Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Trading my own funds in the stock market -> taxation in HK?

Trading my own funds in the stock market -> taxation in HK?

Old May 29th 2014, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

e-migrator is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Trading my own funds in the stock market -> taxation in HK?

Hello to all,

I am planning to move to a place with a warmer climate, weather- and tax-wise One of my favourites is HK. I am not and am not planning to be gainfully employed. What I am doing is trading on the US (not HK) stock market to obtain capital gains. Now one of the major criteria for choosing my destination where I would be fiscally resident is of course the taxation of these gains. The information I have about HK is contradictory:
      I would not incorporate, but trade in my own name, and only my own funds. However, there may be a dozen transactions a day, and all of them similar in nature. Would the IRD deem my trading to be a profession, trade or business and subject my gains to profits tax?

Many thanks in advance!
      Old May 31st 2014, 2:04 am
      Forum Regular

gumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nice
      Default Re: Trading my own funds in the stock market -> taxation in HK?

Don't think you need to pay any CGT in Hong Kong. Dozen transactions a day is not that frequent. Consideration will also be given to transaction amount.
      Old May 31st 2014, 9:19 am
      Forum Regular

Post Re: Trading my own funds in the stock market -> taxation in HK?

Hm, kind of a twilight zone then I will probably be safer in a true "tax haven".
      Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:16 am
      BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
      Default Re: Trading my own funds in the stock market -> taxation in HK?

How do you intend to gain the right to stay / live in Hong Kong ? Will you stay on a tourist visa ? If your only form of income is through such trading then you are almost certainly going to be considered to be operating as a business.

If you are then you will be subject to income tax. You may also be prosecuted for carrying out a business without registering it in compliance with the Companies Ordinance and also for working illegally (without a work permit) under the Immigration Ordinance.

Last edited by hong_konger; Jun 3rd 2014 at 1:39 am.
      Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:27 am
      Forum Regular

Post Re: Trading my own funds in the stock market -> taxation in HK?

Good point. I was actually thinking of the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme. I never thought of investing my own funds as a business. I mean, I do no advertising, I do not trade in the name of a company (but in my own), I have no clients, I do not invest other people's monies. But I understand that the IRD may take a different stance