Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

What do you think about Hong Kong?

Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:48 am
Just Joined

SanDizk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up What do you think about Hong Kong?

Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think about Hong Kong?

Originally Posted by SanDizk
Wondering why you ask. You're already in HK, aren't you?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Errr?

Yep! I like it!

I prefer Sai Kung myself though.

Cheers,
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:21 am
Just Joined

SanDizk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Wondering why you ask. You're already in HK, aren't you?

NC Penguin
OH! I just want to ask what the foreigner think about HKG.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:20 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What do you think about Hong Kong?

I *love* Hong Kong.....but I don't like the pollution.

Gong Xi Fa Cai!
(Happy New Year)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

I love Hong Kong too!

Fantastic place to live, with the choice of food, places to see & things to do.......just wonderful!

The sights, the smells & the noise......all very exciting!

Hong Kong is also a great place to work, with hard working collegues and a 'can do' attitude, coupled with low tax and relatively high salaries!

I've been here for 16 years and I still love the place!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:49 pm
hks
Just Joined

hks is on a distinguished road

No better city on earth! Try the shopping at Causeway Bay, the New year celebrations are ging to be awesome, particularly the CPI New Year Night Parade.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

alton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hks
No better city on earth! Try the shopping at Causeway Bay, the New year celebrations are ging to be awesome, particularly the CPI New Year Night Parade.
If you are young, no kids, then it is a very good place to be. Very convenient. But if you are old, middle age, with kids, I do not recommend this place.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: What do you think about Hong Kong?

Originally Posted by alton
If you are young, no kids, then it is a very good place to be. Very convenient. But if you are old, middle age, with kids, I do not recommend this place.

This is my first post ever but had to write as I can't disagree more!

I grew up in HK. I now live in the UK and HK wins hands down! HK is a wonderful place to live, young or middle aged, with or without kids.

There are great schools and more than enough to do for all ages - I never spent my evenings hanging around street corners as a lot of kids here do.

I consider myself lucky to have grown up in such an incredible place and only wish I still live there. (work issues).

BUT ... I agree it's not for the very old - Florida retirement it is not.
And young, middle aged, old, kids, no kids, single, married whatever I don't think its the place to be if you don't have any money.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
i was just reading your thread and was wondering if u could recommend any places to visit, things to do, places to eat in HK. i am there for 4 days en route to oz, arrive HK may 2nd-what are you must do-must eat at places to see etc.
cheers

Originally Posted by hks
Old Feb 11th 2005, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by threlly
Hi there,
i was just reading your thread and was wondering if u could recommend any places to visit, things to do, places to eat in HK. i am there for 4 days en route to oz, arrive HK may 2nd-what are you must do-must eat at places to see etc.
cheers

Sights
The Peak tram - coffee with the best view in the world. Catch a no. 15 bus back down to get an alternative view, takes you into Central. I'd recommend going day and at night - you can eat in Cafe Deco - book a table so you can get one by the window. There is a leisurely circular walk from the peak terminal - to the right of the Peak Cafe. Could take up a morning / late afternoon (staying for dark about 6.30 in May)
Star Ferry - love it!
Lamma island - you can get a ferry from central to Lamma and walk. Or a free boat from Queen's pier - next to Star Ferry in central takes you to get great Seafood at the Lamma Hilton (overlooking the sea, not very salubrious but great food.)
Causeway Bay - just wander about! Bustling in the evening. Recommend TOTT for dinner in the Excelsior hotel. Great view.
Lantau - visit the Big Buddha, get a ferry from central, then bus to the Po Lin Po Lin monastery housing the Big Buddha, or walk but it'll take a while! Great vege food.
Wong Tai Sin temple.

Shopping
Stanley market - bit pricer than other markets in HK but some things still bargains. Great food at Lucy's. Catch a no. 6 bus from central bus station - sit at the top on the right for a hair-raising trip. Half a day depending on how much you like shopping!
Tsim Sha Tsui - has the Space Museum if you have kids. Can get fake items, electronic goods etc but prices aimed at tourists. Best deals in causeway bay or Sham Shui Po.
Mongkok ladies market - take the great MTR
Temple Street night Market - walk to the end for great Chinese street opera and fortune tellers.
Jade Market and clothes shops on Fa Yuen Street - Kowloon, near Prince Edward MTR stop.

Food/drink
In addition to the above places ;
Try Felix - VERY pricey but amazing bar - the loos must be tried!
Afternoon tea - much loved. Most go to the Peninsula but I like the Mandarin Oriental and the China Tea Club (Peddar building, Peddar Street).
Drinking is pricey but definitely go to Lan Kwai Fong and SOHO - in central.
Spices in the Repulse bay hotel is good.
My fave thing is the fruit juice places - but they change all the time. As you are walking around you'll see stalls with fruit and blenders on show - just ask for the fruit you want and they juice it for you. Yum!
Dim Sum - can't think of anywhere to recommend as the 2 places I loved have closed down.

Misc
Free Tai Chi lessons by the Arts Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui - check the local free papers for times.

Blimey - that’s a lot isn't it! I love HK - can you tell?!

You will have a great time! And good luck for Aus. WE are off to Sydney (if we get in, fingers crossed!) hopefully in Sept and heading to Dee Why area. Maybe see you there!
Old Feb 14th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: What do you think about Hong Kong?

Hi Parker,
wow-what a list, very much appreciated. it all makes me so excited, its only 11 weeks till we go. i dont know how i'm going to get throught it, i am like a little kid and so restless, just want to get moving and start our new life. You are hoping to go to sydney - dee why as well, yes, u never know we may meet up one day.
thanks for the tips
cheers

Originally Posted by Parker
Sights
The Peak tram - coffee with the best view in the world. Catch a no. 15 bus back down to get an alternative view, takes you into Central. I'd recommend going day and at night - you can eat in Cafe Deco - book a table so you can get one by the window. There is a leisurely circular walk from the peak terminal - to the right of the Peak Cafe. Could take up a morning / late afternoon (staying for dark about 6.30 in May)
Star Ferry - love it!
Lamma island - you can get a ferry from central to Lamma and walk. Or a free boat from Queen's pier - next to Star Ferry in central takes you to get great Seafood at the Lamma Hilton (overlooking the sea, not very salubrious but great food.)
Causeway Bay - just wander about! Bustling in the evening. Recommend TOTT for dinner in the Excelsior hotel. Great view.
Lantau - visit the Big Buddha, get a ferry from central, then bus to the Po Lin Po Lin monastery housing the Big Buddha, or walk but it'll take a while! Great vege food.
Wong Tai Sin temple.

Shopping
Stanley market - bit pricer than other markets in HK but some things still bargains. Great food at Lucy's. Catch a no. 6 bus from central bus station - sit at the top on the right for a hair-raising trip. Half a day depending on how much you like shopping!
Tsim Sha Tsui - has the Space Museum if you have kids. Can get fake items, electronic goods etc but prices aimed at tourists. Best deals in causeway bay or Sham Shui Po.
Mongkok ladies market - take the great MTR
Temple Street night Market - walk to the end for great Chinese street opera and fortune tellers.
Jade Market and clothes shops on Fa Yuen Street - Kowloon, near Prince Edward MTR stop.

Food/drink
In addition to the above places ;
Try Felix - VERY pricey but amazing bar - the loos must be tried!
Afternoon tea - much loved. Most go to the Peninsula but I like the Mandarin Oriental and the China Tea Club (Peddar building, Peddar Street).
Drinking is pricey but definitely go to Lan Kwai Fong and SOHO - in central.
Spices in the Repulse bay hotel is good.
My fave thing is the fruit juice places - but they change all the time. As you are walking around you'll see stalls with fruit and blenders on show - just ask for the fruit you want and they juice it for you. Yum!
Dim Sum - can't think of anywhere to recommend as the 2 places I loved have closed down.

Misc
Free Tai Chi lessons by the Arts Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui - check the local free papers for times.

Blimey - that’s a lot isn't it! I love HK - can you tell?!

You will have a great time! And good luck for Aus. WE are off to Sydney (if we get in, fingers crossed!) hopefully in Sept and heading to Dee Why area. Maybe see you there!