We've arrived!

Old Aug 17th 2018, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Laura101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We've arrived!

Hi,
we arrived on Sunday busy sorting things out at the moment but starting to thing about meeting people! Anybody know any good social groups or events to help us get to know people?

Also does anyone know a good vet in or near the red Bay Area?

thanks for any help
Old Aug 21st 2018, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We've arrived!

Hi & welcome
I am not sure there is a vet in red Bay. Island veterinary services is the one we use on industrial park. Cayman animal hospital are on Crewe Rd which is closer but we haven't used them so not sure how good they are/aren't
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

Island vets are great!
Old Nov 1st 2018, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Rachel12345678 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there, I was just reading your post and interested to see how you have settled in? I'm considering moving out in February so just gathering as much information as possible, thanks Rachel
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Hi,
yes it’s all good! We found a place before we arrived which has worked out well, we are on the bus routes so getting by without a car with the help of some friends! We have been enjoying beach life on the weekends, lots of places to snorkel and eat and drink and popped to Cuba for a few days over half term! We haven’t mastered shopping for clothes etc yet, will need to look into that soon but would recommend bringing what you can with you including snorkelling gear! Let me know if you have any questions
Old Nov 4th 2018, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi sounds as if you have managed to get settled in quite quickly. Im trying to budget for monthly costs. I've used the website recommended to work out costings for accommodation/driving/food etc. Any other advice? Thanks Rachel
Old Nov 4th 2018, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rachel12345678
Hi sounds as if you have managed to get settled in quite quickly. Im trying to budget for monthly costs. I've used the website recommended to work out costings for accommodation/driving/food etc. Any other advice? Thanks Rachel

It is expensive and being a Yorkshireman it has taken ages to adjust. Punnet of mushrooms, Aldi 80p here $2.89. A meal out in a chain pub in the UK, £12 a head, here that gets you a glass of wine. The first month or so is difficult as you try to live at Cayman prices on UK wages but it gets OK once you get paid. The 'home comforts' are expensive also, a tin of quality street (which no one likes even in England) at Christmas got reduced in January to $17.50. Make do without and eat local.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura101
We haven’t mastered shopping for clothes etc yet, will need to look into that soon
For very casual second-hand clothes you should try the NCVO shop behind the GT Hospital. For new clothes, most of us buy in Miami, where the cost is much, much less.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TandD2017
It is expensive and being a Yorkshireman it has taken ages to adjust. Punnet of mushrooms, Aldi 80p here $2.89. A meal out in a chain pub in the UK, £12 a head, here that gets you a glass of wine. The first month or so is difficult as you try to live at Cayman prices on UK wages but it gets OK once you get paid. The 'home comforts' are expensive also, a tin of quality street (which no one likes even in England) at Christmas got reduced in January to $17.50. Make do without and eat local.
Thanks for that helpful advice!!!
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

The information on the website cayman resident is quite accurate, our electricity bill has been higher than they quoted, not sure why but cable and internet were included in the price of the flat so we saved there. We probably spend less on groceries and more on eating and drinking out then they quote but that’s just us! We also only pay $40 for data on 2 mobiles each month which is less than the website quotes but we just unlocked our phones and buy a monthly data package. Also my work pays for my pension and medical insurance so save there too!
What work will you be doing? Are you coming in your own?
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
For very casual second-hand clothes you should try the NCVO shop behind the GT Hospital. For new clothes, most of us buy in Miami, where the cost is much, much less.
thanks I will check it out! I have friends going home at Christmas so planning to get some stuff delivered there for them to bring out but not sure the winter collections they have in the uk at the moment will be ideal! Plus I’ve heard ASOS deliver
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes I'd be coming out on my own. I'd be working in nursing. It's difficult to budget but your replies have been really helpful. Did you just bring clothing and some personal belongings? It sounds as if most apartments come furnished? Thanks R
Old Nov 6th 2018, 1:00 am
Just Joined

I bought clothes and toiletries and cleaning supplies wish I had brought more vests and shorts as they are what I generally wear when I’m not at work!