Studying in T & T

Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Ayanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying in T & T

I am hoping that the forum members can help me with some background information on studying in Trinidad. I searched the forum but could not really find any information on Trinidad.
I am a qualified Barrister looking to study for 6 months at the Hugh Wooding Law School Sept 2010 and wanted to know if members:

a) know of anyone who has studied in Trinidad
b) what is the cost of living rent etc
c) what about safety
d) any recommended sites that I should visit
e) top 10 do's and don'ts

I am still collating information and doing my homework so any information/guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ayanna
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:50 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in T & T

Originally Posted by Ayanna
I am hoping that the forum members can help me with some background information on studying in Trinidad. I searched the forum but could not really find any information on Trinidad.
I am a qualified Barrister looking to study for 6 months at the Hugh Wooding Law School Sept 2010 and wanted to know if members:

c) what about safety

I am still collating information and doing my homework so any information/guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ayanna
Have you contacted the school and got their recommendations about living arrangements ? Can you stay on campus ?
I would say just be careful, go about with somebody who knows the place.
Do not go out at night alone for any reason.
Do not take any taxi alone or even with strangers, as bandits sometimes pose as taxi drivers. A trick that has been used is for you to get in the taxi as a lone passenger, the taxi then pretends down the road he is picking up a couple of other passengers, who are actually fellow bandits. They will end up robbing you and in some cases even worse.
Gosh the list goes on and on.

Trinidad is generally a lovely vibrant place, but is currently marred by the criminal element who think nothing of murder, kidnap, rape and other attrocities.
To be honest if you were my daughter or sister I would say find somewhere else to study. This has nothing to do with the school, just the very high levels of rampant crime on the island.

So again I would stress you have to go around with people who really know Trinidad.

http://www.ttcrime.com/
http://www.trinidadexpress.com

Last edited by pgtips; Oct 20th 2009 at 9:58 am.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
Have you contacted the school and got their recommendations about living arrangements ? Can you stay on campus ?
I would say just be careful, go about with somebody who knows the place.
Do not go out at night alone for any reason.
Do not take any taxi alone or even with strangers, as bandits sometimes pose as taxi drivers. A trick that has been used is for you to get in the taxi as a lone passenger, the taxi then pretends down the road he is picking up a couple of other passengers, who are actually fellow bandits. They will end up robbing you and in some cases even worse.
Gosh the list goes on and on.

Trinidad is generally a lovely vibrant place, but is currently marred by the criminal element who think nothing of murder, kidnap, rape and other attrocities.
To be honest if you were my daughter or sister I would say find somewhere else to study. This has nothing to do with the school, just the very high levels of rampant crime on the island.

So again I would stress you have to go around with people who really know Trinidad.

http://www.ttcrime.com/
http://www.trinidadexpress.com
PGtips- I contacted the school admissions department with regards to accommodation but they did not have this available and ask that I call back in May as they are currently putting together additional information for student use. May is far to long to wait.
That said, my only other option for study is Jamaica or Bahamas. They don't to my knowledge offer the course in Barbados which would be my preferred option.
Thanks again for the quick response.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:10 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

PGtips- I contacted the school admissions department with regards to accommodation but they did not have this available and ask that I call back in May as they are currently putting together additional information for student use. May is far to long to wait.
That said, my only other option for study is Jamaica or Bahamas. They don't to my knowledge offer the course in Barbados which would be my preferred option.
Thanks again for the quick response.
Bahamas, now that seems more like it, but most probably the most expensive option. Most of the Trinis I know are now based in the UK, US or Canada. I was trying to see if there was anyone in St Augustine, (I think the school is based around there), I could put you in contact with, but no one has sprung to mind as yet. Your best bet would be to try and get accomodation as close to the school as possible and again stick with trusted people who know the place.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:34 pm

Hey, this may be the answer for you, contact some past graduates and see where they recommend to stay. I see my lawyer in St lucia studied there, about 19 years ago though.

Here is the list of some past graduates, do get in touch and let me know if you get any success.

http://www.graduates.com/SchoolMembe...aspx?si=285822

You can always send me a PM once you have made another post.

good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

pgtips you are most helpful- will check out the link and PM you for sure.

Thanks again
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

LawSchoolBound is an unknown quantity at this point

c) what about safety

Thanks in advance
Ayanna
Hi Ayanna!

I'm from Trinidad and I studied in St. Augustine for my post-graduate. I'll try my best to answer some of your questions:

a) Yes, I do, myself included
b) A decent apartment can cost you anywhere from 3kTT and upwards, gated communities at least 6kTT ($500US-$1kUS/month). Food is not expensive (you can get a decent meal for $10US dollars) but can get costly if you choose to dine out frequently at finer establishments. Drinks are pretty cheap as well
c) As with anywhere, watch your surroundings closely and don't travel too late at night unless someone you know can drop you home. Do not take taxis late at night, especiall those with the "P" license. That means they are "private hires", meaning private car owners who choose to drive taxi; they are not registered locally. Only get into taxis with "H" (for Hire) and Maxis, but after hours, don't travel alone. If you can rent or buy a car that would be ideal!
d) www.ttonline.org; www.guardian.co.tt; www.trinidadexpress.com
e) Can't think of any, but you should be fine.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LawSchoolBound
Hi Ayanna!

I'm from Trinidad and I studied in St. Augustine for my post-graduate. I'll try my best to answer some of your questions:

a) Yes, I do, myself included
b) A decent apartment can cost you anywhere from 3kTT and upwards, gated communities at least 6kTT ($500US-$1kUS/month). Food is not expensive (you can get a decent meal for $10US dollars) but can get costly if you choose to dine out frequently at finer establishments. Drinks are pretty cheap as well
c) As with anywhere, watch your surroundings closely and don't travel too late at night unless someone you know can drop you home. Do not take taxis late at night, especiall those with the "P" license. That means they are "private hires", meaning private car owners who choose to drive taxi; they are not registered locally. Only get into taxis with "H" (for Hire) and Maxis, but after hours, don't travel alone. If you can rent or buy a car that would be ideal!
d) www.ttonline.org; www.guardian.co.tt; www.trinidadexpress.com
e) Can't think of any, but you should be fine.
Thanks for the input lawschoolbound it is much appreciated
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you ever been to TNT? If not, what made you decide on school there?

In general, I would say TNT is unsafe for any persons who might give the impression of wealth-- whether you know it or not. In TNT even maxis can be unsafe if you are foreigner with an accent. It might be prudent to hire a person you trust to give you a rundown/tour of POS and the East-West Corridor to get an understanding of the surroundings and how to avoid trouble spots.

You should take time to know which areas are safest to live in before settling on a place. Also, know that this can make you a target as people will assume you have money.

If you don't already, you should learn not only "Trini English" but also Trini patois and gibberish-- can come in handy.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com and http://guardian.co.tt/ for news

Don't be afraid to try the street food -- doubles, burgers, etc.

I've spent time in Trinidad and although it is a lovely place and quite beautiful, the high levels of crime---especially violent crime puts a damper on the activities you can do safely.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by karibspices
If you don't already, you should learn not only "Trini English" but also Trini patois and gibberish-- can come in handy.

Karibspices, so you saying she has to learn three completely new languages before she goes to trini ?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pgtips
Karibspices, so you saying she has to learn three completely new languages before she goes to trini ?
she asked for tips, right?

Besides, if she stays in TNT to join a law firm, she'll need it
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:24 pm

"I doe no wat you mean na"
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tips. Most welcome let me tell you. I have never been to TNT and in order to be called to Bar of Barbados I need to complete a 6 month programme there. Alternatives being Jamaica or Bahamas.
You made me smile when you mention the language. I have an English accent that is generally peppered with a Bajan twang and a few good cuss words if you get on my bad side-think that might help or get me slapped?
All jokes aside, I will be working for a law firm for 3 days a week and in school for 2 days. I would hope not to give off a show of wealth but I know what you mean- foreigners stick out like a sore thumb even if you are black.

What to do eh?