Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

doakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nice
Default Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Hi,

As most people have dreaded the 1st week back at work in Blighty I havent, as been told I`m off to Hong Kong on a work assignment for 2 years.

Anyone know anything about getting medical cover sorted out before you go including getting my family covered. Had a quick look on some insurers websites and looks like a minefield out there..... noticed that bupa have a product called worldwide health options which covers certain pre existing conditions but they dont say what they are whereas other insurers apply moritoriums.

Help!!!!!

Any info much appreciated to a newbie!

doakmeister

Ta
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to BE.

I've moved your post out of The Lounge and into our Hong Kong forum. Congratulations on the job transfer...hopefully someone will be around soon to answer your questions.

To help guide you around the forums we have a team of concierges...the concierge for the Far East Forums is bakedbean...she will be pleased to help you find your way around the site.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a moderator. We do not have a dedicated mod for the FE forums...therefore if you need assistance please contact a mod from this list....the moderators' names are printed in bold print.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

It is usual/normal for the company you work for to arrange Medical cover/Health insurance for both you and your family.
If they don't I would definitely check out the full package they are offering you as it may be a bit iffy.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
It is usual/normal for the company you work for to arrange Medical cover/Health insurance for both you and your family.
If they don't I would definitely check out the full package they are offering you as it may be a bit iffy.
Ditto on the above - I'm in a similar position (work assignment in Shanghai on the horizon). Private healthcare is included in the package I've been offered.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

doakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nicedoakmeister is just really nice

Hi

my problem is my company isnt very big - there is only 5 of us so I`ve to do all the donkey work and they`ll give me some money towards the costs.

I`ve got minor medical issues like hayfever, acne etc and my wife has high blood pressure and on the bupa insurance website it says it covers certain exisiting conditions but doesnt tell you what they are and wondered if anyone had experienced a similar thing and if they found out what they covered.

anyhow I`m still smiling at the thought of HK very soon.....
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

There are many doctors groups set up in HK, quite a few with all european doctors, not that the local doctors aren't good.
I think you can quite easily go along to one of these groups and register with them.

When I worked there my company scheme didn't cover dentistry so I bought a policy from a dental practice which covered me for all except maybe bridges .
Not expensive either.

You can also buy policies from someone like BUPA which allows you to be evacuated to UK if serious injury or whatever.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say hello and welcome, but cannot add anything else to what others have put. I've only spent a few days in Hong Kong so not very knowledgeable on the subject I'm afraid.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex reg
There are many doctors groups set up in HK, quite a few with all european doctors, not that the local doctors aren't good.
I think you can quite easily go along to one of these groups and register with them.

When I worked there my company scheme didn't cover dentistry so I bought a policy from a dental practice which covered me for all except maybe bridges .
Not expensive either.

You can also buy policies from someone like BUPA which allows you to be evacuated to UK if serious injury or whatever.
Just to add we were registered with Anderson and Partners.
I'm sure you could google them.

We found them very good.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Great I`ll try Anderson company, cheers for everyones thoughts
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by doakmeister
Hi,

As most people have dreaded the 1st week back at work in Blighty I havent, as been told I`m off to Hong Kong on a work assignment for 2 years.

Help!!!!!

Any info much appreciated to a newbie!

doakmeister

Ta
Hi Doak,

Great chance to see some excellent places.
I am in China, and have been here for yonks.
Now, do you need an assistant, a side kick ?

He he he ,

'vette
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

HK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure what kind of healthcare you want, if you want routine meds or for sporadic illnesses and emergencies etc but the public health care system here is fine and free for those with HKID cards.

You can just go into a GPs and pay for the consultation and medicines (without appointment), they like to over medicate here and never met one that doesn't speak English although some are better than others.