Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

A New Frontier, The Future Unravels

A New Frontier, The Future Unravels

Old Jul 24th 2014, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

danyalfryer is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb A New Frontier, The Future Unravels

Hello, hopefully the title was mysterious and intriguing enough to attract you here.

I wanted to make this thread, being an absolute newbie myself, to talk with fellow like minded individuals, duo's and groups who have taken the step towards and into the amazing land that is China.

Just a little bit of information about myself.

I am about to make the move into China in just above a months time.
I have been hired by a University in Tiayuan in Shanxi province (Northern China).
I am greatly interested by the culture, it's mythology, folklore, language and the people and it's great history. I am eager to learn and see things I never thought my eyes would see (or plan to).

So, if you are new, experienced or even a fully fluent veteran then stop by, say hello and sharing any tips or experiences would be helpful, amazingly interesting and above all else - greatly appreciated.

*fingers crossed for successful thread and discussions*
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:16 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A New Frontier, The Future Unravels

Hello. Just to say Welcome to the forum

I'm afraid I cannot join in with the discussion as I'm down t'other end of Asia and have never visited mainland China. I'm sure it will be an amazing adventure for you.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - very much appreciated.

I see on your profile it says Penang? Is that where you are currently or?

I cannot wait - I know of certain issues I may be shocked with - mainland China sparse Western toilets and things of that nature - but that is indeed part of the adventure.
Getting vaccinated tomorrow and then will start the process of obtaining all the necessaries in the next couple of weeks.

Is there any particular tips or anything you would advise (Asia in general if not specific)?

Thanks again! Cannot wait!!!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I live in Penang.

Cannot give any tips as I've not been there. Hopefully some China residents will be along to help you out. All countries are different.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

No problem - regardless, thank you for the kind words and I just cannot stop being excited... it's wearing me out :P
Old Jul 28th 2014, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danyalfryer
No problem - regardless, thank you for the kind words and I just cannot stop being excited... it's wearing me out :P
Don't expect too many replies. This is quite a sleepy forum.
I would just say don't get too excited or you might be disappointed when you get there.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

I think it is a mix of excitement and nervousness to be fairly honest
I try not to get disappointed at things - life is far too short.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danyalfryer
I think it is a mix of excitement and nervousness to be fairly honest
I try not to get disappointed at things - life is far too short.
I am sure you will have an exciting and rewarding time. China is a fascinating country. It cant be long until you go now ?