a Java developer who is likely to be moving to HK within the next 6 months, but I am unsure of my value in the HK workplace.

If anyone has any information or advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technology in HK

Originally Posted by joshua_joshua
Hi,

Would anyone be able to give me an idea about the state of the economy in Hong Kong. Particularly regarding technology?

I am a Java developer who is likely to be moving to HK within the next 6 months, but I am unsure of my value in the HK workplace.

If anyone has any information or advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Hi Joshua,

I'm originally from HK but haven't worked there for over 3 years. My younger brother's working for PCCW there and said the job market (tech or non-tech) hasn't been good for the past couple of years. Although when I read the papers recently there seems to be some improvement.

Have you had a look at the Classified Post? It's part of the South China Morning Post, a local English newspaper. Try these links:

http://www.classifiedpost.com/jsresu...zzy=y&x=10&y=5

http://www.scmp.com

There is no shortage of Java developers in HK so when you are competing with locals you might be put at disadvantage, unless you've got some international experience and other skills that may be of use to the prospective employer. Most people in IT there haven't had a pay rise for a while - hope the situation gets better in the next few months.

Best of luck,
Mrs JTL
Old Jan 12th 2005, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Hi Jack,

Can you give me an idea of a good wage in HK? Me hubbie has been offered a job over there but we have no idea about money.

International primary schools are about $75K per year, and rentals for a nice 3 bed unit about $50K per month??

That would mean you need quite a high salary to live off yeh?

Any advice on areas to live in also would be appreciated...

Queenie

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Hi Joshua,

I'm originally from HK but haven't worked there for over 3 years. My younger brother's working for PCCW there and said the job market (tech or non-tech) hasn't been good for the past couple of years. Although when I read the papers recently there seems to be some improvement.

Have you had a look at the Classified Post? It's part of the South China Morning Post, a local English newspaper. Try these links:

http://www.classifiedpost.com/jsresu...zzy=y&x=10&y=5

http://www.scmp.com

There is no shortage of Java developers in HK so when you are competing with locals you might be put at disadvantage, unless you've got some international experience and other skills that may be of use to the prospective employer. Most people in IT there haven't had a pay rise for a while - hope the situation gets better in the next few months.

Best of luck,
Mrs JTL
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by queenie
Hi Jack,

Can you give me an idea of a good wage in HK? Me hubbie has been offered a job over there but we have no idea about money.

International primary schools are about $75K per year, and rentals for a nice 3 bed unit about $50K per month??

That would mean you need quite a high salary to live off yeh?

Any advice on areas to live in also would be appreciated...

Queenie
Queenie,

It really depends on what job and what sort of package your husband is getting. Expats I know are mostly investment bankers who receive good salary ($700k and up) plus bonuses plus housing plus relocation. A 3 bed unit in the nice areas (Mid-Levels and Happy Valley on the Island) can rent from $30k (for about 1000 sqm) and up, depending on location. That doesn't include furniture or appliances.

But I also know of expats in other industries getting less paid and living in more modest areas (Western district) paying $6k per month for a 2-bedroom unit.

Yes, international schools are very expensive. Some expat families get packages for education for their children as well. It varies from company to company, and from person to person.

Where (which district) is the job your husband's been offered? Send me a PM if you have more questions. I can find out for you what you may expect.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL