Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Shanghai - would you recommend it?

Shanghai - would you recommend it?

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shanghai - would you recommend it?

Hey All - I'm new to the Far East Forum, but not to BE (I used to live in the UAE and was a regular in the ME forum)....

So I got a call out of the blue from my MD asking me if I'd take on a project in ShangHai.... I've never worked further East than Singers or Malaysia, but ShangHai looks OK from the Expat sites I've seen (looks easier than Kuwait, which is the worst gig I've ever done)....

Any nasty little secrets I should know about, though?

Any advice v welcome!

Cheers

Shakh
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shanghai - would you recommend it?

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Hey All - I'm new to the Far East Forum, but not to BE (I used to live in the UAE and was a regular in the ME forum)....

So I got a call out of the blue from my MD asking me if I'd take on a project in ShangHai.... I've never worked further East than Singers or Malaysia, but ShangHai looks OK from the Expat sites I've seen (looks easier than Kuwait, which is the worst gig I've ever done)....

Any advice v welcome!

Cheers

Shakh
China is a totalitarian state with one of the worst human rights records in the world, but I doubt they expose foreign businessmen to too much of that. As for Shanghai, there's lots of new money there, insane house price inflation and lots of pollution. But lots of money to be made.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:31 am
Just Joined

alext155 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any advice v welcome!

Cheers

Shakh
Loving it so far!

Shanghai's not recommended, however, if you don't like being surrounded by lots of people...
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point

Shanghai is fab!!!! Im already planning my return and cant wait!!
Theres so much to do and everyday you see something new and odd!
Depending on how "expatty" (sorry I just made that up) you are- to be honest it's totally best not to live in the expat areas- go to the small traditional bits where there arent many foreigners. Will be cheaper for you and way more interesting to mix with the locals. You should definitely learn Chinese too. It's a shame as many people don't even bother to learn and don't even use chopsticks- at the end of the day it's a matter of respect.
Sure they don't really have much on the way of human rights etc, but then in the UK kids are running around stabbing each other whilst both parents are working 12 hour days- in my mom's village a load of kids got drunk and killed a horse for fun. At least in China if they did that, it would be for something useful, not for fun... everywhere is different and every country has good and bad. If you really want to be somewhere, you have to take the bad with the good.
Now I live in Spain which is nice and everything and I like it, but for me it's totally dull in comparison! It's true its difficult to get peace and quiet there but China is huge and it's easy to travel around with some nice places to visit nearby too if you want to get out of the city.
Enjoy it!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

OK - sounds like an easier gig than the UAE, anyway.... Are there many posters on here who actually live there? Do you have meet-ups and stuff? How easy is it to meet other expats (not that I don't wanna make friends with the locals, too, but sometimes it's nice to talk about marmite and damp squibs with people who know where you're coming from...)
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point

There are foreigners all over the place. You can go to any bar... Windows isn't bad but Im not sure if it's open as it was closed just before I left, but there were a couple of Windows' bars. There are loads of places. I'm sure at your work people will take you under their wing!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

OK - sounds like an easier gig than the UAE, anyway.... Are there many posters on here who actually live there? Do you have meet-ups and stuff? How easy is it to meet other expats (not that I don't wanna make friends with the locals, too, but sometimes it's nice to talk about marmite and damp squibs with people who know where you're coming from...)
Most cities with a decent number of expats have regularly get togethers - usually in a coffee shop or bar. The expat site should give you this info.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Shanghai - would you recommend it?

Shakh, it sounds like you need a little help here. Agree with Fleurette in what she says, if you get an offer to go to Shanghai, go go go!
I lived there for 2 years, and left just one year ago. I truly hated it at first, it was Winter, 8c, and I'd just come from SE Asia, 36c, a shock to the bones. Fortunately I made friends quickly through contacts, and there is a HUGE number of foreigners there. I believe, mostly American's first, then French, then Brits, etc etc.

Shanghai is a very sophisticated city, I've travelled back 3 times since I left and every time I see something change. If they want to get something done, they do it and complete it. No messing around, work until mid-night, but it's done quickly.

There is a few excellent magazines, both online and free in the cafes (which are everywhere), the main one is 'That's Shanghai' which tells you everything that's going on everywhere. Very useful since some places, like night clubs, cannot be seen from the outside if they're in one of the old colonial buildings (protecting the outside image), so the magazine is perfect to work out where to go.

Transport - There's a massive network of metro lines, which I think has reached 13 now, and there is about 20 planned by 2020. Taxi's start from 13rmb when you get in but the metre doesn't move for quite a while, so nice and cheap to get to your bars like Spot, Big Bamboo, Malone's etc which are all just near Jing An area.

Living - I lived in Jing An, considered one of the nicest areas in the city, and perfect for foreigners for the location on Line 2 subway, and close to bars, the French Concession area etc etc, all nice! One tip, find out where your office is and which metro line it's on. Try to avoid living somewhere that would make you change lines at People's Square, as that's a bit of a nightmare.

You won't need a car, unless you're a big director and they provide a car and driver for you, although our MD doesn't bother with one. Train systems even outside of the city are fantastic, very modern and very efficient.

The streets are clean, people working 12 hours a day on each street sweeping up, hosing down, etc etc.

The Winter is pretty hard, but lasts about 3-4 months, December to March, February being the most chilling! After that, Spring and Autumn is beautiful, Summer can get up to 40c in August, but generally it doesn't rain that much in Shanghai.

On the downside, there is a lot of construction in the city. This creates dust, whilst although you can't usually see it, you will find it on your balcony at the end of the week along with the carbon from the power stations. However, skies are a lot more blue than they used to be a few years ago, and Summer is very pleasant indeed.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Hope this helps.

best regards, MP.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Shakh, it sounds like you need a little help here. Agree with Fleurette in what she says, if you get an offer to go to Shanghai, go go go!
I lived there for 2 years, and left just one year ago. I truly hated it at first, it was Winter, 8c, and I'd just come from SE Asia, 36c, a shock to the bones. Fortunately I made friends quickly through contacts, and there is a HUGE number of foreigners there. I believe, mostly American's first, then French, then Brits, etc etc.

Shanghai is a very sophisticated city, I've travelled back 3 times since I left and every time I see something change. If they want to get something done, they do it and complete it. No messing around, work until mid-night, but it's done quickly.

There is a few excellent magazines, both online and free in the cafes (which are everywhere), the main one is 'That's Shanghai' which tells you everything that's going on everywhere. Very useful since some places, like night clubs, cannot be seen from the outside if they're in one of the old colonial buildings (protecting the outside image), so the magazine is perfect to work out where to go.

Transport - There's a massive network of metro lines, which I think has reached 13 now, and there is about 20 planned by 2020. Taxi's start from 13rmb when you get in but the metre doesn't move for quite a while, so nice and cheap to get to your bars like Spot, Big Bamboo, Malone's etc which are all just near Jing An area.

Living - I lived in Jing An, considered one of the nicest areas in the city, and perfect for foreigners for the location on Line 2 subway, and close to bars, the French Concession area etc etc, all nice! One tip, find out where your office is and which metro line it's on. Try to avoid living somewhere that would make you change lines at People's Square, as that's a bit of a nightmare.

You won't need a car, unless you're a big director and they provide a car and driver for you, although our MD doesn't bother with one. Train systems even outside of the city are fantastic, very modern and very efficient.

The streets are clean, people working 12 hours a day on each street sweeping up, hosing down, etc etc.

The Winter is pretty hard, but lasts about 3-4 months, December to March, February being the most chilling! After that, Spring and Autumn is beautiful, Summer can get up to 40c in August, but generally it doesn't rain that much in Shanghai.

On the downside, there is a lot of construction in the city. This creates dust, whilst although you can't usually see it, you will find it on your balcony at the end of the week along with the carbon from the power stations. However, skies are a lot more blue than they used to be a few years ago, and Summer is very pleasant indeed.

best regards, MP.
Thanks, Monster - for taking the time to compose such a considered response. I should know within 2 weeks whether my proposed venture in Shanghai will come off or not. I'll be sure to chase down the generous tips that you've cast my way.

I thank thee, sire!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

annieslp is an unknown quantity at this point

did you ever get there?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 11:03 am
Just Joined

canard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MonsterP

best regards, MP.
Really useful detailed response. As someone also considering the offer of an ex-pat role in Shanghai I may be returning to see if anyone else offers some advice.

I'm in a bit of a dilema having been offered a post in either shanghai or moscow. Russia offers the best work prospects on our return (because of the size of the challenge there and the people I'm reporting in to), but Shanghai looks more appealing for our family and China is probably a great thing to have on the CV too given its emerging global importance. Decisions, decisions.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:03 am
Just Joined

annieslp is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it difficult to get a business visa?....

my son has been advised to get a tourist visa by his modelling agent..and having spent the last 5 years as Brits in the States finally getting really close to Green Card I am NOT happy with anyone working on a tourist visa.

The modelling agency has not guaranteed him any work and say that their international models use the tourist visa ???? I don't want him to break the law especially in China!

Any replies gratefully received.

Annie
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:15 am
Just Joined

canard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant futurecanard78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by annieslp
Is it difficult to get a business visa?....

my son has been advised to get a tourist visa by his modelling agent..and having spent the last 5 years as Brits in the States finally getting really close to Green Card I am NOT happy with anyone working on a tourist visa.

The modelling agency has not guaranteed him any work and say that their international models use the tourist visa ???? I don't want him to break the law especially in China!

Any replies gratefully received.

Annie
Yikes, I'm no lawyer, but that sounds very scary. Is it really worth the risk?