Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Expat living in China: Self Assesment Tax Question

Expat living in China: Self Assesment Tax Question

Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of
Default Re: Expat living in China: Self Assesment Tax Question

We did begin doing the self assessment whilst in the UK, then came over to the Philippines. Continued for about a year then informed everyone in Gov departments that we were resident in the Philippines. We have correspondence with HM Revenue & Customs to our present home here.
The Website we use is www.gateway.gov.uk and then we sign in with an enormous long reference number. I do not need to complete my form any longer and do it for my wife on the flat income.
There have been no problems at all, oh yes at one stage we got demands for completing a tax form but after explaining that it was done on line with nothing to pay, all went okay. We use our Philippine address on the website forms. The flat we let out through agents was our previous home address before leaving the UK.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

ellyka112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expat living in China: Self Assesment Tax Question

Originally Posted by shexpat
Thanks a lot for your reply, I'm a bit worried I didn't tell the revenue before I left, do you think I should just submit the form they sent me online and put 0 income, adding that I wasn't living in UK? Problem is one of the first questions they ask on the online form is whether I was resident in UK for that tax year, if I check box that then I can't submit the rest of the form.
Are they going to give me a fine or anything if I tell them now that I wasn't in UK and that I forgot to register this fact with them? I know I should have told them before but it's too late now.
Thanks again for your help.
It's not serious to not tell them, though they will know you have not been paying tax and wondering why.

Just tell them you want an NT code and the date you left UK. See what they say.