Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

EU citizen for sunshine telecommute and minimal paperwork - possible?

EU citizen for sunshine telecommute and minimal paperwork - possible?

Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Briskette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EU citizen for sunshine telecommute and minimal paperwork - possible?

Hello everybody.

I'm French, speak English and Spanish, and I would like to go live in the sunshine - in the Caribbean. I've travelled extensively in Africa in my life but don't like it as much as the Caribbean.

I need to earn my living for five years before I finally get my retirement pension. I was hoping to telecommute to earn enough till that time. I hate papers, and was hoping one of these beautiful islands in the Caribbean would welcome someone with no debts, no burden to society, no criminal background etc... And I didn't want the French islands of Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint-Martin and Saint-Barth (because being self-employed in France will kill my e-business with mountains of paperwork and unreasonably high taxes).

Now, everywhere I looked there are possibilities to make wonderful offshore low tax businesses for the rich, but I have yet to find one place where a little one like me who just wants a simple small e-business with not much funds is feasible. I don't mind paying reasonable fees or taxes. Also, I've looked at the residence papers requirements and most ask for all sorts of legalisation, apostilles, of numerous personal papers, and I would have liked to keep that to a minimum. Some places you apply for residence when there, others you have to request from abroad, some do not allow you to travel away once you have the residence papers, others tax importing used household items 100%, some will not allow my pet-birds, etc... In some places the Internet is not good (which is all-important to me), or have power cuts. In other places, it takes two years of residence before you can even apply for a savings' account.

All I need is this: renting a rather large apartment (I have many things to bring over) with a large terrace where I can put a large aviary with my birds brought from France. I don't mind if it's not near the beach, if there's no furniture, if it's old and not repainted, if the tiles fall off the walls, but I do need a really good Internet connection, telephone, fax and electricity. Water of course. Or all of this in a house and garden even if the garden is a jungle. Not too much time differences with some of the United States with which I'll do my e-business. I also need normal personal/business bank/postal account for normal ebusiness daily operations. I want to have a base on one of the islands and to be able to travel between the various islands during rainy seasons in one, to have sunshine in another. I like warm/hot weather, even humid/tropical. In a relatively safe/secure place (I'm a single woman). I'm mostly a loner and do not need too much social interaction. I'm a good cook and can feed myself with local produce.

If I still like this life five years down the road, then I'll buy a property when my business has brought in enough money to top off my own savings and retirement pension.

I'm willing to provide some paperwork but not to have to dig in my old cardboard boxes to find antique parchments! I could easily provide: ID, birth certificate, my two husbands deaths certificates, bank or personal references, police record, pictures, resume, health-accident insurance policy. The lot translated into whatever language by a sworn translator, and which I would bring over.

So, as EU citizen, would I encounter such good conditions of emigrating in the outlying territories of European countries such as:

- Aruba
- Netherlands Antilles (Bonaire, Saba, Sin Eustatius)
- Anguilla
- Bermuda
- BVI
- Cayman
- MontSerrat
- Turks and Caicos

Anywhere else comes to mind?

I've already looked at:

- Caribbean
Antigua, Barbados, Jamaica, Grenada, Dominican Republic, Saint-Lucia

- Central America
Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Belize

- South America
Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, French Guyana, Guyana

Many thanks for any guidance you may be able to provide, because at this stage, I just don't know where to go... and I want out of Europe in a few months' time at most, I've had enough here (sigh).

Briskette

Last edited by Briskette; Nov 27th 2008 at 12:50 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:08 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU citizen for sunshine telecommute and minimal paperwork - possible?

Well you dont ask for much
There are several islands you can go, I am not sure who will welcome your birds. Which islands in the Caribbean do you like ? maybe visit them for an extended stay and make some eenquiries with the officials whilst you are there.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

vergica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EU citizen for sunshine telecommute and minimal paperwork - possible?

Why Florida is not on your list. Same thing beaches, fishing...
I was looking myself and found out mainland offers much more than an Island...
Old Dec 11th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by vergica
Why Florida is not on your list. Same thing beaches, fishing...
I was looking myself and found out mainland offers much more than an Island...
Cost of medical treatment/insurance?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Briskette
Hello everybody.

I'm French, speak English and Spanish, and I would like to go live in the sunshine - in the Caribbean. I've travelled extensively in Africa in my life but don't like it as much as the Caribbean.

I need to earn my living for five years before I finally get my retirement pension. I was hoping to telecommute to earn enough till that time. I hate papers, and was hoping one of these beautiful islands in the Caribbean would welcome someone with no debts, no burden to society, no criminal background etc... And I didn't want the French islands of Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint-Martin and Saint-Barth (because being self-employed in France will kill my e-business with mountains of paperwork and unreasonably high taxes).

Now, everywhere I looked there are possibilities to make wonderful offshore low tax businesses for the rich, but I have yet to find one place where a little one like me who just wants a simple small e-business with not much funds is feasible. I don't mind paying reasonable fees or taxes. Also, I've looked at the residence papers requirements and most ask for all sorts of legalisation, apostilles, of numerous personal papers, and I would have liked to keep that to a minimum. Some places you apply for residence when there, others you have to request from abroad, some do not allow you to travel away once you have the residence papers, others tax importing used household items 100%, some will not allow my pet-birds, etc... In some places the Internet is not good (which is all-important to me), or have power cuts. In other places, it takes two years of residence before you can even apply for a savings' account.

All I need is this: renting a rather large apartment (I have many things to bring over) with a large terrace where I can put a large aviary with my birds brought from France. I don't mind if it's not near the beach, if there's no furniture, if it's old and not repainted, if the tiles fall off the walls, but I do need a really good Internet connection, telephone, fax and electricity. Water of course. Or all of this in a house and garden even if the garden is a jungle. Not too much time differences with some of the United States with which I'll do my e-business. I also need normal personal/business bank/postal account for normal ebusiness daily operations. I want to have a base on one of the islands and to be able to travel between the various islands during rainy seasons in one, to have sunshine in another. I like warm/hot weather, even humid/tropical. In a relatively safe/secure place (I'm a single woman). I'm mostly a loner and do not need too much social interaction. I'm a good cook and can feed myself with local produce.

If I still like this life five years down the road, then I'll buy a property when my business has brought in enough money to top off my own savings and retirement pension.

I'm willing to provide some paperwork but not to have to dig in my old cardboard boxes to find antique parchments! I could easily provide: ID, birth certificate, my two husbands deaths certificates, bank or personal references, police record, pictures, resume, health-accident insurance policy. The lot translated into whatever language by a sworn translator, and which I would bring over.

So, as EU citizen, would I encounter such good conditions of emigrating in the outlying territories of European countries such as:

- Aruba
- Netherlands Antilles (Bonaire, Saba, Sin Eustatius)
- Anguilla
- Bermuda
- BVI
- Cayman
- MontSerrat
- Turks and Caicos

Anywhere else comes to mind?

I've already looked at:

- Caribbean
Antigua, Barbados, Jamaica, Grenada, Dominican Republic, Saint-Lucia

- Central America
Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Belize

- South America
Brazil, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, French Guyana, Guyana

Many thanks for any guidance you may be able to provide, because at this stage, I just don't know where to go... and I want out of Europe in a few months' time at most, I've had enough here (sigh).

Briskette
Have you looked specifically at the north coast of the Dominican Republic, around the Sosua area. There is a large European/North American expat population there and therefore most of the services you will require. There is even a UK club (perish the thought).

Property prices are reasonable with no serious crime and the area is well served with international airports. Immigration is relatively easy. Have a look at this real estate site for the area:

http://www.juanperdomo.com/