Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Practicalities of moving to Grenada

Practicalities of moving to Grenada

Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

ineedabreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Practicalities of moving to Grenada

Hi all

I originally came to Grenada a few months ago for an extended holiday (a sabbatical, if you will) but ended up in a serious relationship which has culminated in marriage (to a Grenadian)...

Anyway, I have a few queries which despite my best efforts I have been unable to get a clear answer to, and was hoping there may be someone here who knows enough to be able to help.

I intend to return to the UK as originally planned at the end of the year and I will probably stay for around 18 months or so to take care of some loose ends. However, our ultimate intention is to live in Grenada.

1) I am aware that I have the right to apply for Grenadian citizenship but at the moment we've decided against this (not least because it's a bit expensive) unless it's the only practical way we can live together in Grenada, so I've been trying to find out what my options are with regards to temporary or permanent residence, and what the cost might be.

2) Can anyone tell me how healthcare works here? Do people use health insurance? From what I've heard it seems like a system closer to some sort of 'national health service' but nobody seems able to give me a definitive answer. As a foreigner is one's entitlement different from that of citizens and/or permanent residents?

3) I am aware that as a non-citizen I would be subject to the usual work permit laws etc - is this the same if you become a permanent resident? And also are there a lot of restrictions on starting up a business in Grenada and would I still be subject to acquiring a work permit?

4) Is there any other advice anyone can give me with regards to my situation?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practicalities of moving to Grenada

Originally Posted by ineedabreak
Hi all

I originally came to Grenada a few months ago for an extended holiday (a sabbatical, if you will) but ended up in a serious relationship which has culminated in marriage (to a Grenadian)...

Anyway, I have a few queries which despite my best efforts I have been unable to get a clear answer to, and was hoping there may be someone here who knows enough to be able to help.

I intend to return to the UK as originally planned at the end of the year and I will probably stay for around 18 months or so to take care of some loose ends. However, our ultimate intention is to live in Grenada.

1) I am aware that I have the right to apply for Grenadian citizenship but at the moment we've decided against this (not least because it's a bit expensive) unless it's the only practical way we can live together in Grenada, so I've been trying to find out what my options are with regards to temporary or permanent residence, and what the cost might be.

2) Can anyone tell me how healthcare works here? Do people use health insurance? From what I've heard it seems like a system closer to some sort of 'national health service' but nobody seems able to give me a definitive answer. As a foreigner is one's entitlement different from that of citizens and/or permanent residents?

3) I am aware that as a non-citizen I would be subject to the usual work permit laws etc - is this the same if you become a permanent resident? And also are there a lot of restrictions on starting up a business in Grenada and would I still be subject to acquiring a work permit?

4) Is there any other advice anyone can give me with regards to my situation?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Nobody has picked up on this so I'll offer you my two cents worth experiences from St Lucia since these islands within the OECS are now "supposed" to be somewhat unified.

1. Here in St Lucia I get a six month stamp in my passport to reside since I own property here and do not choose to be a St Lucian citizen in spite of being entitled to be one by marriage.

2. St Lucia has free medical for citizens and qualified residents thru health centres and the main hospital for in-patients for basic care. For serious stuff one would need to go overseas.

Those who go with private insurance have access to their own hospital plus (usually 80% of) doctor's visits and (usually 80%) of prescription drugs subject to an annual deductible. Where serious treatment is needed your doctor could refer you overseas and the insurance company will pay for what it feels is the reasonable costs for each treatment. For St Lucia, where for instance one needs cancer treatment which is not available here but is in Barbados, the insurance company will pay based upon Barbados rates even though you may choose to go to the UK to get treated.

We use Clico for health in spite of their financial woes and we are now paid up to date (you usually prepay the service provider and then claim from the insurance company). Beggars can't be choosers and I am sixty so my options are limited. There are a number of companies that provide private coverage and these are best accessed thru insurance agents as they are for motor and property insurance.

3. Only Citizenship prevents the need for work permits. You would be allowed to start a business if you have a work permit to do so and this process would be assisted by going into business with your Grenadian spouse.

Immigration rules throughout the Islands appear to be very discretionary and often hard to unravel. I have yet to find a government website that lays it all out other than for Bermuda which grants work permits to over 15% of the population (as does Antigua apparently in some fashion, though mainly to Caricom citizens - unlike Bermuda).

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Aug 18th 2011 at 6:39 pm. Reason: with private insurance
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:21 am
Just Joined

ineedabreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Pistolpete2 I really appreciate your response.

It's so difficult to find the correct information so everything you've told me is a great help.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ineedabreak
Thank you Pistolpete2 I really appreciate your response.

It's so difficult to find the correct information so everything you've told me is a great help.
Overnight it occurred to me that Bermuda, and possibly also Cayman, DO have a Permanent Resident's Certificate that alloweD long-term residents to reside and work without a work permit but not to acquire property. I believe the window has now closed for this in the case of Bermuda as they don't want any more non-Bermudians to have this residency. I'm not aware that there are any other islands that have this facility. Bermuda (not openly) recognises that foreigners play a significant role in its economic development and needs to attract their expertise. Hence the concessions to suggest that Bermuda does the right thing for foreign workers.

St Kitts offers citizenship to those who are prepared to invest in approved property developments above a particular dollar level. This was considered here in St Lucia but has not been activated.