odds and sods

Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

mrsmuffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default odds and sods

Hello out there,
this is my first post after spending quite a while trawling the web for somewhere that had some answers. Looks like this is the place.............hope I'm doing this right, and that someone out there has some advice for a pair of newbies.
So, we're moving to Carriacou pretty soon. The house should be sort of habitable by March next year and it's time to start thinking about all the small details. Maybe some bigger details as well. My dilemma at this point is the shipping of 'stuff'. Is it better to buy things like appliances in the u.k. and ship them in the container with the other house stuff? (And pay the duty on arrival, unless we can convince the customs bods that they are over a year old)
OR, would it be better to buy all these things from, say, Florida or maybe Venezuela or wherever, and get them shipped to Carriacou/Grenada. Or, buy them all in Grenada (haven't actually found a store that has what we want yet, but I bet there area few and we just don't know where they are ). Of course, by 'better' I really mean CHEAPER.
We aren't looking for gold plated handles or anything outrageous, just an average sorta fridge, a hob 'n' oven, a top loader washer and, if it's not out of our budget, maybe even a dishwasher (my excuse is that they save water (-: )

I did hear that SEARS in Coral Gables will ship to the West Indies, but from what I have discovered so far they only ship as far as St. Thomas. Any input on that? Anyone?
If you're reading this and have some tips, I would greatly appreciate hearing them.
We researched every aspect of this move for so long, surely there can't be too many 'orrible surprises to come..........................?
Thanks for being out there,
jenandrob

Last edited by mrsmuffin; Apr 4th 2008 at 7:32 pm. Reason: typo