A year gone by

Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about
Default A year gone by

12 months have gone in Torrono with its shares of ups and down’s. I can’t profess to be somebody who says straight away that I love Canada and its way’s.

For me Canada was not really an option I had considered as I was due to head to the land down under however Cupid had different ideas and my love life has brought me here and it is home.

In summary my year has been:
  • Halloweening – I had always wanted to go as a child but wasn’t allowed to. Finally I can
  • My personal culture shock came from my first grocery-shopping trip where I was looking for Ribena and the blank look upon the OH’s face hit me for six! I’m pleased to note that they are now in my local No Frills so I am a happy bunny.
  • Making acquaintances from a volunteering role I took up when I was on a visitor’s visa. I haven’t made any actual friends here yet but I know that will take time. I have been lucky that my OH’s friends and family are a good bunch.
  • Got through a snowy winter and came face to face with minus double figures in Montreal with the wind chill winning and making me cry!
  • Loved the street festivals in the summer, Taste of Danforth and all the other Tastes of and the CNE these were great. Luckily did not try that crazy cronut thing.
  • Visited parts of the East Coast of Canada – beautiful places and loved Halifax. Fabulous place to have been for Canada Day.
  • Started a job two months after getting my IEC (which this year applying for was a complete game show to put it nicely!) with a temping agency. I should still be working now but an extension was retracted so am back to the drawing board. The job was in my field so some of that elusive Canadian experience is on the resume.
  • I’ve been lucky to have a couple of friends from home visit me and got them to bring my beloved food goodies from home…am still savouring some Mr Kipling Cherry Bakewells for just in case emergencies.
  • Finally, just finished preparing the pack for the OH to sponsor me for my PR and will have a glass once its been sent off now that we qualify as Common Law…hopefully the seemingly recently quick processing time ‘s will apply so I don’t have to bother with the IEC again.

Likes: Open space and seats on subway to work even at 8:30am, blue skies of TO, bike trails, Bulk Barn, Guilty Pleasure = Tim Horton’s French Vanilla, Sunday Caesar's, Price Matching, 9-5 job and did what was on the tin and left home bang on 5, and the feeling of the city being a safe place to live.

Dislikes: Streetcar etiquette, -26 degrees also for that matter +30 degrees, CIC hotline, the Banking system drives me crazy, driving on the other side of the road, missing family events, construction galore and of course the cheese!

So all in all it has been a bit of a mixed bag in getting used to life over this side of the pond. It has been good for most of the time and it is my home. I am grateful that I was not in a position where I moved with a family, had to find somewhere to live and a job straight away etc– kudos’s to those of you that do move as a family and make a go of it and those achieving PR through other routes rather than just shacking up with a native!, it is a pleasure reading your stories.

Here’s to the next 12 months!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Vwera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A year gone by

Congrats on your canniversary! Here's to many more beautiful years.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Good luck with your sponsorship. I do not wish a second year of applying to IEC for you either (torture)!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Congratulations on year 1, hope you continue to enjoy it.