Moving to St Lucia

Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Doz1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to St Lucia

Hi all,my partner and i are seriously considering moving to St Lucia from the UK sometime this year.We have recently sold our business here and are looking for a new start.My partner would be looking to find work or set some sort of small business up. We plan on renting to start with till we see how things go. Our son who is due to leave the Army soon will be coming too and will also be looking for work. I myself will be hoping to meet up with other ladies in a similar situation, it would be nice to make some new friends out there.
If anyone can offer any advice on job vacancies,possible new business ventures,long term decent rental accommodation and any other bits of advice,it would be greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to getting to know some new people

Dorothy
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to St Lucia

Originally Posted by Doz1
Hi all,my partner and i are seriously considering moving to St Lucia from the UK sometime this year.We have recently sold our business here and are looking for a new start.My partner would be looking to find work or set some sort of small business up. We plan on renting to start with till we see how things go. Our son who is due to leave the Army soon will be coming too and will also be looking for work. I myself will be hoping to meet up with other ladies in a similar situation, it would be nice to make some new friends out there.
If anyone can offer any advice on job vacancies,possible new business ventures,long term decent rental accommodation and any other bits of advice,it would be greatly appreciated.

Dorothy
Hello Dorothy,

Have you been to St Lucia before?

I have lived out here nearly a year now and really love it. There is lots of good accommodation that you can rent and a few business opportunities however you will need to check out the immigration requirements first.
What business did you have in the UK?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:19 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Doz1

Dorothy
in the search box type in St Lucia jobs living etc etc and you'll find the answers to all your questions - plus you need to sort out which visa you'll come on .... work visa if you get a job, or investor visa if you're starting a business.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have lived out here for nearly a year now, I would be very pleased to show you around when you arrive. I know of a nice two bed apartment that will be available for long term rental if you are interested. It is in Marigot Bay and has beautiful views. (Marigot bay is about 5 miles from the capital Castries).
If I can help in anyway please just send me a personal message and I will send you details. I can also advise on most things - well I will try!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

pasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nice

Hello all,

Quick question...is St. Lucia part of the EU or another entity altogether? Just thinking about immigration rules etc.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by pasturesnew
Hello all,

Quick question...is St. Lucia part of the EU or another entity altogether? Just thinking about immigration rules etc.
its just like other commonwealth countries such as Canada, Aus etcc .... it has its own independance so the rules are strictly the same - you need a visa or work permit to reside and live there. If you just pitch up and expect to stay forever with a brit passport ..... no.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

Normally when you arrive you get 42 days visitor stamp in your passport, which you have to go off Island to renew. ie go back to the UK or another Island then come back in to get another 42 day stamp. I have heard that you can also go to customs and immigration and pay a fee to have a further stamp, but I am not sure on this.

If you own a property and have a aliens land holding licence then you can get a stamp for 6 months at a time. After two years you can then apply for residency, which allows you to come and go freely ( again I think this is the case but you will have to check) after 7 years you can then apply for citizenship.

All the above is just my understanding you will have to check on this information unless any of the other forum members can clarify.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by LucyLock
Normally when you arrive you get 42 days visitor stamp in your passport, which you have to go off Island to renew. ie go back to the UK or another Island then come back in to get another 42 day stamp. I have heard that you can also go to customs and immigration and pay a fee to have a further stamp, but I am not sure on this.

If you own a property and have a aliens land holding licence then you can get a stamp for 6 months at a time. After two years you can then apply for residency, which allows you to come and go freely ( again I think this is the case but you will have to check) after 7 years you can then apply for citizenship.

All the above is just my understanding you will have to check on this information unless any of the other forum members can clarify.
yup I think those are the rules - as well as a return ticket before you can even leave the UK .... they wont even let you fly out of UK on a one-way unless you have proof of residency.

the visitors rule is difficult .... we know people who've done it successfully and got back in within days and others who've gone out and come straight back and immigration have stopped them and told them what they're doing is illegal?? so dont know the exact position on the visitors stamp if you're going to do that repeatedly.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

LottieLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LucyLock
I didn't think that you had to go out of the island to get the 42 days renewed. You can just go to the Immigration Office (third Floor Laher Building, Bridge street, Castries) and ask to have your stay extended. The interviews are from 9am to noon, so it's better to get there first thing in the morning.
As long as you have an open-ended ticket back to the UK and you have enough money to survive while you're on the island, I don't think there should be any problems.

That's what happened to me (but my step-dad is Lucian), but it is worth checking with the Immigration department, maybe before you come out, if you are unsure.

HTH

Lottie

Last edited by LottieLou; Apr 6th 2008 at 7:27 pm.