Banking in Hong Kong

Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

adamskix is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Banking in Hong Kong

Hi all.

I am moving out from the UK in August and have questions regarding bank accounts.

Should I retain my UK bank account and open another in HK?

Which are the banks that cater best for expats? Have lowest international transfer rates/dual currency accounts?

Any help appreciated
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking in Hong Kong

Yes open a bank account in Hong Kong and retain your UK one.
They are all much of a muchness when it comes to exchange rates and charges
I would suggest HSBC.... do you know what HSBC stands for ?

Last edited by hong_konger; Jul 7th 2014 at 2:40 am.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:14 pm
Banned

AaronAdair is an unknown quantity at this point

HK is the bit expensive city so in my point of view, you must check the charges and taxes of HongKong to avoid any disturbance there.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AaronAdair
HK is the bit expensive city so in my point of view, you must check the charges and taxes of HongKong to avoid any disturbance there.
There are no taxes on banking transactions in Hong Kong and the charges are on a par with anywhere else in the world.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:56 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Keep a UK account even if it just has a few pounds in it. Can be a devil of a time to reopen if you are not resident, and it is helpful for when you move back or if you have a few transactions (Amazon, Ebay.uk) back home.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

adamskix is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. I will keep my account open and transfer my salary in HKD into GBP as and when necessary. I may use a company like Travelex to do this. Any thoughts on this?
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamskix
Thanks for the advice. I will keep my account open and transfer my salary in HKD into GBP as and when necessary. I may use a company like Travelex to do this. Any thoughts on this?
Why use Travelex - poor exchange rates and inconvenient ? When you open a bank account in Hong Kong you will have multi-currency accounts. You can just use on-line banking to convert from HK$ to GBP within your bank account. If and when you want to transfer to UK then just transfer from your HK GBP account to your UK GBP account. I understand (but am not certain) that if you have a HSBC account in UK and Hong Kong that you transfer GPB to your UK account without any charges.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:23 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Travelex is pretty poor. I use HSBC bank-to-bank functions and get a pretty good rate with no fees (but I do have a Premier account). The rate is even better than the 3d party Forex services like xe.com.