British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   China/Hong Kong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/)
-   -   Re: What made you smile today? Part III (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/re-what-made-you-smile-today-part-iii-700061/)

doakmeister Jan 10th 2011 9:25 pm

Re: What made you smile today? Part III

Hi,

As most people have dreaded the 1st week back at work in Blighty I havent, as been told I`m off to Hong Kong on a work assignment for 2 years.

Anyone know anything about getting medical cover sorted out before you go including getting my family covered. Had a quick look on some insurers websites and looks like a minefield out there..... noticed that bupa have a product called worldwide health options which covers certain pre existing conditions but they dont say what they are whereas other insurers apply moritoriums.

Help!!!!!

Any info much appreciated to a newbie!

doakmeister

Ta

Jerseygirl Jan 10th 2011 9:54 pm

Hi there and welcome to BE.

I've moved your post out of The Lounge and into our Hong Kong forum. Congratulations on the job transfer...hopefully someone will be around soon to answer your questions.

To help guide you around the forums we have a team of concierges...the concierge for the Far East Forums is bakedbean...she will be pleased to help you find your way around the site.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a moderator. We do not have a dedicated mod for the FE forums...therefore if you need assistance please contact a mod from this list....the moderators' names are printed in bold print.

Please give me a shout if you need any help. :)

ex reg Jan 11th 2011 2:38 am

It is usual/normal for the company you work for to arrange Medical cover/Health insurance for both you and your family.
If they don't I would definitely check out the full package they are offering you as it may be a bit iffy.

shakh your bootie Jan 11th 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 9092317)
It is usual/normal for the company you work for to arrange Medical cover/Health insurance for both you and your family.
If they don't I would definitely check out the full package they are offering you as it may be a bit iffy.

Ditto on the above - I'm in a similar position (work assignment in Shanghai on the horizon). Private healthcare is included in the package I've been offered.

doakmeister Jan 11th 2011 8:16 pm

Hi

my problem is my company isnt very big - there is only 5 of us so I`ve to do all the donkey work and they`ll give me some money towards the costs.

I`ve got minor medical issues like hayfever, acne etc and my wife has high blood pressure and on the bupa insurance website it says it covers certain exisiting conditions but doesnt tell you what they are and wondered if anyone had experienced a similar thing and if they found out what they covered.

anyhow I`m still smiling at the thought of HK very soon.....

ex reg Jan 11th 2011 11:27 pm

There are many doctors groups set up in HK, quite a few with all european doctors, not that the local doctors aren't good.
I think you can quite easily go along to one of these groups and register with them.

When I worked there my company scheme didn't cover dentistry so I bought a policy from a dental practice which covered me for all except maybe bridges .
Not expensive either.

You can also buy policies from someone like BUPA which allows you to be evacuated to UK if serious injury or whatever.

bakedbean Jan 12th 2011 1:55 am

Just to say hello and welcome, but cannot add anything else to what others have put. I've only spent a few days in Hong Kong so not very knowledgeable on the subject I'm afraid.

ex reg Jan 12th 2011 3:04 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 9094572)
There are many doctors groups set up in HK, quite a few with all european doctors, not that the local doctors aren't good.
I think you can quite easily go along to one of these groups and register with them.

When I worked there my company scheme didn't cover dentistry so I bought a policy from a dental practice which covered me for all except maybe bridges .
Not expensive either.

You can also buy policies from someone like BUPA which allows you to be evacuated to UK if serious injury or whatever.

Just to add we were registered with Anderson and Partners.
I'm sure you could google them.

We found them very good.

doakmeister Jan 12th 2011 7:11 pm

Great I`ll try Anderson company, cheers for everyones thoughts

uk_vette Jan 18th 2011 9:59 am

Originally Posted by doakmeister (Post 9091850)
Hi,

As most people have dreaded the 1st week back at work in Blighty I havent, as been told I`m off to Hong Kong on a work assignment for 2 years.

Help!!!!!

Any info much appreciated to a newbie!

doakmeister

Ta

Hi Doak,

Great chance to see some excellent places.:D
I am in China, and have been here for yonks.:thumbsup:
Now, do you need an assistant, a side kick ?:fingerscrossed:

He he he ,

'vette

HK2UK Jan 30th 2011 4:45 pm

I'm not sure what kind of healthcare you want, if you want routine meds or for sporadic illnesses and emergencies etc but the public health care system here is fine and free for those with HKID cards.

You can just go into a GPs and pay for the consultation and medicines (without appointment), they like to over medicate here :thumbdown: and never met one that doesn't speak English although some are better than others.