Rented accommodation

Old May 28th 2018, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Laura101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rented accommodation

Hi,
we are a couple with 2 dogs moving to the Cayman Islands in the middle of August and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice regarding finding somewhere to live e.g.where to find accomodation and when to start looking?
​​​​​​​Thanks for any help!
Old May 28th 2018, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rented accommodation

Laura. It is a general practice for employers here to help migrant employees to find accommodation - or at least to show them where to look. Also, the rules regarding bringing pet dogs. Have you checked out "Cayman Resident" online magazine?
Old May 29th 2018, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Hi,
yes I have looked at the Cayman residence website, we have a company which is helping us with the dogs, there is a lot of paperwork involved but everything seems to be in hand. I'm not expecting my work to help me find accomodation but I might be wrong. I have emailed all the estate agents on Cayman residents had a couple of responses but only to say they will get back to me. I am not sure whether I should expect to find anything in advance or if We will have to wait until we get out there.
Old May 29th 2018, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Ps why so people call it an online magazine? Am I looking at something different because it seems to just be a standard website that doesn't change?
Old May 29th 2018, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura101
Ps why so people call it an online magazine? Am I looking at something different because it seems to just be a standard website that doesn't change?
Yes, I should call it an online book, I guess. It is also an annual 400-page book available in every supermarket on the island, usually on the way out among the free newspapers and advertising magazines. I have five copies of it underneath my computer screen as I type this. The website changes once a year, too - probably according to who advertises in the book and who doesn't.
Old May 29th 2018, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Laura101
I'm not expecting my work to help me find accommodation but I might be wrong.
If you're a schoolteacher, they probably will.
Old May 30th 2018, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

The estate agents aren't interested unless you are here on island in my experience, then show you places that aren't eligible as they don't accept pets or not in the price bracket you specified, I guess estate agents are similar the world over. When I arrived the employer had arranged temporary accommodation up to a certain value until you find a longer term rental, your temporary accommodation choices we found that accept pets are the Holiday Inn (near SMB but a bit of a way out) or Turtle Nest Inn (which we were advised against due to being a longer way out but since learning about the island I personally wouldn't have minded). If you have very deep pockets the Ritz and Kimpton also accept pets and are in the thick of the action on SMB (I wouldn't be putting a penny in Dart's pocket personally by staying at either but that's another story). It took us about 4 weeks to find and get moved into long term rental so my guess is that's a minimum £2000 in hotel fees initially unless you can find strike a better deal, welcome to Cayman!
Old May 31st 2018, 9:33 am
Just Joined

We have been offered a hotel for a week but it is not dog friendly. We have actually booked a few nights at the turtle bay inn, so I am glad you have heard of it as it was tricky to find somewhere dog friendly so we took a chance on the this place! Our pockets are very shallow so we would struggle if we had to stay for 4 weeks in a hotel! I have only really had a response from one of the estate agents I contacted and you are right the properties weren't really what we were looking for. I am going to spend some time on ecaytrade to try and get more of an idea of what are options are and what is likely to come up.
Old May 31st 2018, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Do you know where you are working and what you are looking for in a property i.e. Near Sandy beach (can be expensive) or some where a lot quieter (bigger commute) so we could suggest an area to look for. Most areas are safe, some considered a little rougher but depending on where you hail from in the UK it is all relative.
Old May 31st 2018, 11:34 am
Just Joined

We have heard good things about ocean club and that is the area we have in mind, somewhere between George Town and spotts beach. Although I have been looking on ecaytrade and have seen a couple of nice looking places in the area I think is called Patrick's island. There seem to be a few 2 bed places a little out of our price range and not much on the one bed front. We may end up trying to get somewhere before we arrive which might be a bit of a risk, anything to look out for? Do all places have air con? That's one thing we can't see in the pictures and I would like to avoid a loud air con system as I think these may cause me to get migraines from past experience!
Old May 31st 2018, 11:35 am
Just Joined

We live in East London at the moment!
Old May 31st 2018, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Well that used to be rough but I am not sure it still is since I worked there, it's a bit gentrified in places now! Let's just say there are plenty of rougher places in most Northern cities than anywhere here, so when say 'I wouldn't live there if I was you' It is not worse than a deprived Northern ex mining area or what E1 was like before the toffs bought it all up
Old May 31st 2018, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Yes I would say East London is fine in most areas, where we live it quite quiet which I like! I had some problems in my younger years but we are heading towards middle age now so most people just let us be!
Old May 31st 2018, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Well then anywhere on Island is OK to live - Some areas are more open to thieves but just don't leave them an invite by leaving stuff around. Will work not give you the cash equivalent of the hotel that doesn't accept pets so you can get yourself a few weeks at Turtle Nest?
Old May 31st 2018, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

I assumed they wouldn't pay for it but no harm in asking I guess!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.