New territories HK?

Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default New territories HK?

What are they like? Schools? Stuff to do? I am from the Uk but live in Sydney....not any idea what to expect but HK might be a possibility. I know someone who lives in Tai Po and they like it....what are the general prices and any other info you could give....

Schools? Aussie school? Or UK?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of
Default Re: New territories HK?

Originally Posted by plantpot
What are they like? Schools? Stuff to do? I am from the Uk but live in Sydney....not any idea what to expect but HK might be a possibility. I know someone who lives in Tai Po and they like it....what are the general prices and any other info you could give....

The New Territories cover a large part of HK outside the main city areas on Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. Some parts are still relatively rural while other parts have been developed - Tai Po is a new town with the same high-rises that you find all over HK. It's difficult to generalise about the NT - many different places to live, some nice areas for hiking, beautiful country parks, fishing ponds, traditional villages to explore. I think most of the better English language schools are in the urban areas (HK Island/Kowloon) so traveling can be a burden. Housing prices are generally significantly lower in the NT but if you work in the city then you need to factor in transport costs. Plenty of good restaurants. NT people are generally very friendly - many have strong UK links as family members emigrated there in the 50s,60s and 70s. NT people are usually quite different from their counterparts in the city: different culture, speak different dialects, more traditional but very interesting.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with schools info, but Fo Tan high above Sha Tin is great.

Some of the houses along Tai Mong Tsai road north of Sai Kung are great and Silver Strand has some really great houses.

For me the NT are so much better than HK Island but each to his own.

Your final choice will depend on so many things and what I find important may mean nothing to you.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

The New Territories are less crowded than Kowloon and Hong Kong Island, but there's just relative. Anyone from Australia going there will still find the residential areas very built-up. Most people in NT live in apartments though there are villas in some areas popular with the expats and dog-owner communities. Anywhere near the train stations will be full of tall apartment blocks.

International schools in HK are very expensive (think HKD100k+ per year)and even if you had the money there are still long waiting lists for the popular ones, for 2 main reasons:

1/ many locals and their kids have dual citizenships, giving them same entrance priority as the expats at the international schools;

2/ there are more and more European expats moving there to take advantage of the economic growth in China while the Euro-zoned nations are sorting out the debts.

There's plenty to do in HK, depending on what you like. Hiking is one of my favourite things to do as there are lots of easy trails, great for families.

Prices of properties are crazy these couple of years. To buy in Taipo, you'll be looking at HKD5milion+ for a small apartment near transport. Double that you'll have something comfortable for someone who's not used to living in HK. Renting, you'll be looking at HKD10k+/month for a tiny apartment, and at least HKD20k/month for a decent one.

The waiting list for the Australian Int'l School was very long last year. A mother from my daughters' school was thinking of moving there but she wouldn't move unless she could get both her primary-school-aged kids confirmed places. Other local friends I'm in touch with have all been complaining about the stress of getting a place at the HKIS, CIS, or the American International Schools in the past few years.

There are a couple of good international schools in Taipo/Shatin/Fotan area, but if I remember right, they are primary schools. How old is/are your kid(s)?

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

What you have to bear in mind is that Hong Kong is a relatively small place. It is only an hours drive from east to west or north to south.

The public transport system here is second to none. Even from the new territories there is an extensive bus network that will get you quickly and cheaply to the MTR (underground mass transit railway system). If you drive then its obviously even quicker but parking is expensive and so is fuel - HK$17+ per litre.

There are all sorts of schools here from local to various international, including an Australian school and there are a number of ESF schools (English Schools Foundation - using the UK curriculum). There is also an extensive network of school buses to ferry the kids to various parts of Hong Kong so that would not be an issue. What IS an issue, as said by others, is that there are long waiting lists for most schools, even kindergartens, and they are expensive, 100,000+ per year !!

I have lived in the New Territories with my family for many years and we love it. Bear in mind that the NT covers a large area, the east, north and west of Hong Kong. Some areas are better than others in terms of amenities and transport / road network. Depending where you are in the NT you can expect to pay anything from HK$5,000 per month for a 700 square foot apartment, either in a medium to high rise apartment block or as a single floor in a 3 storey village house, right up to HK$80,000+ for a 2,100+ square foot village house with garden etc.

There is plently to do in Hong Kong from sports clubs, watersports, hiking, restaurants, bars, theatre etc. Boat trips to outlying islands, lots of shopping either in local markets or state of the art malls.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

gumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nice

Sounds attractive. May I ask which part of NT (or which apartment) is UK$5000 for a 700 square feet flat?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gumtree
Sounds attractive. May I ask which part of NT (or which apartment) is UK$5000 for a 700 square feet flat?
Presume you mean HK$5,000. Well I don't have specifics. I am not an agent. I am giving a general range. If you look at estate agents brochures on-line you can find. I would suggest that at that level the place would not be up to much ! You may even find something cheaper in the local chinese market.