Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

How long did it take kids to settle ?

How long did it take kids to settle ?

Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:58 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long did it take kids to settle ?

One of my biggest concerns about moving to the Caribbean is how the kids will settle in, especially a grumpy 8 year old who insist that he wants to stay in England. How have others found their kids have settled in once the move was made ?
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

CsharpM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long did it take kids to settle ?

While I have no children, I was once a child myself. When we moved from the city to the countryside I was 11. All I could think about was the city and was so sad that we had to leave. However, as soon as school was back in and I made some friends I LOVED it. As soon as he makes some good friends and gets involved in some new activities he'll start to think that maybe moving there was a good idea (but he won't tell you that!).
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter is 3 so a lot younger than yours, she took no time at all to settle in. I am sure it wont take him long as soon as he makes some friends.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:34 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least it seems encouraging. He has been spending time in the Caribbean since he was 4 months old !!! He also spent 2 months in St Lucia when he was 4 and has been back twice since. Mind you whislt we are there after a few weeks he always ask when are we going back home ?
I suppose once we are there we will just have to get him involved in a lot of activities and there are a few children his age in the area we will be and also the international school is just up the road. Fingers crossed he will settle in
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I was 8 and my sister 6 when we moved from the US to Spain. We kids were opposed beforehand as well, and spent a couple of weeks eating only 'safe' food (fried eggs !?). As soon as we met some local children, we were away.
From the city, we moved to an island village and had a grand time.
IMO, children settle very quickly.