British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Central, South America & Mexico (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/)
-   -   Should Britain give the Falkland Islands to Argentina (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/should-britain-give-falkland-islands-argentina-822856/)

scot47 Jun 7th 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Should Britain give the Falkland Islands to Argentina

Interesting to compare how the Colonial Office (now FCO) has dealt with Diego Garcia and with the Falklands/Malvinas.

Pulaski Jun 7th 2015 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11668556)
Interesting to compare how the Colonial Office (now FCO) has dealt with Diego Garcia and with the Falklands/Malvinas.

One is a speck of land, in a strategically important location, with just enough room to build an airbase, the other is at the far end of the earth, close to nowhere of any importance, with more land than they know what to do with, other than graze sheep on it. Why would anyone expect the same policies be applied to both locations? :confused:

And yes, I do know what happened to the population of Diego Garcia.

scot47 Jun 7th 2015 4:34 pm

In Diego Garcia the Colonial Office had no hesitation in deporting the population. Mind you that was to ingratiate themselves with Uncle Sam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia

Gordon Barlow Jun 7th 2015 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11668670)
In Diego Garcia the Colonial Office had no hesitation in deporting the population. Mind you that was to ingratiate themselves with Uncle Sam.
Diego Garcia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has been something of a human-rights cause celebre for decades. Such a blatant ethnic-cleansing exercise - incidentally - continues to inhibit British Cabinets from criticising certain other blatant ethnic-cleansings in selected parts of the world. As Scot47 said, the only purpose was to suck up to Uncle Sam. Sad but true,Pulaski.

Pulaski Jun 7th 2015 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11668708)
It has been something of a human-rights cause celebre for decades. Such a blatant ethnic-cleansing exercise - .....

It wasn't really "ethnic cleansing" as occured all too recently in the former Yugoslavia, and appears to be ongoing in parts of Africa, but was more of an "eminent domain" issue of seizing 23 sq miles of land for a military air base and naval support facility. It just happened to be an entire island/ archipelago that was seized. ..... I agree still unpleasant for those relocated, but not at all the same as people killing off their neighbours with tacit support of their government to make way for more people of the same ethnicity.

Gordon Barlow Jun 7th 2015 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11668718)
It wasn't really "ethnic cleansing" as occured all too recently in the former Yugoslavia, and appears to be ongoing in parts of Africa, but was more of an "eminent domain" issue of seizing 23 sq miles of land for a military air base and naval support facility. It just happened to be an entire island/ archipelago that was seized. ..... I agree still unpleasant for those relocated, but not at all the same as people killing off their neighbours with tacit support of their government to make way for more people of the same ethnicity.

No, no, I didn't mean "ethnic cleansing" in the sense of killing people - just (!) the physical expulsion of an entire ethnic community. Sorry for the confusion.

scot47 Jun 7th 2015 7:15 pm

Shameful story. Perfidious Albion at its worst.

Pulaski Jun 7th 2015 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11668747)
Shameful story. Perfidious Albion at its worst.

I wouldn't expect a different opinion from you. :rolleyes: Obviously you were looking forward to the closure of Faslane too, as an "alien military encampment".

BritInParis Jun 7th 2015 7:44 pm

The removal of the Chagos Islanders from Diego Garcia is what Argentina would presumably like to happen to the Falkland Islanders.

Gordon Barlow Jun 7th 2015 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11668759)
The removal of the Chagos Islanders from Diego Garcia is what Argentina would presumably like to happen to the Falkland Islanders.

And there are fewer Falklanders than there were Chagossians - although the latter had the misfortune to be brown-skin people who didn't have any friends or relatives in Britain - or any oil under the surrounding waters.

Actually, I'm surprised the Argies don't hammer away at the Chagos precedent for all they're worth. Instead, they bang on about "the geographical imperative" - the Falklands are close to us, therefore we have a righteous claim to them. Like the Spanish and Gibraltar, of course... (For which there is a separate thread in BE's Spain section, if anybody's interested.)

scot47 Jun 8th 2015 9:48 pm

I look forward to the removal of nuclear weapons from Faslane and the development of Faslane as a naval base for an independent Scotland.

Steve_ Jun 9th 2015 1:09 am

I always think this question is totally pointless, because the Falklands apparently have enormous oil reserves offshore, so I suspect what will happen as the oil is exploited is that large numbers of people will immigrate and it will eventually become an independent country, after all it has roughly the same land mass as Northern Ireland.

It's not going to be Argentinian or British. They might pay for the Royal Navy to defend them, but that's about it. Can't see Argentina being able to make a plausible case to invade if the population increases substantially.

Pulaski Jun 9th 2015 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11670003)
I always think this question is totally pointless, because the Falklands apparently have enormous oil reserves offshore. ......

That has been speculated/ rumoured for more than thirty years, but never confirmed or turned into actual oil production despite oil being priced at $100+/barrel for several years.

..... as the oil is exploited is that large numbers of people will immigrate and ...... Can't see Argentina being able to make a plausible case to invade if the population increases substantially.
Try running that line of reasoning past the Kuwaitis. :rolleyes:

CelticRover Jun 28th 2015 8:40 pm

Upping the ante once more.

Argentina will pursue judge order on Falklands drillers: minister

BritInParis Jun 28th 2015 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by CelticRover (Post 11687178)

More meaningless sabre rattling. I take it the Argentine economy is still a complete basket case?