Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Grand Turk-relocation advice needed please.

Grand Turk-relocation advice needed please.

Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Piplb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Grand Turk-relocation advice needed please.

We are relocating to Grand Turk in June and need advice on what to bring (or not!), re food, clothes, personal effects, household n kitchen stuff etc. (I've packed my marmite and tea bags). i.e. what would be really useful. Is it okay to bring uk laptop? just buying new one so would be useful to know.

We are going to rent a property; what areas are good to live? Where to avoid? Property rental agents contacts? Are there many expats living there? What social groups/clubs etc.

We will be there for approx 2 years. Exciting but so much to think about so some help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a thousand and one questions rolling about in my head!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grand Turk-relocation advice needed please.

Teabags, marmite and bathing suit and you are good to go!
Laptops are dual voltage as are most electronic items - forget the electric items though they wont work. As for clothes, your way of dressing will probably change considerably - just bring basics, maybe just one suit and formal shoes and light casual clothes. I found my shoes fell apart in the Caribbean very quickly and I hence use that as the reason for buying lots of shoes every year!
I dont know about Turks, had a couple of friends who moved there, they loved the peacefulness and there is an expat community. In Cayman rentals are furnished and you just bring your own bedding and towels.
Good Luck
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

GTDC is an unknown quantity at this point

Money (lots) and a sense of the ridiculous.

GT is the kind of Island you can go to 5 different stores and not find a tomato for $5.00

There is no Branson Pickle, twiglets, cheese (other than extruded orange processed stuff), bangers, HP sauce, Major Gray's. etc. Sorry I don't speak the language. Bring your own spices. Little but jerk seasoning on Island.

Voltage is 120, Brits everywhere. Americans and Canadians also. People of the Shire frequent the Osprey Beach Hotel bar.

West Road and Back Salina are not as nice as Palm Grove, Breezy Brae, The Ridge, Cork Tree, etc.

Deb Vierra 649-242-1991 is a great agent.

[email protected]

Best of luck
Al (cheeky bugger)
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much folks, reassuring I'm on the right track! Did you mean I should not bring my laptop? I'm gonna struggle without cheese ( but my waistline will be happier)!

Any and all further info welcomed.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Unless your lap top charger has a 120V, American style plug or an adapter that will allow it to run in 120V 60hz (UK is 230v 50hz?) don't bring it. Most desk top units have a change over switch on the back but I don't know about laptops.

My favourite Scouser in the whole world pointed out that I shouldn't even be on this forum since I'm American BUT I have been living on GT for many years on and off. Since she's off doing stuff I thought I'd reply. I'm sure she'll jump in later.

Anything electric or video has to be to US standard and for the North American market. So if bringing DVD's they won't play in most DVD players here because it's a different region.

Cheers,
Al
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I have owned four laptops over the past fifteen years and travel extensively and all four have been dual voltage so have been able to use them everywhere - just need a travel adapter. Check your laptop. My phone (BB) and camera charger (Pentax) also work when I travel to the UK.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

I'd like to offer my tuppence worth as a Brit that has been here for pretty much 7 years now....

If you're on any regular medication you should be able to get it here or a US equivalent, it may be worth checking with your doc to see what alternatives you can use.
Bring some passport photo's with you, if your pp gets lost or expires it is very hard to get regulation photo's here (took me 6 attempts to get my pp replaced..).
See your dentist before you come..
If you are female and your work environment requires tights, bring a good supply with you! Face cream and eye make up remover can be hard to come by too.

If it's your first time out of UK you will definitely miss some of the things you take for granted, Sunday newspapers, M&S cotton undies, jumping in the car on a Sunday to buy something you forgot at the supermarket, cider, paxo.. the list goes on... ignore my favourite New Yorker, you can get cheese other than yellow plastic squares, you just need to know where to go!
We have several good supermarkets and once you're used to the US version of what you're looking for you stop missing things but as Al mentioned it usually takes 5 attempts to get everything on your shopping list!

Remember you will be here for hurricane season, anything sentimental or personal (photo's etc) you bring with you have the potential of being lost.. (sorry for the doom and gloom, but it's a fact of life..)

Kitchen items and linens are readily available but the quality is usually pretty poor so bring anything with you that you know you use regularly.. eg can opener.

What sort of property are you looking to rent, house or apartment, one or 2 bed? Deb is definitely your fist contact, she will show you around and give you advice on connecting utilities etc.
You will need transport when you are here, you can buy second hand bikes and vehicles on the island or take a look at;
http://www.japanesevehicles.com/?gcl...FcOd7QodXUGxHA

Feel free to shoot any more questions this way if you have any.

Chris
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GTDC
I'd like to offer my tuppence worth as a Brit that has been here for pretty much 7 years now....

If you're on any regular medication you should be able to get it here or a US equivalent, it may be worth checking with your doc to see what alternatives you can use.
Bring some passport photo's with you, if your pp gets lost or expires it is very hard to get regulation photo's here (took me 6 attempts to get my pp replaced..).
If you are female and your work environment requires tights, bring a good supply with you! Face cream and eye make up remover can be hard to come by too.

If it's your first time out of UK you will definitely miss some of the things you take for granted, Sunday newspapers, M&S cotton undies, jumping in the car on a Sunday to buy something you forgot at the supermarket, cider, paxo.. the list goes on... ignore my favourite New Yorker, you can get cheese other than yellow plastic squares, you just need to know where to go!
We have several good supermarkets and once you're used to the US version of what you're looking for you stop missing things but as Al mentioned it usually takes 5 attempts to get everything on your shopping list!

Remember you will be here for hurricane season, anything sentimental or personal (photo's etc) you bring with you have the potential of being lost.. (sorry for the doom and gloom, but it's a fact of life..)

Kitchen items and linens are readily available but the quality is usually pretty poor so bring anything with you that you know you use regularly.. eg can opener.

What sort of property are you looking to rent, house or apartment, one or 2 bed? Deb is definitely your fist contact, she will show you around and give you advice on connecting utilities etc.
You will need transport when you are here, you can buy second hand bikes and vehicles on the island or take a look at;

Chris
Thanks a million for ur response, v useful especially re hurricanes!! Hadn't thought round losing valuables etc. (but had thought re hurricanes!!!). I'll definitely post some more questions, so many quizzing I'll have to pin them down first!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Chris
2-3 bed max. Don't care what type re house apartment. What are rents average?

Thanks for links, advice and offer re questions, I'll certainly have plenty more.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner... just heard about a lovely 2 bed house coming available in June.. contact <snip>

Last edited by Sue; Apr 26th 2011 at 8:36 pm. Reason: Best not to post an email address on the public forum, it will get picked up by spam bots. Instead share via PM
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner... just heard about a lovely 2 bed house coming available in June.. contact <snip>
Excellent Sue-where? Who is agent? Cost?

(also what is pm re posting details?).
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Apologies to all, I didn't mean to publish the email address..