Questions about Bermuda

Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

GavT11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about Bermuda

Hi, my 1st post of here.

I've recently applied for a job in Bermuda.

My 1st question is how long can someone go over to the Island without a work permit? They would not be looking for work. I.e. they'd have an open ticket to return at some point. I've read anything from 21 days to 6 months.... can anyone confirm this for me?

My 2nd question is about renting accommodation with a pet. I have a 1 yr old Beagle who I would want with me. I've seen many advertisements and whereas some say "no pets" there are none that say "pets allowed". Do I take it that if theres not an explicit "no pets" then they are allowed?

Thanks for any help
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

knsc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Questions about Bermuda

Originally Posted by GavT11
Hi, my 1st post of here.

I've recently applied for a job in Bermuda.

My 1st question is how long can someone go over to the Island without a work permit? They would not be looking for work. I.e. they'd have an open ticket to return at some point. I've read anything from 21 days to 6 months.... can anyone confirm this for me?

My 2nd question is about renting accommodation with a pet. I have a 1 yr old Beagle who I would want with me. I've seen many advertisements and whereas some say "no pets" there are none that say "pets allowed". Do I take it that if theres not an explicit "no pets" then they are allowed?

Thanks for any help
1 This is from the Bermuda immigration site

In law, a visitor may remain in Bermuda no more than six months. In order for a visitor to remain in Bermuda longer than six months, he or she must obtain the specific permission of the Minister to remain in Bermuda as a resident.

Generally, on arrival at the airport, a visitor is given leave to stay in Bermuda for up to 21 days. This is because most North American visitors spend only four or five days in Bermuda, whereas visitors from further afield generally stay no more than about three weeks. Where a visitor wishes to stay longer than the initial 21 days, he or she must make an appointment with an Immigration Inspector at the Department of Immigration Headquarters. However, clearly, the Department of Immigration will liaise with the Department of Tourism so that Immigration's policies work in synchronisation with theirs. There is no fee for extensions of a stay of up to three months in total. For stays beyond three months there is a fee ($25.00 in 2002: fees are revised from time-to-time) for each extension.

Extensions are normally given for no more than a total stay of eight weeks. In very exceptional circumstances, extensions may be given for up to five months.

When a visitor leaves Bermuda his or her permission to remain as a visitor ceases at once. For a visitor who returns to Bermuda within six months of his or her last visit, the length of his or her stay will be added to the duration of his or her previous stay. If in this way, a visitor accumulates a total of six months or more in successive visits, he or she will be allowed to land in Bermuda but will not be granted any extensions of stay. He or she will be limited to a stay of no more than 21 days.

A visitor who overstays his or her permission to remain in Bermuda commits an offence against the Bermuda Immigration and Protection Act 1956 and is liable to be placed on the stop list after his or her departure
You must have a return ticket with a date of departure, an open ended ticket will not do and you have to have an address were you will be staying.

2 Rental accommodation is very hard to find and having a dog will put you at a very big disadvantage and a lot of landlords will not rent to you.

Regards
N.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

GavT11 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the information.

another question. Are there many sports clubs for expats to join out in Bermuda? Football (soccer)?? Basketball??
Old Mar 20th 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

afish is an unknown quantity at this point

There are loads of expats sports clubs in Bermuda. You should be spoilt for choice.