Rented accommodation

Old Jun 4th 2018, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rented accommodation

https://ecaytrade.com/advert/1953483

That's pretty good for a 2 bed in South Sound with all the amenities. And you have a small retail park next to you.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Laura101 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a one bed going for 1450 at the same place (sunrise apartment) it all sounds great but there are no internal photos for either of them, I have requested some photos but have yet to receive any and although I would maybe take the risk of taking somewhere without seeing it in person I think I would at least need to see some photos!
Old Jun 4th 2018, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Plus it makes me suspicious as to why there aren’t any photos!
Old Jun 4th 2018, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura101
Plus it makes me suspicious as to why there aren’t any photos!
Well, to be fair, the ads are directed to a local audience, not an overseas one. Sunrise is a reasonably good condo development, and reasonably close to Town, and $1500 is not a bad price. But as a general statement, it's not wise to take a place without seeing it. Maybe you could ask your employer to send someone down to take a look at the one that's for rent.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Jmardav is an unknown quantity at this point

Laura,
Are you coming in as a teacher for the ministry? I started last year in August and everyone managed to find accommodation in the 1st week we were staying at the Westin. Hire a car for that week to get around to see everything. Everyone is right don't take somewhere without seeing it. Oceon Club is great and loads of teachers live there. Which school are you going to be at as that will effect where you stay? Small island but traffic can be mad in the morning.

Jo
Old Jul 5th 2018, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

That’s good to hear, we have taken a risk and made an offer on a flat in ocean club, seems to be some problem with the money transfer though 😕 I will be working at lighthouse school, will we have time to sort things out when we arrive? We haven’t had a schedule yet
Old Jul 5th 2018, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

The schedule changes every year but you should have enough time. We worked most Mornings then had afternoons off. Ocean Club will be perfect for Lighthouse infact there is a teacher at the lighthouse who lives there already she’s a friend of a friend. Let me know if you need any more info. I work at John Gray which is the high school. I have loved the last year best decision ever.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 6:11 am
Just Joined

I’m so glad you are enjoying it! The complications we have is that as we have dogs we can’t stay at the westin hence the rush to find accommodation plus neither of us can drive although my partner is learning just not sure if he will have time to take his test let alone pass it! The time has gone by so quickly and only 5 weeks now but we will find a way to make it work!
Old Jul 6th 2018, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m so glad you are enjoying it! The complications we have is that as we have dogs we can’t stay at the westin hence the rush to find accommodation plus neither of us can drive although my partner is learning just not sure if he will have time to take his test let alone pass it! The time has gone by so quickly and only 5 weeks now but we will find a way to make it work!
Ouch, living at Ocean Club without a car is going to be difficult - get that test done as soon as possible!

Of course, you can try and use the very sporadic and unreliable bus system, but you will be pretty out the way of everything that end...
Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Good luck with the test. If not HR are really helpful and people are so friendly that I am sure you will be able to work things out. Everyone remembers what it was like to be in your situation. Also I had no car for the first week and others helped me out. I am back on island on the 10th so would be happy to help as well. I live just round the corner from OC so nearby.

Jo

Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCR
Ouch, living at Ocean Club without a car is going to be difficult - get that test done as soon as possible!

Of course, you can try and use the very sporadic and unreliable bus system, but you will be pretty out the way of everything that end...
Re the driving Licence... Laura needs to take into account that there is a time limit for driving in Cayman on a foreign Licence. I think it's one month (though I'm not sure about that), after which you have to go through the process of taking the Cayman test. I wonder if a bicycle might be a useful option.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Yes I was hoping to get a scooter as I don’t think you need a licence for that but I think it would be useful to have a car as well. Fingers crossed he passes his test!
Old Jul 6th 2018, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I was hoping to get a scooter as I don’t think you need a licence for that but I think it would be useful to have a car as well. Fingers crossed he passes his test!

Ah, well, a kids' scooter doesn't need a licence - the kind of scooter you push along with your leg... But a motor-scooter most certainly does need a licence, and it's a bit of a hoo-hah, too. (My son got one last year, and he was refused at his first appointment because he failed the dress code. I kid you not!)
Old Jul 6th 2018, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

I’m not sure I will pass a fashion test! I thought you needed to do a theory test but not a practical if it is under a certain power?
Old Jul 6th 2018, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I’m not sure I will pass a fashion test! I thought you needed to do a theory test but not a practical if it is under a certain power?
https://caymanresident.com/live/tran...oter-licences/
You may be right about that! Sorry if I have misled you. A friend of mine used to have a motorised bicycle, and I don't think he had a licence of any sort. This page from the New Resident magazine mentions a Group O licence; maybe that's it and you just have to apply without a test.