Hong Kong Work

Old May 13th 2014, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

LeeVK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hong Kong Work

Hi there,

I recently posted about the fact that myself and my girlfriend will be arriving in Hong Kong in the near future. I will be using a one year working visa, which will allow me to work for a company for a maximum of three months. Does anybody have any idea of what kind of employment this will enable me to get.

I have worked as a tour guide, English teacher, wakeboard instructor, kayak guide, divemaster, and hostel manager - however, I do not have a degree. I will be looking for a company to sponsor me eventually, but am aware that it will be difficult without any formal qualifications.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated - thank you!
Old May 13th 2014, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong Work

You will likely be able to find casual work as an English teacher in a kindergarten. Pay wont be brilliant and it will be hourly for just a few hrs a day. You may also find work at one of the many water sport centres which are scattered all over Hong Kong. Failing that you would probably find work as a barman.

As to a full work permit and company sponsor, the general criteria is that your sponsor will be required to demonstrate that there are no Hong Kong Permanent residents available to do the job in question. That usually means that you have high qualifications and/or unusual and exceptional skills for the job in question. Based on your post you may be able to satisfy the criteria with your water sports instruction experience although I would have thought that speaking Cantonese would be a must as most of the participants are locals.

Good luck.
Old May 14th 2014, 1:51 am
Just Joined

LeeVK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for taking the time to reply! it would seem I had best start brushing up on my Cantonese...
Old May 29th 2014, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Sapna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lee

China and Hong Kong aren't quite as strict on formal qualifications as people believe, I've worked in Shanghai and keep considering moving to Hong Kong as anytime I've been there I love it. Plenty of people I've met there teach with no degree. I think you'll be able to get work as a teacher, providing you can prove you can do a lesson.

Obviously Cantonese would be helpful though most people in Hong Kong are fluent in English, young or old. Still I know a guy that teaches adventure sports to children all year round, kayaking and climbing etc. in a camp America style place, he loves it and doesn't speak Cantonese. So your sports qualifications should open up more possibilities.
Old May 29th 2014, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sapna
Hi lee

Obviously Cantonese would be helpful though most people in Hong Kong are fluent in English, young or old. .
Definitely not my experience.
Old May 31st 2014, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

gumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nice

More and more children are studying in International Schools so no problem with not speaking Cantonese in Hong Kong.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sapna
Hi lee

China and Hong Kong aren't quite as strict on formal qualifications as people believe, I've worked in Shanghai and keep considering moving to Hong Kong as anytime I've been there I love it. Plenty of people I've met there teach with no degree. I think you'll be able to get work as a teacher, providing you can prove you can do a lesson.

Obviously Cantonese would be helpful though most people in Hong Kong are fluent in English, young or old. Still I know a guy that teaches adventure sports to children all year round, kayaking and climbing etc. in a camp America style place, he loves it and doesn't speak Cantonese. So your sports qualifications should open up more possibilities.
The requirements in Shanghai and Hong Kong are not the same. In Hong Kong you are competing against highly qualified locals. Regarding teaching English, there is definitely a preference for native English speakers but to teach in a school in Hong Kong you must be Registered with the Education Bureau. See the following link for requirements :

There are many non-qualified people teaching English p/t in kindergartens etc. (glorified nanny really), but I think you will find that these are permanent residents. You would not be able to secure a work permit for such a position.

http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/teacher/qua...-registration/

I would disagree that most people young or old are fluent in English. There are many people young and old in Hong Kong who do not speak English.

Last edited by hong_konger; Jun 3rd 2014 at 1:05 am.