China viral....

Old Dec 21st 2010, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default China viral....

Hello All,

I posted on here a few weeks ago looking for fellow expats in Shanghai. Thanks to all those that did reply - but it did strike me that BE's Far East Forum is not as well frequented as some others (I posted a lot, err actually I still do, one the Middle East Forum when I lived in the UAE).

My project in China is now confirmed, and I'm interested in seeing how many other people on here are based out there.

It would be kinda cool to build up the BE China network, and get to helping each other out. The Middle East section is brilliant at this - I can't count the amount of thank-yous I owe to the folk there, or the entertaining people I met with there.

With the number of Brits in China growing, I'd like to think that we could build a similarly active, fun and helpful entity here...

Anyone up for it?

Cheers - oh and Merry X-mas/Happy Hols etc

SYB
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice
Default Re: China viral....

This forum is more slanted towards people who are intending on changing location, whether for a short trip or starting a new life. Questions tend to be directed at finding out what to expect when they arrive.

For every day matters, I use local expat forums in Dalian and Tianjin and find them very useful. People visiting this site could not answer such a variety of specific questions.

The Shanghai expat forum (a link to which I posted on a similar thread recently) is your best bet for networking and finding more people in the same situation and location as you.

You can register and then post your questions, find out what events/meetings are planned etc.

Season's Greetings and wishing everyone a happy and safe 2011.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrh
This forum is more slanted towards people who are intending on changing location, whether for a short trip or starting a new life. Questions tend to be directed at finding out what to expect when they arrive.

For every day matters, I use local expat forums in Dalian and Tianjin and find them very useful. People visiting this site could not answer such a variety of specific questions.

The Shanghai expat forum (a link to which I posted on a similar thread recently) is your best bet for networking and finding more people in the same situation and location as you.

You can register and then post your questions, find out what events/meetings are planned etc.

Season's Greetings and wishing everyone a happy and safe 2011.
Thanks, mate - and also for the link. I've been posting on SHEXpat for a few weeks now(thanks to your kind link & advice), and have lined up some drinkie-poos with the guys on there. The thing about the other sites is that they're not dedicated to Brits abroad - which is no bad thing, I haven't a problem with that - but I think that this site does offer a valuable support to those of that have left the Sceptered Isle but still enjoy a natter about the delights of marmite and arrows of desire when being away gets a little too much... The other sites you mention are delightful, but one inevitably finds oneself chatting with yanks and the like, which takes always not the biscuit that one desires to masticate.

What I'm suggesting is that British expats based in China might like a place to establish their own online community... Like I said earlier - works a treat for other far-flung corners in which one hoists a union jack...the Middle East site takes all comers regardless of their origin, but remains as British as our odd poly-cultural national ethos allows (not being a whitey, blue blooded Brit myself, this fine distinction is not lost upon me).

No disrespect intended to the other sites - the members on there have been hugely helpful.

Last edited by shakh your bootie; Dec 22nd 2010 at 4:22 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 4:21 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You might get a better response if you changed your avatar to someone more friendly looking.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
You might get a better response if you changed your avatar to someone more friendly looking.
LOL, LH - you may have a point. Perhaps I should switch back to the Miles Davis avatar instead of William S Burroughs....

Now, get back to the Sandpit where ye belong, old friend.

Oh, and a merry X-mas to you & yours.